Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > Derby City Classic/Southern Classic
Reload this Page Was anyone there to see Jimmy Mataya crawl out from his rock
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#76)
Palmetto cue
AzB Silver Member
Palmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-27-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
Great points, Craig. What cracked me up was all the effort during the past generation or so to make professional pool squeaky clean-- then along comes poker, which leap-frogged over pool to grab T.V. time! Talk about obnoxious players! There are 10 times more jerks in pro poker than there ever were in pool. And the audience laps it up. Some of these guys get a river card they like, and they jump up to holler and brag as if they just hit the lottery. IMO poker needs less shenanigans, and pool needs more!

Doc
I agree! I've always thought Pool should embrace it's history. IMO way too much effort has been put forth trying to make it squeeky clean. When I was coming up, the stories that captured my attention were about the players that could woof, and back it up. They got out, or did the impossible when it was really on the line.
Jimmy Mataya helped to start my lifelong passion for this game. For that I will be forever greatful. I always admired him growing up. He had an amazing masse stroke. His character (P. B Floyd) did a lot to promote our sport. I just can't find it in me not to like the guy. That doesn't excuse him if he goes too far, but he gets a pass from me.

Jimmy Mataya
Old
  (#77)
sureman183
Got "Boti's" ??
sureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond reputesureman183 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Jimmy Mataya - 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM

just reading about Mataya made me think, i've been at several major tournaments over the years & its hard to recall some great matches i've seen, but easy to recall the antics of Mataya, Cornbread, Earl, Alex, Keith, and many more. these i'll never forget because of the characters. interesting, maybe we need a few more in todays pool.

SURE - MAN CUES

SERVING YOU FOR OVER 30 YEARS

PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT: suremancues77@gmail.com

CALL DON AT 989-305-6454

COMING SOON ***NEW WEBSITE***

Old
  (#78)
Craig Fales
Registered bubinga user
Craig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400
  Send a message via MSN to Craig Fales Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Fales  
01-05-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittiFan View Post
Back in the early 80's I saw Jimmy at an exhibition in Cold Water Michigan. At that time he was "untouchable". His mouth ran the entire time he was kicking th crap out of evryone in the room, including yours truly.

You still gotta give the guy props for marrying Ewa!!

Mike
Hmmm, I was playing pool then. The only place to play is Side Street Billiards, I don't remember him coming down to play.

Old
  (#79)
bobroberts
Pool player
bobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond reputebobroberts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Pool in USA is not a big time pro thing but every time you turn on a TV set theres a commercial with a table in it.Its on sit-coms and movies,Theres still loads of rooms in every state.
theres tournaments everywhere even though they may not be pro.
No pool is alive and doing well just not on the mens pro circuit.

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: