Question on cushion profiles

azmak

Hello,

I've been looking into buying a used pool table in France and found out that major manufacturers here were using P37 style cushions on their carom table as well as on their pool tables.

Isn't P37 a quadrangular profil made for carom? What's your view on this? How bad would it be to play pool on this kind of table in your opinion?

Thanks,
Mak

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I've been looking into buying a used pool table in France and found out that major manufacturers here were using P37 style cushions on their carom table as well as on their pool tables.

Isn't P37 a quadrangular profil made for carom? What's your view on this? How bad would it be to play pool on this kind of table in your opinion?

Thanks,
Mak
Since you are a new player just starting out, the cushion profile will make no real difference to your game. When you get to the point that you occasionally clear a whole rack of balls, and you are thinking of entering some lower-level competitions, then it's reasonable to compare your cushions to those that will be in the competitions.

There are two major characteristics of the cushions that will eventually affect your game. The "liveliness" or "efficiency" of the cushion determines how much speed the ball loses when it hits the rail. The angle that the cue ball comes of the cushion for a given speed and spin into the rail will affect how you play position (placement of the cue ball after a shot) and sometimes even which positions can or cannot be achieved.

So, for now I think there is no point in worrying about it unless the cushions on the table you are considering need to be replaced due to damage or defect.