Racism

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I have awalys liked about pool halls is I havent ever seen racism and I have been in alot of spots since 85 when I started, I have seen arguments, fights, guns once, and other bad stuff, arguments about a hit, bet, etc. but never once did I ever see or hear anyone ever say anything racist and I like that. Ive heard people say horrible things about other players but never the race card. At one pool room we all used all the racist words out loud around each other and awalys laughed about it-thats cool the respect we all had for each other that we knew we had a special bond deeper than words. thats what I like about "real" pool players-they only care about someones honor, speed, charcter, action and respect-thats the sign of a true pool player. Thats when you know your a player, no matter how you hit'em. I love pool players period.

i also hate when i hear about whites only rooms from way back when, thats shameful.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
One thing I have awalys liked about pool halls is I havent ever seen racism and I have been in alot of spots since 85 when I started, I have seen arguments, fights, guns once, and other bad stuff, arguments about a hit, bet, etc. but never once did I ever see or hear anyone ever say anything racist and I like that. Ive heard people say horrible things about other players but never the race card. At one pool room we all used all the racist words out loud around each other and awalys laughed about it-thats cool the respect we all had for each other that we knew we had a special bond deeper than words. thats what I like about "real" pool players-they only care about someones honor, speed, charcter, action and respect-thats the sign of a true pool player. Thats when you know your a player, no matter how you hit'em. I love pool players period.

A brotherhood of respectable fools we are!! But we have fun so that's all that matters.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:

i also hate when i hear about whites only rooms from way back when, thats shameful.

TAP! TAP! TAP!!!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i thought long and hard before i made this thread,I never saw anything on this topic here and I thought it is a very important issue, pool is down now, and I wanted to post something positive instead of anything negitive. But its true were all related and pool is the connection we share no matter how good or bad we play and thats the most important thing and over looked. So I thought I would share my thoughts.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
i thought long and hard before i made this thread,I never saw anything on this topic here and I thought it is a very important issue, pool is down now, and I wanted to post something positive instead of anything negitive. But its true were all related and pool is the connection we share no matter how good or bad we play and thats the most important thing and over looked. So I thought I would share my thoughts.
AMEN...........;)

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been my expirance that all that matters is how you play. Now that you bring up this thread I have thought about it and I cant rember ever hearing or seeing anything either. Chris.

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
Living in the south I can assure you racism is alive and well,although no where near as prominent as it once was...(A good thing).

But You make a very valid point....and one I have made in conversation in the past.My point then and now is,for whatever reason,the PH is a lot like the military in this sense :What you have to offer is all that matters....If you can play you qualify for respect,regardless of gender or color or age ect.Pool does indeed cross all those lines without the smallest ripple in the social fabric,regardless of the situation presented "in the real world".

Its indeed cool stuff.One of the reasons I love the game as well.Good post.Rep to you for pointing out the obvious but often over looked aspect of our game of choice....inclusion is a given if you can roll em.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
tap tap tap to pretty much to what everyone has said

the doner<-------played considerable pool on the south side of CHI and all over MEMPHO.....never a problem

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Over the years, the only color that matters in a pool room is..............THE GREEN COLOR OF MONEY!

Stones

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a great leap or transition for pool. from a so-called mere drunkard's or bum's game to a celebrated and respectable sport.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
It's a great leap or transition for pool. from a so-called mere drunkard's or bum's game to a celebrated and respectable sport.

Your response is a typical example of why pool continues to be stuck in the mud in the United States. Your summarization stinks to high heaven.

At times, including during the Civil War, billiard results received wider coverage than war news. Players were so renowned that cigarette cards were issued featuring them.

That was then, and look at it now! :(

JAM

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working class sport

Stones said:
Over the years, the only color that matters in a pool room is..............THE GREEN COLOR OF MONEY!

Stones

"Green Color" analysis is rather cynical. Perhaps the higher level of social conscience is because pool is a working class sport. Thats also accounts for its lower status. Golf & tennis, on the other hand, are passports into wealthy private clubs where Jim Crow is alive & well.

If you read the history of the IWW, the UMW, & other industrial unions, Jim Crow was directly challenged. And the Deacons for Defense was founded by working class African American veterans.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
You are right...

Fatboy said:
Having moved from NY to the deep south in 1979 I was very concerned in regards to the race issues in general and especially about my love ! POOL :D I can say that I only once had an issue and it was in an (at the time) all white kinda :eek: Redneck bar near where I lived, The offender was grabbed and thrown out by a bouncer with arms like tree rtrunks before he finished the word!!!! :) and every one went on with the game of pool ;) I have lived here ever since and seen many things and changes to my adopted city but never any pool problems since.:)

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't want to throw a bucket of black paint on the Rainbow Coalition, but down here I hear the term "niggered" all the time as a synonym for locking someone up in an 8-ball game. Now, honestly, I don't know if that's considered a racist term in that context; yet, it makes me cringe every time I hear it. I mean, what's the origin of that usage? Since the dirtiest pool player down here is a guy named Tony, I prefer rants like "You Tonied me, you s.o.b."

BTW, as an Italian, I take exception to the use of the term Guinea, too, unless, of course, it's used by a fellow Guinea.

Wtf!!!

acedotcom said:
I wouldn't want to throw a bucket of black paint on the Rainbow Coalition, but down here I hear the term "niggered" all the time as a synonym for locking someone up in an 8-ball game. Now, honestly, I don't know if that's considered a racist term in that context; yet, it makes me cringe every time I hear it. I mean, what's the origin of that usage? Since the dirtiest pool player down here is a guy named Tony, I prefer rants like "You Tonied me, you s.o.b."

BTW, as an Italian, I take exception to the use of the term Guinea, too, unless, of course, it's used by a fellow Guinea.

How in the hell can you post that garbage on here?!..How far down down-south do you live..and were you at a Klan rally or something?!

I've been playing pool for twenty years and I've played all over the country..and I know for a fact that the word you used above is not pool slang,sorry..

If this is your way of expressing your racial hatred..You are a sad and pathetic soul..Btw, I think this is the wrong board for you..You'd feel more at home chatting on the one that is owned by the hood wearing type.

MODS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ACEDOTCOM.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walt Frazier said:
How in the hell can you post that garbage on here?!..How far down down-south do you live..and were you at a Klan rally or something?!

I've been playing pool for twenty years and I've played all over the country..and I know for a fact that the word you used above is not pool slang,sorry..

If this is your way of expressing your racial hatred..You are a sad and pathetic soul..Btw, I think this is the wrong board for you..You'd feel more at home chatting on the one that is owned by the hood wearing type.

MODS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ACEDOTCOM.
What exactly makes you think that acedotcom uses or even condones that term. I'd read his post a bit more closely.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i didnt want to start a war, i was/am proud of the fact as a pool player i never seen any racism, or making fun of a fatmans weight(i'm not that fat/0 or a wheel chair player are any other factor ever interupted the real reason we get along-its pool,

someone started a thread "when did you know when you became a player?" some people dont have that talent- i barely do-to be considered a player, but I knew I had a bond with a whole lot of peope rich poor, white/black. phillipno/gypsys/mexicans etc when we just blended in, i could use any raicial slur infront of anyone of them in jet and they knew it was a joke. we all got along the comrodery minus the differences we all have, it took me a month of playing at my first spot to get to know everyone and be part of the club.

i go to africa every year for a month, now there is racism(the south isnt anything near as bad as africa) and i hate it, but you know what when we almost got charged by a lion on a hunt once, and did get get charged by a elephant, we people were all on the same team, it takes a deep bond or adverse circumstances to bring people together, and pool or near death experiences will do that, that was my point in this thread, were lucky to have a common interest that surpasses racism,

If I did ever see racism in a pool hall or anywhere I'd leave, as far as using a racial term for a particular shot-I would only do it in jest in the presence of that persons race to make sure he knew it was a joke and no harm was ment by that, we did that at a pool room once, hell you woulde have thought we were the biggest raciests on the planet if you heard us talking but if you saw a picture of us playing after hours we were all different, It was just jokes and racial humor which when isnt harmful or meant in a bad sence can be funny-nobodys feelings were ever hurt. That wasnt the intent, it showed how close a family pool can create-something I miss these days. It was racism with permission for humor among us thus it isnt racism just busting balls so to speak. I never saw anyone take offence to anything said-myself included, i had a mullet haircut and weighed 210-they called me' "caption white" because i was a white guy who only listened to rap music. The black guys aways picked on me and would give me a hug 30 seconds later, this is whats missing in pool rooms now days and dosent happen online. the personal contact that makes life special.

thats when you become a player, no matter if you cant make 3 balls in a row, or play like Efren. were all pool players when we cross that hurdle-for me it wasnt a hurdle at all I love all people, i'm just a nice guy. in all my years in a pool room there have been about 6 or 7 guys that i didnt like at all and all but one is white,the other hispanic and it was because of a move he pulled.

long post, but i just dont want this thread to be a war, I want to bring people together and enjoy our common interest. and perhaps let people here knoe me a bit better,

fatboy is at 246 now-i was hungry yesterday

Last edited: