The Secret of Aiming by Randy Kukla

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that this book has not been discussed here. Pix of the cover and table of contents below. I have some extra copies.

Bob@Billiardbooks.com

Scan20200327_0002.jpg

Scan20200327_0001.jpg

Last edited:

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
Tried finding a copy for awhile...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You mentioned it in an article 20 years ago. It must not be all that special since most people have never heard of it. Or it could be the greatest thing ever....how are we to know?

What has become of Randy? He self published this back in 1994. I wonder if it would do better now with all the online marketing available. I mean, if people use it, and it works, then it'll sell well.

I remember when you told me, before I published Poolology, that the average pool book only sells about 5000 copies in 10 years. I'm grateful that mine is an exception. How would this book, "The Secret of Aiming", fair on that scale? Would it be an exception to that 5000 book norm?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is he related to Fran and Ollie?
From the innerwebz:

Just six months after its debut, station directors estimated that more than 60 percent of Chicago’s 20,000 television sets were tuned to Kukla, Fran and Ollie each day, and the audience was evenly split between children and adults. In 1949, NBC picked the show up for nightly carriage in a prime-time slot. Nielsen reported that by 1952, the show reached 1.5 million homes each night, for a total of 4 million viewers.
There you go -- more popular than pool.

For those of you too timid to click on UTubes, Kukla was the dragon. He had hair, evidently made of asbestos. Asbestos was good in the 40s and 50s and 60s. It seems to have fallen out of style. So, no more dragons with hair.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the innerwebz:

Just six months after its debut, station directors estimated that more than 60 percent of Chicago’s 20,000 television sets were tuned to Kukla, Fran and Ollie each day, and the audience was evenly split between children and adults. In 1949, NBC picked the show up for nightly carriage in a prime-time slot. Nielsen reported that by 1952, the show reached 1.5 million homes each night, for a total of 4 million viewers.

For those of you too timid to click on UTubes, Kukla was the dragon. He had hair, evidently made of asbestos. Asbestos was good in the 40s and 50s and 60s. It seems to have fallen out of style. So, no more dragons with hair.
I saw it only as re-runs. I wasn't born 'til '60 so it was over by then.

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
What do you think of the book Bob?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you think of the book Bob?

I think the material is pretty basic. Kukla talks about quite a few concepts. I think each of them could be explained in more depth. I teach some of the concepts.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
From the innerwebz:

Kuala, Fran & Ollie were something I recall seeing on a Black & White TV with Rabbit Ears Antenna. Back then we did not have more than maybe 5 - 7 Channels, when most quit broadcasting around 10 PM. If you turned on the after that time you saw a test pattern, and hear a sound like a long beep.

Today we got Cable, Satalitte, NetFlicks, etc. I know I most have 100 plus channels, and many times find zero I want to watch.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Today we got Cable, Satalitte, NetFlicks, etc. I know I most have 100 plus channels, and many times find zero I want to watch.[/

Makes it easier to get into reading books. I would much rather spend an hour or two reading a good book than browsing 100+ channels trying to find something worth watching.