league related pool tournaments

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do they have pool tournaments anymore that you can just pay the entry and play? Seems like every time I find a tournament it's related to a league. Not bashing leagues, but if it's a handicap thing why not just give the outsiders the highest handicap, which would put them at a disadvantage, and let them in?

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do they have pool tournaments anymore that you can just pay the entry and play? Seems like every time I find a tournament it's related to a league. Not bashing leagues, but if it's a handicap thing why not just give the outsiders the highest handicap, which would put them at a disadvantage, and let them in?

All tourneys are open in our area (SoCal). However, I would like there to eventually be a universal handicapping/ranking system in place so that tourneys can require you to be rated. Similar to golf. Fargo ratings are the best chance we have to see that come to fruition.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All tourneys are open in our area (SoCal). However, I would like there to eventually be a universal handicapping/ranking system in place so that tourneys can require you to be rated. Similar to golf. Fargo ratings are the best chance we have to see that come to fruition.

Guess I'm kind of ignorant, but how would the 'Fargo' system work if you just walk off the street with your entry money and you have no rating?

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

My guess is that they view the tournaments as a membership benefit. You wanna play in our game, join our club. It could also be that they've had bad experience with outsiders before.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is that they view the tournaments as a membership benefit. You wanna play in our game, join our club. It could also be that they've had bad experience with outsiders before.

Seems kind of arrogant of them. Pool existed long before leagues now it's their game...wow! I know they've probably done a lot for pool, but would probably benefit the game even more if all were invited, even if they were to give the so called outsiders a disadvantage, a lot of people love the game but don't have time for the leagues any more

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I'm kind of ignorant, but how would the 'Fargo' system work if you just walk off the street with your entry money and you have no rating?

Well it depends on how strict of an entry policy you have and how you use Fargo.

For example, suppose it's a 9-ball tourney, race to 3 winners, 2 losers side.
You can handicap the race by having everyone over 550 Fargo race to 4 winners / 3 losers and everyone over 625 Fargo race to 5 winners / 4 losers.
If a player is unknown then they have to race to 5 winners / 4 losers.
Or you can watch them play a practice game and evaluate them.

In most public golf tournaments you MUST have a handicap rating or else you cannot sign up. And the rating system used in golf is pretty much universal. To have something equivalent set up in pool is the best thing that can happen to pool. And the only system that is close to that today is Fargo ratings.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it depends on how strict of an entry policy you have and how you use Fargo.

For example, suppose it's a 9-ball tourney, race to 3 winners, 2 losers side.
You can handicap the race by having everyone over 550 Fargo race to 4 winners / 3 losers and everyone over 625 Fargo race to 5 winners / 4 losers.
If a player is unknown then they have to race to 5 winners / 4 losers.
Or you can watch them play a practice game and evaluate them.

In most public golf tournaments you MUST have a handicap rating or else you cannot sign up. And the rating system used in golf is pretty much universal. To have something equivalent set up in pool is the best thing that can happen to pool. And the only system that is close to that today is Fargo ratings.

Thanks for the help!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Seems kind of arrogant of them. Pool existed long before leagues now it's their game...wow! I know they've probably done a lot for pool, but would probably benefit the game even more if all were invited, even if they were to give the so called outsiders a disadvantage, a lot of people love the game but don't have time for the leagues any more

It's not their game, but it is their tournament (I used the saying "wanna play in our game" as a generic to cover lots of different activities). Golf and tennis clubs have Members Only tournaments all the time; it keeps the members happy and is a lot easier to manage. It's also a good way to promote membership.

Does it suck? Sure it does. But life's a ***** and then we die.