Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > Derby City Classic/Southern Classic
Reload this Page Was anyone there to see Jimmy Mataya crawl out from his rock
Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
JOEY
AzB Silver Member
JOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond reputeJOEY has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-17-2007, 07:28 AM

kevin, i see your point, subtract the wagers, and it was funny.
joey

Old
  (#17)
mosconiac
Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
mosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 624

01-17-2007, 10:03 AM

I don't know Jimmy personally, so all I can do is pass on my impression of him from what I have seen of him...

I have several old tapes of his commentary for CJ's defunct PCA tour. It was all corny one-liners and no real substance.

I have a DVD of the 1987 Peter Vitalie Invitational from Jay Helfert. As Mike was giving his cngratulatory interview, Jimmy kept worming his way into camera shot and even tried to engage Mike in conversation so he could get some face time. Very sad.

I saw him approach several older pros at the recent DCC and none of them responded with the same enthusiastic hello.

Primary Cue: Barry Szamboti (Pic1/Pic2)
Break Cue: Predator BK2
Case: Jack Justis (Pic)
Table: Kim Steel 9' (Pic)
Hannah: She Chalks Before Every Shot (Pic/Vid1/Vid2)

Old
  (#18)
steev
Lazy User
steev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to steev  
01-17-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TULIPWOOD LOVER
What a goof ball, Jimmy "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya comes into the action room woofing about how he is the best there ever was. Was is right cause Jimmy ain't got the balls to play my wife; and she don't play pool. I have never heard so much bull crap in my life. He offers anyone in the room the 7 out, and then tries to tell all the people that wanted to play him, that they don't have enough money. Then when he finally is ready to make a game he switches it to one limb nine ball. So his bluff gets called, and he still backs down. Jimmy if you ever read this I just have one thing to say, "Put up or SHUT UP".
I was pretty drunk and not sure of the details, but I was there for the woofing. I was in cheap action at the time, I remember stopping to listen to Jimmy. When I checked out the next morning, there he was, in a chair passed out.

I enjoyed seeing JM 'cause it made me feel better about how stinking drunk I was. Plus, it was some entertaining shit, one man yelling at the room in general...I could imagine him doing this 20 years ago and playing anyone who wanted some.

-s

Old
  (#19)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
01-17-2007, 11:44 AM

I saw Mataya in 1992 do the same thing at the Willards Tournament, only back 15 years ago he was still able to back up his talk. He beat Francisco Galindo for 1k and then beat another great Mexican player back to back. Those two matches I would pay good money to have a tape of them now. At one point Mataya is on the hill and has a really tough 8 ball. He looks at the shot, strokes it like 20 times and then gets off the ball and proceeds to woof again at the room going on and on about how great he is and how no one can beat him etc. He then gets down again and its a replay of the prior time...20 strokes, gets up and starts woofing again. I was with a buddy and we both were just flabbergasted how any player could play in this manner. So after all that he finally gets back down on this super tough shot and FIRES it in getting perfect position for the nine in the side pocket. Mataya runs up to the table and whips the cue behind his back and fires in the money ball one handed behind his back shouting to the Mexican players "AM I NOT ZE GREEEATEST PLAYER IN ALL OF MEI HI CO!!!! " I gotta tell you, it was real entertainment.

Old
  (#20)
smashmouth
AzB Silver Member
smashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2007, 08:32 PM

don't think he could have touched Effren or Buddy 20 years ago

Old
  (#21)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2007, 02:02 AM

Jimmy Mataya was one of the top 9-Ball players of his era, for money or in a tournament. He beat a couple of Ring Ten ball games with all the best players (Burlington in the late 70's). His career wound down in the late 80's, although he had a Runner-up finish in a major event as late as 1988 in Vegas (lost to Earl in the Finals I think).

He was always a big talker (just part of his game). But almost all the players liked Jimmy. He is a passionate soul, and it carries over to his pool game. He can get out of line as well. I will grant that. Jimmy just doesn't always know where to draw the line between "hustle" and obnoxiousness.

Old
  (#22)
Perk
AzB Silver Member
Perk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 120

01-18-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEY
i dont care what anyone says about jimmy. he was one of the toughest in his day, and is a legend. i had talked to jimmy for hours throughout the 4 days at the dcc. he has some great stories and tricks to boot. i was there when he made his speech in the tourney room, i thought it was funny as hell. if it that makes him feel good, let him do it. also, if he woulda made that speech in his prime, nobody would have taken him up on it. bottom line, jimmy dont shoot anymore, he has some drinks, kicks back, and has fun.

joey < also bought jimmy a few beers.

He is entertaining, and may go over the limit at times. Alot of the players that woof non stop still cross the line. As for playing the current champions, of course he isnt going to do that. As Joey stated, he is trying to have fun.

For those on this board that think he cant play anymore, you still can find him in Lansing, and he will play. He still will play a few of the travelers etc, and has occasional personal games. Stop in Lansing and ask for him or how to get ahold of him.

- I never go looking for a sucker, I look for champions and make a sucker out of them."Amarillo Slim

Old
  (#23)
Jody B
AzB Silver Member
Jody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond reputeJody B has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2007, 01:20 PM

At one of the epic Rackem'up tournaments in the late 80's Jimmy came swaggering into the poolroom and talked up a big snooker game with Frank James from Canada. It took all of about 30 minutes and Jimmy walked away with the cash,never missed a ball! Make no mistake about how good this man played, like Jay said, At one time he could defend himself with the best players on the planet. It aint braggin if you can back it up! and he could do both extremely well!

The laws of physics do not apply to me!

Old
  (#24)
smashmouth
AzB Silver Member
smashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2007, 02:24 PM

stories are sweet and cute but isn't the point of this thread that he
opened his mouth and WAS NOT willing to back it up???

Old
  (#25)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmouth
No Honey your SWEET, and like the person who started this thread maybe you should just fade into the back ground.

Because there is old saying when you make statements concerning things that you know nothing about you only look foolish , and when the time comes that you have something important to add no body will pay any attention.

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Last edited by manwon; 01-18-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Old
  (#26)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

01-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmouth
If all posts were 100% on topic the avg thread length would be 1.69 posts.

The fact that posts tend to meander keeps things intriguing.

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Old
  (#27)
jnav447
AzB Silver Member
jnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond reputejnav447 has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2007, 04:50 PM

The only time I saw Jim Mataya play was at the Stardust Tournaments in Vegas in the early '70s. He was always a threat to win, along with Wade Crane (AKA Billy Johnson - best 9ball break ever), Jim Rempe, Richie Florence, Ed Kelly, Jimmy Reid, Jimmy Marino, and a few others. I don't remember him being the best (that was probably Wade Crane and Billy Incardona in those days, for 9ball) but he had as much gamble as anyone on the planet. Unlike the majority of today's players, he would bet all of his own dough at any time against just about anyone. Watching the Derby City Classic, I was struck by how colorless most of today's top players are (exception of Earl, of course). The players mentioned above, plus Danny DiLiberto, Larry Liscioti, Ronnie Allen, Cole Dickson, Johhny Ervalino, Danny Jones, Cornbread Red and others had major charisma and big-time personality to go with their talent. I remember Rempe, Mataya and Marino all looked like they just stepped out of GQ magazine and were in competition to see who could look the sharpest; pretty impressive group. Anyway, if Mataya wants to have a few beers and woof, he's earned the right IMO.

"Fun players, huh? I'm gonna buy all you mooches a cue stick and put a mop on the end so you can get some use out of it" - Minnesota Fats

Old
  (#28)
cuesmith
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
cuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to cuesmith  
01-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
Jimmy Mataya was one of the top 9-Ball players of his era, for money or in a tournament. He beat a couple of Ring Ten ball games with all the best players (Burlington in the late 70's). His career wound down in the late 80's, although he had a Runner-up finish in a major event as late as 1988 in Vegas (lost to Earl in the Finals I think).

He was always a big talker (just part of his game). But almost all the players liked Jimmy. He is a passionate soul, and it carries over to his pool game. He can get out of line as well. I will grant that. Jimmy just doesn't always know where to draw the line between "hustle" and obnoxiousness.

All true, Jay! But his biggest problem is the alcohol. I've known him a while too and never saw him really get nasty unless he had a snoot full! Then all bets are off! Some people, in fact most people, would be better off not drinking! That's why I got out of the poolroom/bar business!

just more hot air!

Sherm

just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm Custom Billiard Cues
cuesmith@ymail.com
Sort of retired!

Last edited by cuesmith; 01-18-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Jimmy
Old
  (#29)
TULIPWOOD LOVER
AzB Silver Member
TULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

Jimmy - 01-18-2007, 07:47 PM

I never faded out of my post, I just wanted to get other peoples views. All I know, is that Jimmy came into the action room screamin to the top of his lungs that he was the best in the world and that he wanted to play for cash. He had about a dozens people stading in line with cash in hand, and he backed down from everyone of them. He was very disrepectful to everyone in the room, and there were some big games being played. I was watching Cliff Joyner and Billy Incardona play at the time, and they were not too happy about his drunken rampage. Several players called his bluff and he looked like an idiot when he backed down. I do not disagree that he was a great player, but his time has past and he needs to move on and let the real players play the game.

Old
  (#30)
upncomingchamp
AzB Bronze Member
upncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond reputeupncomingchamp has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2007, 08:39 PM

lol jimmy mataya was one of the best players and might have been the best gambler that ever lived....in his day he could give anyone in the room the 7

Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: