Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > Derby City Classic/Southern Classic
Reload this Page DCC Restaurant Comments anyone?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Deadon
AzB Silver Member
Deadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond reputeDeadon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-15-2007, 02:55 AM

As every year, the best food was in the snack bar down by the tounament room.

Old
  (#17)
vagabond
AzB Silver Member
vagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 06:06 AM

Based on the comments I read last year and this year it appears that the restaurant owner may be greedy besides lacking respect to the pool players.

Old
  (#18)
tiptoety
Just call me Ty
tiptoety is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to tiptoety Send a message via Yahoo to tiptoety  
Talking 01-15-2007, 07:35 AM

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Some of you went back a 3rd time. Don't know a cliche for you guys

Playing cue: Meucci
Break cue: Players B/J
Other Cues: Dodson Tadpole Jump
Years Playing: 22
Pool Idols: Jose Parica, Ralf Souquet
Favorite game: Straight, 1 pocket, and 1 ball

Old
  (#19)
BHQ
we'll miss you
BHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 08:20 AM

i should have learned my lesson last year
it was terrible
thought i would give them another try this year
hard to believe it could get worse than the previous year but it did!!!
the burgers in the bar are decent
but the service is terrible
i had to TELL the waitress to clean the table
the crap from the previous customer must not have been noticeable to her
ash trays full
dirty dishes still on table
then the dumb ***** looks at me like i'm from mars when i ask for a menu
forget getting silverware, you have to ask at least twice for it
by the time you get it, you're done eating
refills??? what's that???

Old
  (#20)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member
xianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Not that its an excuse by any means.....

but if I had to "serve" some of the a$$hats in the pool world I would prolly be a little pissy also. 13 days of TRASHING the action room every night, tipping poorly and having a bunch of arrogant men treat me like im worthless. I bet the wait staff hate the derby.

Ian

Old
  (#21)
BHQ
we'll miss you
BHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianmacx
Not that its an excuse by any means.....

but if I had to "serve" some of the a$$hats in the pool world I would prolly be a little pissy also. 13 days of TRASHING the action room every night, tipping poorly and having a bunch of arrogant men treat me like im worthless. I bet the wait staff hate the derby. Ian
TRU ENUFF. HEY, BONNIE HAS BEEN TRYING TO GET AHOLD OF YOU . SHE CALL YOU YET???

Old
  (#22)
satman
AzB Silver Member
satman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 08:48 AM

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but, my friend and his girlfriend ate at the restaurant twice and they both said their food was horrible and the price was too. I think he said he had a chef salad and they charged like 9 or 10 dollars for it. I didn't eat there this year. I stayed for 2 days the first weekend and Thursday and Fri. the next week. I took a cooler and had sandwiches to survive on.
The first week, a lady came to our door and dropped off a room service menu. I guess the menu and prices change from whats normally in the guest book in the rooms.
Sounds to me like a lot of the staff in the rest. has been to the Bahama's taking lessons on service. The big difference for them here is, they aren't automatically gonna get a tip. In the Bahama's, a 15% tip is on everything, even if you walk to the bar and order a beer, the tip is added to the price.
It is still the best tournament in the world to go to. DCC is a great vacation for anyone who likes pool at all. Sam

dcc-food
Old
  (#23)
stick8
AzB Silver Member
stick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond reputestick8 has a reputation beyond repute

dcc-food - 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM

just got back after 5 days, and the buffet were good both morning and evening, service good, off the menu, was a no no STICK

stick

Old
  (#24)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-15-2007, 02:25 PM

I did eat at the restaurant several times. I had their soup three times. They called it "Country Style Burgoo," something between beef stew and vegetable beef soup. I have no idea what any other style burgoo is like.

I had a fish sandwhich that was pretty good. I had a burger that was somewhere between disappointing and horribly amateur.

Best meal I had was across the street at the Executive Inn which still had their full menu, a fantastic buffet, and tremendous service with a smile. I also had a great meal at the CrackerBarrel.

Longest wait was when we ordered Chinese delivery. After about 15 minutes, I handed the menu to another player who promptly ordered some delivery. The Chinese restaurant decided to wait until his stuff was done before making the three mile trek to the Executive West. All in all, it was about an hour and 15 minutes. Tasted great, though.

And finally, the concession stand added fried pork cutlet and fried chicken cutlet sandwiches to their otherwise pathetic offerings. They also had deli sandwiches which probably was their best bet. Still, I had my share of late night nasty chili dogs. When you're hungry, and it's 5:00 AM, I could'nt expect a gourmet meal, right?

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Last edited by Cornerman; 01-15-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Old
  (#25)
Ummagumma

vCash:

01-15-2007, 03:44 PM

I can handle mediocre food (just put ketchup and mustard on it to make it taste good), but bad service really grills my goose, so to speak.

Here's a breakdown of my experience:

1st time: Service was prompt. An older blonde lady was my server, and there were no complaints. I ordered a fruit salad, ate 10 bites, asked to get the rest of it to go. No problems.

2nd time: From the time I sat down to when I received a menu, it was a 15-minute wait! Server never apologized for the wait. Another 10 minutes for the hamburger. Server apologized for the wait on that. This was about 2pm, so it wasn't that busy. Went up to pay check. Assistant manager and restaurant managers that were there never asked stuff like, "Hello, how are you, how was your meal." She was busy talking (not to me).

3rd time: Joined some friends who were already at the table at around dinner time. They had already ordered food. 10 or 15 minutes later, they still didn't receive their food, but server came by and stated it was late because the cod some of them ordered took the longest. I was thinking of ordering, but changed my mind. I left and I heard later it took another 10 minutes at least for them to get food.

Rest of the times were average. However, a bunch of small things:

- If you ask for relish or mayo, at least take it out of the small condiment packages and serve it in a cup! It's kind of tacky otherwise.

- If you ask for a burger with no onions, and for mustard, please don't bring a burger with onions, and don't force me to go hunt down a bottle of mustard.

I am not defending the restaurant at all, but like another poster said, I wonder at the small handful of players that may make them resent us. At the cash register, some guy gave $25 to the cashier and muttered "keep the change" and walked out. I looked at the bill and it was for $23.85. I cannot judge, and perhaps he really had bad service.

Old
  (#26)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 03:59 PM

Buffet on Jan. 8th was PATHETIC!!!
I may never eat swiss steak again.

Old
  (#27)
Craig Fales
Registered bubinga user
Craig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400
  Send a message via MSN to Craig Fales Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Fales  
01-15-2007, 06:20 PM

I ate there numerous times and for the most part it was average at best...only one time did I have a problem...when I ordered the T-bone it came to me less than a quarter of an inch thick and was grisly as hell...I sent it back and the "manager" said they were all like that...I told him that I ordered it earlier in the week and it wasn't anything like that and said forget about it and ordered the shrimp fettucine which was pretty good...
________

Last edited by Craig Fales; 08-25-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Food !
Old
  (#28)
Tommyd1
AzB Silver Member
Tommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond reputeTommyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

Food ! - 01-15-2007, 06:38 PM

I ate in the Hotel Restraunt for three of the day's that I was there. I thought the food was great. But you have to know, that I'm an old single guy that thinks Campbells Chicken Soup is great and served with crackers, is a Gormet Meal.

They did have a Bluegrass Eggs Benedict, that was fantastic, plus I got to see quite a few of the Champions there!!!

Beats Denny's in Michigan.

Tommyd1

Tommyd1

Old
  (#29)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member
sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
Based on the comments I read last year and this year it appears that the restaurant owner may be greedy besides lacking respect to the pool players.

I think if he was greedy, he would have been there, making sure that everything was going well and that players were taken care of so they'd come back and spend all their money there. More likely, he's not greedy and his manager is apathetic.

Sometimes greed is a good thing.

Cheers,
RC

Old
  (#30)
cueaddicts
AzB Gold Member
cueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 12000

01-15-2007, 08:54 PM

We have just quit trying to eat anything other than breakfast at the hotel there. The breakfast buffet is OK...as long as your timing is good. Service there in the a.m. has always seemed to be good and sometimes even great.

Incidently, we noticed that the Cracker Barrel nearby was AWFUL this year, which really was a suprise to me from years past. Little gal that waited on us there spilled my buddy's breakfast on me....not even an apology. Food was below par for them. One very pleasant surprise for us this year was the Cardinal HOF Grill that's about 5-10 mins from the hotel. Their menu choices, service, food, etc. was absolutely SUPERB. If anyone is ever in the area or for the DCC next year....give it a try.

Sean

Last edited by cueaddicts; 01-15-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: