I miscue on this shot a LOT, for years.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just shot it I think 32 times (4 groups of 8-9 balls). First group straight in, each successive group slight angle increase.

Didn't miscue once, missed pocketing the ball twice, made all the other attempts.

I put the phone camera right on the table for a close up side view of the CB, and also the overhead camera was running. I'll look at the videos later and upload them after editing.

Now, onto some fun and I'm going to try the 10 ball ghost again.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I just played the 10 ball ghost a few sets. Best one was lost 3-7. That is really good for me. Coincidentally, the shot came up a couple times, and I made it in the heart of the pocket both times. Maybe I just needed to shoot it a bunch of times to give me confidence with it, and convince my brain that its no big deal.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/ctZxKUoOTj4

Here is my practice video from today. In each set, the dark coin was to place the OB, and I was trying to draw the CB to the white coin.

Video is sped up and 3 min long. I think it has 34 or so shots on it. Zero miscues.

Maybe I don't have a problem with this shot after all. I will try it again in a few days with maybe a hair more angle, and maybe from another part of the table.

Regarding the camera angle, the very first group from this video is 100% straight in, and the cb looks to come back fairly straight, with no spin. Not on all the shots mind you, but enough of them to see I hit "those shots" pure. Even on those shots, the camera shows me hitting them with slight right spin. I'm not suggesting my mechanics are perfect. Only saying you can't trust a camera. I have a lot of experience with the camera, and it really is not the true picture of what is happening. Take a look for yourself on the first 30 seconds of this video.

You can also see I have my phone on the table. The camera makes it look tilted. It is not. Its actually exactly perpendicular to the table. Those blocks holding it are very precise machinist blocks that are exactly square.

I don't have the video from the phone yet. Its stuck on my phone, it will probably upload to the cloud tomorrow, in which case I can edit it on my computer and see what my tip looks like from the side.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/ctZxKUoOTj4

Here is my practice video from today. In each set, the dark coin was to place the OB, and I was trying to draw the CB to the white coin.

Video is sped up and 3 min long. I think it has 34 or so shots on it. Zero miscues.

Maybe I don't have a problem with this shot after all. I will try it again in a few days with maybe a hair more angle, and maybe from another part of the table.

Regarding the camera angle, the very first group from this video is 100% straight in, and the cb looks to come back fairly straight, with no spin. Not on all the shots mind you, but enough of them to see I hit "those shots" pure. Even on those shots, the camera shows me hitting them with slight right spin. I'm not suggesting my mechanics are perfect. Only saying you can't trust a camera. I have a lot of experience with the camera, and it really is not the true picture of what is happening. Take a look for yourself on the first 30 seconds of this video.

You can also see I have my phone on the table. The camera makes it look tilted. It is not. Its actually exactly perpendicular to the table. Those blocks holding it are very precise machinist blocks that are exactly square.

I don't have the video from the phone yet. Its stuck on my phone, it will probably upload to the cloud tomorrow, in which case I can edit it on my computer and see what my tip looks like from the side.

You didn't chalk a single time. That could be your problem with miscues.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just set the,shot up and shot it five times with strait low soft medium hit. And got fine shape,on fI've ball all times no prob. Origional poster just trying to do too much with the cueball when it's not necessary

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You didn't chalk a single time. That could be your problem with miscues.
That's not true. Watch the chalk. It moves every few or several or ten shots. The chalk seems to have a passing acquaintance with the tip.

But that shows that there is little attention to PSR or Shot Sequence. He is grooving bad habits.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the lack of chlalking is definitely an issue. I used to chalk every single shot years ago. About 5 years ago or so, I think I started chalking less and less, to where its now maybe once a rack.

Whats funny, during this group of shots where I shot it 30 some times, I really made an effort to chalk a lot. And still, only very few chalks.

I also used to pretty much only play when I gambled years ago. So chalking was a lot more important. Now that I have a home table, and rarely play anyone, I get super lazy with the chalk.

That's funny if this whole thing boiled down to not chalking.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the lack of chlalking is definitely an issue. I used to chalk every single shot years ago. About 5 years ago or so, I think I started chalking less and less, to where its now maybe once a rack.

Whats funny, during this group of shots where I shot it 30 some times, I really made an effort to chalk a lot. And still, only very few chalks.

I also used to pretty much only play when I gambled years ago. So chalking was a lot more important. Now that I have a home table, and rarely play anyone, I get super lazy with the chalk.

That's funny if this whole thing boiled down to not chalking.

It’s your stroke. I’ve done the whole double chalk because I’m making sure, and then still proceed to miscue. It’s all you, and will almost always be you.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s your stroke. I’ve done the whole double chalk because I’m making sure, and then still proceed to miscue. It’s all you, and will almost always be you.

Maybe. But do you think its a strong coincidence that I:

1) miscued 3 times in a row. I looked at my tip after, and saw the chalk was bare on some of it (I did not mention that before).
-then-
2) chalked my stick well and immediately after made the same shot 7 time in a row
-then-
3) The next day did the 30 something shots in a row, with zero miscues, and chalking maybe 6 times the whole 30 some shots?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well another question is, how many times in a row do I have to make the shot without miscuing before we can conclude it was an fluke? -OR- that whatever the issue was, by practicing it a bunch of times in a row, I fixed the issue?

So now I'm at 7 plus 30 something. Lets call it 40 in a row. Do I need 100 in a row? 1000?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well another question is, how many times in a row do I have to make the shot without miscuing before we can conclude it was an fluke? -OR- that whatever the issue was, by practicing it a bunch of times in a row, I fixed the issue?

So now I'm at 7 plus 30 something. Lets call it 40 in a row. Do I need 100 in a row? 1000?

You have mentally accepted that shot as a problem. You’ve now committed to focus more on the problem. It wouldn’t have been you or else you wouldn’t have made this thread.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have mentally accepted that shot as a problem. You’ve now committed to focus more on the problem. It wouldn’t have been you or else you wouldn’t have made this thread.

I agree. When I missed the shot during the actual game, I was fed up with it, as I've done that many times before over the years. So I shot off all the remaining balls on the table in quick succession, then came here seeing if anyone had any suggestions.

I'll say the thread had a positive outcome. It helped "force" me to shoot the shot a bunch of times.

I was actually fully planning on trying the suggestions, first one being to shorten my bridge. There was one suggestion to try marking the exact spot I wanted the CB to land. But I wanted a baseline, to see what my percentage is, before trying the suggestions. So I shot it my way (with the coin suggestion), and surprisingly I didn't have any problem. I don't think there was really a need then to try shortening the bridge.

I also filmed it from the side to see if my tip was dipping as another suggestion. I will show that later, I didn't get to it today.

So I definitely appreciate everyones input. Thank you very much.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/oV2NJ2UJ260

Here is the side view video from the phone. I cut out all the time between shots so its very short, but its full speed. The first shot, I showed again in slow motion, just to see it in the beginning of the video. Also 2 shots near the very end where I missed pocketing (but did not miscue), I also showed in slow motion to see if those misses looked any different. All the other shots are at full speed. 33 shots total, 3 min video.

I had my phone set at 1080 60 FPS. Its hard for me to make out anything strange with the stroke. It looks ok to me, but when it actually strikes the ball its a big blur. Can anyone make out anything that looks off?

I could have set my phone to slow motion, but then I would have had to restart the recording every shot, instead of letting it roll continuously. And the files would have been difficult to manage. That was too much work for a quick test. But, probably necessary to get a really good view of the strike.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi iusedtoberich,

I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been mentioned...

could it be that you miscue when you hit it with a decelerating stroke, trying to hit it softly?

I would guess that's why shortening your stroke may help, because with a short stroke you can "get through" the ball without slowing down the tip and without hitting the ball too hard.

What do you think?

Best wishes,

Lou

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi iusedtoberich,

I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been mentioned...

could it be that you miscue when you hit it with a decelerating stroke, trying to hit it softly?

I would guess that's why shortening your stroke may help, because with a short stroke you can "get through" the ball without slowing down the tip and without hitting the ball too hard.

What do you think?

Best wishes,

Lou

Or keep everything the same but move you gripe back a few inches so your forearm is vertical when the cue ball leaves the tip. If your forearm is ahead of vertical your grip hand goes up and your tip goes down...miscue.

By the way, this is an interesting thread especially with the photos. I can see your tip hit the cloth as soon as you hit the ball.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
FYI..

The white line is the approximate miscue limit at that cue angle.

The red line is where you place the top edge of your tip at address (before shooting) - just about every time.

On shot strokes (when the tip hits the ball) the top edge of your tip is pretty much always between the black lines - usually closer to the bottom one.

Looks to me like you're getting almost max draw on most of your shot strokes.

Except for not hitting exactly where you're lining up (which would be a miscue anyway) not bad. :thumbup:

pj
chgo

P.S. I only measured the first dozen or so shots.

rich.jpg

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI..

The white line is the approximate miscue limit at that cue angle.

The red line is where you place the top edge of your tip at address (before shooting) - just about every time.

On shot strokes (when the tip hits the ball) the top edge of your tip is pretty much always between the black lines - usually closer to the bottom one.

Looks to me like you're getting almost max draw on most of your shot strokes.

Except for not hitting exactly where you're lining up (which would be a miscue anyway) not bad. :thumbup:

pj
chgo

P.S. I only measured the first dozen or so shots.

View attachment 546237

Ah, that's cool. So my precision is good, but my accuracy is off.

I'm curious now to try with my camera in slow motion mode. Its a real pain to use it, and I could probably only get a few shots in. Would any paper with markings or anything like that in the background help?