Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > Derby City Classic/Southern Classic
Reload this Page DCC Restaurant Comments anyone?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
cuedoctor
AzB Silver Member
cuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond reputecuedoctor has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-15-2007, 09:07 PM

I ate there 3 days and my service was great,3 old lady's and they were on top of everything.The food was another story.I had the reuben one day and burger the next and they were ok.I took one look at the dinner buffet and ran like hell,there was a dead cat on 264 coming in that looked better Breakfeat was very good,they lost money on that deal!

Old
  (#32)
dacue
AzB Silver Member
dacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

01-15-2007, 09:47 PM

It was bad, bad food, bad service, and will always be bad! The place is will never be a 5 star-or any star restaurant. The Derby pie is the only thing they serve, that is excellent. (they do not make it on site, they just serve it!). Better luck next year. Other than the food being bad. Everything else, I had a great time.
Dave

Old
  (#33)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2007, 10:08 PM

you shoudlve stayed at a better hotel on the outskirts of the town.

They have a cheesecake factory there which they do make on sitet. ITs awesome.

You'll shouldve ordered food from the town they have some awesome diners, with great service. The burger joint on 4th near catherine street, place is busy every lunch hour, cheesefries, bacon fries, gets me hungry thinking about it.

chili
Old
  (#34)
JOEY
AzB Silver Member
JOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond repute

chili - 01-16-2007, 03:56 AM

i had the chili about 4 times...lol, it wasnt bad at all. also, i had the breakfast buffet which was ok... the gravy was runny though.
joey

pleasantly surprised
Old
  (#35)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

pleasantly surprised - 01-16-2007, 08:11 AM

After reading all the bad reports from previous years DCC's about the restaurant food I almost didn't even try the restaurant when I went to DCC this year. Well I had 2 breakfast buffets, 1 dinner buffet and ordered off the menu once. All of the food was good, not great. The service was very good I thought. So I was pleasantly surprised.
I especially liked that the breakfast buffet was available up until 1pm.

Old
  (#36)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpoole
I especially liked that the breakfast buffet was available up until 1pm.
Well what I really didn't like was that it wasn't open at 5:30 AM. Hell, McDonald's is open all night. They had hundreds of starving pool players right there, and they didn't think it necessary to open up earlier than usual.

We (Tims and I) could smell what they were cooking, but were told they weren't going to open for another hour. Teasing bastards. So it was off to the Waffle House for us.

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#37)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueandcushion
Post your experiences with the restaurant this year. I did notice that it was never as busy as it used to be. Everyone eating out now? Has it gotten THAT bad? ...
My routine was to get up at 9:30, get plenty of the breakfast buffet, and then get sandwiches or chili from the snack stand as needed. I usually lasted until about 9PM on breakfast. Grits! The service at breakfast was fine. From the stories about the dinner buffet, I'm glad I didn't try it. I do remember that it was disappointing a couple of times last year.

Breakfast with tip is $12.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#38)
Williebetmore
Member, .25% Club
Williebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 583

01-16-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett
My routine was to get up at 9:30, get plenty of the breakfast buffet, and then get sandwiches or chili from the snack stand as needed. I usually lasted until about 9PM on breakfast. Grits! The service at breakfast was fine. From the stories about the dinner buffet, I'm glad I didn't try it. I do remember that it was disappointing a couple of times last year.

Breakfast with tip is $12.
Bob,
That was EXACTLY my routine as well.

I will point out for those desiring a more refined cuisine, that there is a great restaurant 4.3 miles away - Lynn's Paradise Cafe - open's at 7 A.M. - serves breakfast all day, but has gourmet food for dinner and lunch as well - very bizarre and eclectic decor. I always try to go there once or twice if I can tear my friends away from the venue.

Old
  (#39)
curly
AzB Silver Member
curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

01-16-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebetmore
Bob,
That was EXACTLY my routine as well.

I will point out for those desiring a more refined cuisine, that there is a great restaurant 4.3 miles away - Lynn's Paradise Cafe - open's at 7 A.M. - serves breakfast all day, but has gourmet food for dinner and lunch as well - very bizarre and eclectic decor. I always try to go there once or twice if I can tear my friends away from the venue.
Thanks for the tip Willie...we'll try it next year. We had the breakfast buffet and the dinner buffet twice. We then went to Golden Coral one nite and Bob Evans another nite. The only problem leaving the hotel is finding a parking spot when returning. I circled for 40 minutes!! We also had some sandwiches at the snack bar which were ok. The dinner buffet wasn't that good. Maybe next year we'll try the bowling alley across the street..some say it was pretty good and reasonable.

Curly

Hotel Sends Guest Survey
Old
  (#40)
Tim5000
Tim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTim5000 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1525

Hotel Sends Guest Survey - 01-19-2007, 07:43 PM

The hotel sent me an email survey. That was a mistake. I went off on the restaurant. Here's what I wrote...

I was with Derby City Classic Billiard group. The restaurant & buffet need attention. Staff is reasonably friendly, but everyone seems unmotivated & slow. As if they need more strick supervision & motivation. About the food, I would rate it near hospital, or airline quality at best! THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHO FEEL THE SAME WAY, YOUR RESTAURANT IS BECOMING NOTORIOUS, CHECK THIS WEB FORUM FOR COMMENTS FROM OUR GROUP, IT'S REALLY SAD. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51580

Hotel Survey
Old
  (#41)
curly
AzB Silver Member
curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Hotel Survey - 01-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim5000
The hotel sent me an email survey. That was a mistake. I went off on the restaurant. Here's what I wrote...

I was with Derby City Classic Billiard group. The restaurant & buffet need attention. Staff is reasonably friendly, but everyone seems unmotivated & slow. As if they need more strick supervision & motivation. About the food, I would rate it near hospital, or airline quality at best! THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHO FEEL THE SAME WAY, YOUR RESTAURANT IS BECOMING NOTORIOUS, CHECK THIS WEB FORUM FOR COMMENTS FROM OUR GROUP, IT'S REALLY SAD. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51580
Yeah, I got a survey too and rated the restaurants food bad. I've been to all 9 DCC and the restaurant was always "questionable". The breakfast buffet was ok but the dinner buffet sucked. No dessert on the buffet and a poor selection. Also, not a good menu to select from. We went out to eat alot but would have rather ate at the hotel. You'd think they would have improved with all the complaints over the years...guess it falls on deaf ears!

Curly

Old
  (#42)
Timberly

vCash:

01-19-2007, 08:17 PM

Last yr I ate at the breakfast buffet my first morning there and never went back. I stuck to ordering burgers from the bar and chili from the snack stand.

This yr I had no intentions of setting foot in the restaurant. Enter one long night of drinking and the smell of bacon wafting through the lobby when I was on my way up to my room.... I found myself at the breakfast bar. This time the gravy was edible and not runny. The bacon was good and the hash browns were hot. I was pleasantly surprised.

The first burger I ordered was supposed to be cooked medium but was closer to rare. The 2nd burger a few days later took longer to get but was done correctly.

From the snack bar, I had a turkey & swiss sandwich. I was impressed by the amount of turkey on the sandwhich. The pulled pork was good... the sauce was a little sweet for my tastes but otherwise fine. The chili was really bland and in desperate need of some hot sauce, which wasn't provided. The coffee from the snack bar was ATROCIOUS.

I was surprised at the minimal menu but figured it was their way of not only making things easier on them but a way for them to maybe raise the bar so to speak on the food quality. They seemed to pick foods that are of little expense to the restaurant and also easy to prepare and difficult to mess up. In talking to Greg towards the end, he asked me about the food and said that they were making an effort to improve. Limiting the menu and sending out questionnaires about the food service and quality, leads me to believe that they are in fact starting to take the patrons of the DCC a little more serious.

As far as service goes... I think they could stand to have two bartenders on each night. The 5 PM crowd was way more than the elderly blonde bartender could handle and while the younger girls handled the later crowd fairly decently, I still think they could've doubled up on bartenders for the week.

Old
  (#43)
Ktown D
Neverwuzzz
Ktown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 75
  Send a message via MSN to Ktown D  
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberly
I think they could stand to have two bartenders on each night. The 5 PM crowd was way more than the elderly blonde bartender could handle and while the younger girls handled the later crowd fairly decently, I still think they could've doubled up on bartenders for the week.
Next year I am going to request that they hire an extra bartender just for me and the notorious crew.

Old
  (#44)
Timberly

vCash:

01-19-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktown D
Next year I am going to request that they hire an extra bartender just for me and the notorious crew.
The waitress couldn't keep up with us... one night I told her to just bring a trash can close to the table because she was constantly picking up empties. She was actually considering it but then it was last call so she was able to slow down.

Just imagine if we had combined crews! Last yr on the last night, we did... we ended up with an L shaped table and Shannon, Marge, their crew, 4 from mine, even Rafl Souquet & a friend joined in to celebrate his win. That was a good time. Are you going to try to make it to the whole thing next yr, or at least be there for the end instead of the begining?

Old
  (#45)
Ktown D
Neverwuzzz
Ktown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond reputeKtown D has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 75
  Send a message via MSN to Ktown D  
01-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberly
The waitress couldn't keep up with us... one night I told her to just bring a trash can close to the table because she was constantly picking up empties. She was actually considering it but then it was last call so she was able to slow down.

Just imagine if we had combined crews! Last yr on the last night, we did... we ended up with an L shaped table and Shannon, Marge, their crew, 4 from mine, even Rafl Souquet & a friend joined in to celebrate his win. That was a good time. Are you going to try to make it to the whole thing next yr, or at least be there for the end instead of the begining?
I am usually always there for the end but this year I changed it up a little. I probably won't be there for the whole week but I plan to make the last 5 days. Last year I didn't make the celebration due to the fact that I was sweating a dime in the action room although I made my way through the bar a few times. It was a madhouse.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: