what ya think about??

meopilite

Registered
What goes through your mind before taking a shot? Are you thinking about the contact point? Are you thinking about the angle? Are you thinking about where you should be aiming? Or a combination of everything?

For me, I guess it depends on the shot. Usually though, my best bet is to think about the angle the object must must take.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
im thinking about what ill spend the money I took from you on. hookers and cocaine is my go to.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking, "this guy I'm playing looks high on coke, that's why he's beating me. Probably gonna blow my money on hookers."

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What goes through your mind before taking a shot? Are you thinking about the contact point? Are you thinking about the angle? Are you thinking about where you should be aiming? Or a combination of everything?

For me, I guess it depends on the shot. Usually though, my best bet is to think about the angle the object must must take.

I'm thinking about my stroke speed that I will need to put the cue ball where I want it to go. I know, pretty much, if I'm going to be able to make the ball, or not, before I ever bend over to shoot and I've already determined the angle and English I need to use. The only thing I haven't done yet is to hit the cue ball. My main concern then is where the cue ball is going to end up.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Focus on the object ball spot & speed. Any English to be used has already been decided on.

(edit) That said, in the interest of accuracy, I use as little English as I can get away with. Tip on centerline, stop-follow-draw is what I prefer.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I don't think about anything. I did my thinking when I was standing. My routine is to build the program in my head before I address the shot. Once I'm down on the shot I just execute. If, once I'm down, I notice my mind wandering at all from that, or if I "feel" that something isn't right, I'll stand up and start over.

It sounds like I take a long time to do this, but I'm probably in the top 10% of shooters for quickness.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Everything you mention and more should be decided and committed to before stepping into the shot.

Jeff

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NOTHING!

Everything has been decided before I bent over.
Angle, Speed & Spin taken care of.
Just do my MANTRA!

randyg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pretty good consensus

You have a pretty good consensus answer on this question. If you are still thinking after you bend over, straighten up! You do your thinking standing. The last thing going through my mind is a visual of the shot happening and the ball dropping perfectly while the cue ball rolls to the exact spot I want it. When I get that it is time to shoot.

You have a consensus from me, a lot of good players, and RandyG. If you don't know, Randy is one of the top handful of pool instructors in the country.

Hu