What is the Orange Crush?

What is the Orange Crush?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So on the gambling jargon thread, there seems to be confusion on what the Orange Crush is? Jargon links posted mention one thing, some posters feel it is another. Either way, next time you give it or get it, you may want to clarify.

Is it

1. Giving the 5 and out (5,6,7,8,9 you win)
2. Giving the 5 and the break
3. Do you have a different understanding

Needing weight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was coming up as a youngster I used to get the "Orange crush " from a strong local player

It was the wild five out and all of the breaks. I still could not win.

But boy oh boy would I love to get that spot from him today. I would bet the ranch

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wild 5 ball and all the breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nowhere have I seen the 5 out in this spot, by the way. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Life can be a lot simpler if you use words that mean something.

The 'orange' is the 5-ball.
The 'crush' is the break.

If you want the '6-7-8' with that.....ask for it

ND Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had it offered a few time when I was coming up. I accepted twice and learn quickly it was basically a sucker bet. If anyone offers you the orange crush they aren't gambling, they are simply charging for a life lesson. Not too many people offer it that can't back it up... of course there is always the wanna be with more money than sense.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It definitely includes the breaks; that's the crush part. As for whether it's just the 5 or the 5 & out, that may vary depending on who you ask. If I offered someone the orange crush with no clarification, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought I meant 5 & out. If it was offered to me, I'd ask to be sure.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had it offered a few time when I was coming up. I accepted twice and learn quickly it was basically a sucker bet.
Yep, it's one of those spots that is given when there is a large separation in skill levels, and the better player will still have a lock. It's right up there with the "make a ball and you win the game" spot.

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
It depends on what definition is agreed upon. I've seen it vary depending on location and players. Here's some definitions I found on-line --

Orange crush, the
The 5 out (meaning the player getting the handicap can win by making the 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 balls).

orange crush, the

The 5 out (meaning the player getting the handicap can win by making the 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 balls)

orange crush, the

The 5 out (meaning the player getting the handicap can win by making the 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 balls).

Orange Crush - is when the lower rated player receives the 5 ball and the Breaks. 5 being the color Orange and Breaks equal to Crushing the balls. This is named after a popular soda beverage from the 80's, Orange Crush

As for me, the word "crush" always meant "the break" (hence the use of the word "crush"). As for the 5 "only" vs 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 -- that, along with whether or not the break is included, is discussed and agreed upon before commencing further. As Cole Dickson used to say (may he RIP), "Clarify (the situation/game) then verify (that your opponent has the wearwithall)".

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
With the 6 - 7 - and 8 is the Orange Crush with Pulp. :killingme: You kids ... I don't know about you kids.

BTW .. what does 9 ball mean? Is that some kind of shortened game of pool?

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C'mon guys, it's the student fan section at the University of Illinois, everyone knows that! Heh

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very simple.

If I am OFFERING it, it is the wild 5 and the break.

If I am ACCEPTING it, it means the 5 and out plus the break. :)

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very simple.

If I am OFFERING it, it is the wild 5 and the break.

If I am ACCEPTING it, it means the 5 and out plus the break. :)

Gotta love it! I hear you...take what you can get and run with it.:)