what are the rules for the lag?

sightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday i saw a player shot his ball to the long rail, then short rail, then long rail again for the lag. Just wondering if it's legal to do that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The official rules are here: http://files.umb-carom.org/Public/Rules/Carom_Rules.pdf

Hitting the long cushion first is not legal, as I read article 22.2.

I think that at one time it was not legal for the cue ball to hit the long cushion at all during the lag. The present rules seem to permit hitting the long cushion second or third as Mark mentioned. Also, the current rules seem to permit a 4-lengrh lag, hitting the far cushion twice.

Note that the players are (apparently) not permitted to adjust the positions of the balls for the lag -- they will shoot from where the referee places them. In major tournaments, the lag nearly always seems to be: the referee places the balls about 3/4 diamond from each long cushion; the players lag at nearly the same time and straight up the table; the balls never contact the long cushions.

sightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the winner of the lag gets to choose the ball to start with, or he must starts with the white?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the winner of the lag starts with the white.
(see art 23.2 )

No, the winner of the lag determines who will play first -- it is his choice. The person who plays first must use the white ball.

Juanuribe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lag, an ball choice

The only reason the winner of the lag goes with white ball is because the computerize system for scoring is set up that way, otherwise it will be to much confusion changing every time, this is according to kozoom, otherwise winner of the lag gets to choose the ball and other tournaments where there is no computer system in place.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only reason the winner of the lag goes with white ball is because the computerize system for scoring is set up that way, otherwise it will be to much confusion changing every time, this is according to kozoom, otherwise winner of the lag gets to choose the ball and other tournaments where there is no computer system in place.

At the time of the Las Vegas WorldCups there was an enforced rule about which ball the first shooter had to use. As I recall the rule was different between the BWA and the UMB. But there was a rule.

I think it is better to follow a rule as it makes it easier to remember which ball you are playing with.

sightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a committed foul, such as shooting to the long rail first, is not an automatic lost of the lag but a re-lag? I think the rule says, two consecutive fouls result in lost of the lag.