Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > Derby City Classic/Southern Classic
Reload this Page Was anyone there to see Jimmy Mataya crawl out from his rock
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-18-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwon
Well, I will say this, this a very interesting post. Jimmy was once one hell of a player, and he has always been a gambler.
So, I will say this, I have not seen the man in 25 year's, and maybe he is old now, but in his day he was one hell of a player, and he was also one of the best masse shot shooters in the entire country.

By the way, I could careless who your wife is, I would back him against your wife anytime right here in may pool room, so as you say put up or shut up!!!

Have a nice day!!! Lets see who has balls!!! Pm me if interested

Manwon
Well Tulipwood Lover, I woofed at you , and you did not answer back , so I suspect that either someones balls have turned to BB's , or someone understands that being disrespectful on an open forum may worst than in person.

By the way, Jimmy has earned the right to make an ass out himself, he was the one of the greatest players throughout the late 1960's to the early 1980's. He has many accomplishments, and has proved himself again and again, as a player and a gambler. Until you are at that level looking down you may want to think a little before you type, and at least show some compassion and respect for what he was, many many great players have done just that for him and many others who this sport has lost the same way.

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#32)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-18-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TULIPWOOD LOVER
I never faded out of my post, I just wanted to get other peoples views. All I know, is that Jimmy came into the action room screamin to the top of his lungs that he was the best in the world and that he wanted to play for cash. He had about a dozens people stading in line with cash in hand, and he backed down from everyone of them. He was very disrepectful to everyone in the room, and there were some big games being played. I was watching Cliff Joyner and Billy Incardona play at the time, and they were not too happy about his drunken rampage. Several players called his bluff and he looked like an idiot when he backed down. I do not disagree that he was a great player, but his time has past and he needs to move on and let the real players play the game.
As Sherm said, he was drunk! Too bad, very sad and I'm not mad.

Old
  (#33)
Timberly

vCash:

01-19-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwon
By the way, Jimmy has earned the right to make an ass out himself, he was the one of the greatest players throughout the late 1960's to the early 1980's. He has many accomplishments, and has proved himself again and again, as a player and a gambler. Until you are at that level looking down you may want to think a little before you type, and at least show some compassion and respect for what he was, many many great players have done just that for him and many others who this sport has lost the same way.
There will come a day when Tulipwood lover will be past his prime and mother nature will start to take it's course on his reflexes, joints, and over all capabilities. I could be wrong but I doubt they'll reach the heights in their prime that Jimmy did.

I love him dearly
Old
  (#34)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

I love him dearly - 01-19-2007, 05:52 AM

"Floyd" is one of my favorite people. To me, he is just funny when he is drunk. He has earned his right to be pleasantly obnoxious. I only wish that he was still able to play, then he would be even more fun.

the Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#35)
Terry Ardeno
I still love my wife
Terry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond repute

01-19-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
"Floyd" is one of my favorite people. To me, he is just funny when he is drunk. He has earned his right to be pleasantly obnoxious. I only wish that he was still able to play, then he would be even more fun.

the Beard
He has "earned the right to be pleasantly obnoxious"....What in the world does that mean? WHY does someone "earn" that right to be offensive?
Does someone who is sober have less rights than someone who is drunk?

You're still tops with me Freddie, I'm still going to order your books, still going to look forward to your posts....but you miscued here.

Old
  (#36)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

01-19-2007, 07:52 AM

I wish I had not contributed to this thread. It really doesn't serve any useful purpose. In fact, after re-reading the initial post, I think it's just plain mean-spirited. Let's try to just live and let live and try to let this thread die.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

You are right!
Old
  (#37)
TULIPWOOD LOVER
AzB Silver Member
TULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond reputeTULIPWOOD LOVER has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

You are right! - 01-19-2007, 07:59 AM

I should have never made this post. Jimmy is a legend and no one can ever take that away from him. I think now the alchohol gets the best of him. I am sorry for any hard feelings I have made towards anyone on this forum. As for you "Manwon", if you are ever in Knoxville, "YOU GOT ACTION" , LOL!

Old
  (#38)
NittiFan
AzB Silver Member
NittiFan has a spectacular aura aboutNittiFan has a spectacular aura aboutNittiFan has a spectacular aura about

01-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Back in the early 80's I saw Jimmy at an exhibition in Cold Water Michigan. At that time he was "untouchable". His mouth ran the entire time he was kicking th crap out of evryone in the room, including yours truly.

You still gotta give the guy props for marrying Ewa!!

Mike

Old
  (#39)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

01-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TULIPWOOD LOVER
I should have never made this post. Jimmy is a legend and no one can ever take that away from him. I think now the alchohol gets the best of him. I am sorry for any hard feelings I have made towards anyone on this forum. As for you "Manwon", if you are ever in Knoxville, "YOU GOT ACTION" , LOL!
Thanks and have a nice day!!!!!!!

By the way, I will need Orange Crush playing Nine Ball, and 10 to 5 playing One Hole, I suspect that is fair since I am going to beat you with a Mop Handle !!!

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#40)
smashmouth
AzB Silver Member
smashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond repute

01-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Jimmy is a legend eh? Known for what exactly?

Hustling people for money? Shit talking strangers in pool rooms?

Keep idolizing the goofs of the sport and stop wondering why Billiards will never grow

Old
  (#41)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

01-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmouth

His ability to play both on and off the table was LEGENDARY

He won MUCH more than he lost when I saw him in action. He was cocky and a wiseguy but not over the top.

Keep idolizing the goofs of the sport and stop wondering why Billiards will never grow
Many of us would have divorced pool a long time ago if it was steeped in decorum and protocol. Pool in the past allowed people to be themselves. Pretty unique, EH???

Old
  (#42)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"

01-20-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmouth

Sweet Heart , you need to crawl back under your rock until you learn to not get involved in conversation's where you have no clue what you talking about.

Every time you open your mouth you remind me of a child who wants to be seen and heard. Please, it is better to watch, Listen and learn than to annoy the ADULTS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I bet you would like being spanked

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Last edited by manwon; 01-20-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Old
  (#43)
smashmouth
AzB Silver Member
smashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond repute

01-20-2007, 08:01 PM

you're funny partner

Old
  (#44)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

01-21-2007, 06:36 AM

In a July-August 1985 Accu-Stats newsletter, Volume 1, No. 5, there is a a Scores and Accu-Stats Averages chart, and Jimmy Mataya had a .905 and a .907 Accu-Stats score during two of his matches in Moline.

Funny quote heard at this event: "This guy's playing so bad that he's making me play bad. In fact, if he beats me, it'll be his own fault."

For overall break performance rankings at the Moline tournament, Jimmy Mataya scored the highest. Out of 80 games, he had 48 break shots which resulted in 38 of the breaks pocketing balls without scratch, FWIW! Wade Crane won the event, BTW, and enjoyed a total performance of .890

I think it was in the early '80s that Jimmy Mataya was in his prime. Like some great American players, Jimmy left the sport and decided not to compete anymore.

Let it be said that you can take Jimmy away from pool, but you can't take the pool away from Jimmy. Today, he will attend most of the American high-profile events, mostly as a spectator, because pool for Jimmy Mataya, like most of us on this forum, is a strong passion. He is, IMHO, an American pool legendary figure, but a legend which may not be known to some younger folk.

Last night, I made a phone call inquiry about a website problem, and the service provider's customer service was located in the Philippines. We discussed my website issues, and then I just couldn't help myself when, at the end of the conversation, I stated to him, "I have heard great things about the Philippines. Have you ever heard of Efren Reyes?" His whole demeanor changed when he responded, "Of course," and we began to talk about pool. He was well aware of Ronnie Alcano's victory at the WPC, and he also held Jose Parica in the highest regard. This was a 27-year-old Filipino, a young'n in my book.

America is conflicted about pool, with strong views in different camps about what it should look like in the public's eye. There ain't much interest in pool as a sport in America, for a variety of reasons. Whereas, the Philippines, on the other hand, celebrates the sport and adores all of its players.

It is a shame that American players like Jimmy Mataya made the decision to leave the sport. Here in America, existing players are continuing to leave the sport for a variety of reasons, and there aren't very many young players entering the sport to take their place. The American pool culture is so busy beating itself up that they might not realize this sometimes.

Picture taken last year at the Venetian in Vegas of an American legendary pool player depicted on the right: Jimmy "Pretty Boy" Mataya.

JAM
Attached Images

Old
  (#45)
vagabond
AzB Silver Member
vagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond repute

01-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM

America is conflicted about pool, with strong views in different camps about what it should look like in the public's eye.

JAM
I always believed and I still believe that the PURITONIC values America has embraced have negative influence on pool.I strongly believe that this is the main reason for not getting sponsorship from Non pool industries and corporations.I strongly believe that no body is going to admitt that their opinions on pool are influenced by puritonic values.I strongly believe that many Americans do not realize how much they are being influenced by Puritonic values in day to day living.

Jimmy Mattaya has always been my most favorite player.I rather watch a match between Jimmy M v Keith McCreedy than Effren V Ralph Soquet.

By the way I have a quiz for friends of Jimmy Mattaya. Where did Jimmy take Ewa for the first date?

Last edited by vagabond; 01-21-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: