I'm DONE with instructional DVD's

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Secrets of the Pro's, NEVER before revealed, take your game to the next level??? Anxiously waiting by the mailbox day after day...it finally arrives..plant a juicy one right on the lips of the mailman for this soon to be life changing experience, and what's THIS? I have to PRACTICE, more and more DRILLS? I want to open the package, pop in the DVD, and 5 minutes later be able to run 150 and out(with the SECRET), but NO, I have to practice again. I practice all the time, and on the practice table I make the ball, meticulously draw the CB two rails to ever so lightly bump the 8 into the open to finish the game.The crowd at the bar gasps, women I've never met before are wanting to sleep with me, and the house pro is trying not to make eye contact.

In a regular match I miss the OB, CB takes flight changing course ever so slightly as not to miss the only table in the room where 17 draft beers along with a chorus of cheesy,dripping hot appetizers await the hungry palates of the local biker gang. I sheepishly retrieve the sticky orb apologizing as I offer to buy another round, return to my table with my tail between my legs, or as the hot babe in the corner kept telling everyone who walked by...look they gave that guy a cheddar wedgie. No more DVD's !!!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm not sure I understand. Instructional DVDs are only there to tell you what to practice either in strategy or technique which some do a fair job at. Execution is always going to be up to you.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Secrets of the Pro's, NEVER before revealed, take your game to the next level??? Anxiously waiting by the mailbox day after day...it finally arrives..plant a juicy one right on the lips of the mailman for this soon to be life changing experience, and what's THIS? I have to PRACTICE, more and more DRILLS? I want to open the package, pop in the DVD, and 5 minutes later be able to run 150 and out(with the SECRET), but NO, I have to practice again. I practice all the time, and on the practice table I make the ball, meticulously draw the CB two rails to ever so lightly bump the 8 into the open to finish the game.The crowd at the bar gasps, women I've never met before are wanting to sleep with me, and the house pro is trying not to make eye contact.

In a regular match I miss the OB, CB takes flight changing course ever so slightly as not to miss the only table in the room where 17 draft beers along with a chorus of cheesy,dripping hot appetizers await the hungry palates of the local biker gang. I sheepishly retrieve the sticky orb apologizing as I offer to buy another round, return to my table with my tail between my legs, or as the hot babe in the corner kept telling everyone who walked by...look they gave that guy a cheddar wedgie. No more DVD's !!!

There is a lot going on in the table top world of pool and someone just saying practice more doesnt always get it.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to buy instructional videos. I suggest you look into Dr. Dave's work. Science and slow motion camera will blow your mind. Forget the TOICTEPRO1ZEROX Secret's of the $1 Challenge crap.

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
That's the secret...practice. 8 hours a day, full time job, 5-6 days a week. It's a pro's job to play pool very well, otherwise they don't make a living at it and have to find a different job. An amateur will never just learn some pointers and then play as well as a top pro, not even close.

Try this, spend a full day, 8 full hours, shooting one shot over and over. Pick any shot that you don't make 95% of the time but should, in 9-ball there's plenty of those kinds of shots that come up a lot. Shoot that shot all day long, nothing else, just over and over and over until you want to puke (or quit pool entirely). Then see how good you get at that shot after doing this "drill". If that works for you, pick another shot and do it again. Congrats, you're on your way and you know the "secret".

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
If you're going to buy instructional videos. I suggest you look into Dr. Dave's work. Science and slow motion camera will blow your mind. Forget the TOICTEPRO1ZEROX Secret's of the $1 Challenge crap.

When I came back to playing I had been absent a long time and I didnt have as many of the old instincts that I used to. So I played awhile and then went for a lesson with a local player who taught.

He missed a few balls in our first racks to see if I could finish them and I did. So he says what did you want me to show you?

I told him that I wasnt consistent and I wanted to fix that and he then proceeded to scramble my brain with more facts and figures than I could handle none of it making sense.

That put me on a path to finding out what would make sense to me and how to try to show people who were where I was how to get a hold on what was going on in their games to give them something to go on.

Without a clue as to what to look for, to deliver to and to work around, its a crap shoot that you will ever figure it out on your own. People preach alignment and all kinds of things but dont really provide a point to align to. You find that and you find the answer, it took me a long time to find the missing pieces but I eventually did.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
For the average person just learning the game, books and videos teaching the basics correctly will give most the bang for the buck. Jeanette Lees video will get anyone stated in the right direction. Better than most aiming videos like xvrtes#2 and Pro # 143 that tell you to spin around two times, bow to the CB, wink at the OB, fart, and then fire away. Johnnyt

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so you bought a few DVDs that you named, It sounds like you expected some form of osmosis to occur, just rubbing your hand on the cover made you better.
Well it don't work that way, you want new knowledge, but sound as if applying the information is a kin to a hernia operation.
Practice is a theme in every book, and DVD I've ever seen, finding your weakness and turning it into a strength is the name of the game.
I watch player come in every day , rack a set for 9 ball, and get going, they will tell you they are practicing. When I play them , you see there weakness, weak bankers, poor safety, anything over 4 diamonds hit and miss, it just goes on.
Yes you can spend 8 hours doing one shot, but if your doing it wrong you just reinforced 8 hours of wrong technique. I find working on a drill kind of goes like this, day one, tough all over the place, day 2 things start to take shape, after 3-5 days got it down. Now if on day one it goes all good, I try some tougher drills.
After blaming the DVD and that seems old, many go for a new cue, remember its the Indian not the arrow.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
For the average person just learning the game, books and videos teaching the basics correctly will give most the bang for the buck. Jeanette Lees video will get anyone stated in the right direction. Better than most aiming videos like xvrtes#2 and Pro # 143 that tell you to spin around two times, bow to the CB, wink at the OB, fart, and then fire away. Johnnyt

Johnnyt,
I have to say thats quite an analogy. I tried it a time or two and felt out of line and thats where I let it go.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnnyt,
I have to say thats quite an analogy. I tried it a time or two and felt out of line and thats where I let it go.

It's better if you play a Guy Lombardo record==="A one and a two and a three and a four". Johnnyt

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
that tell you to spin around two times, bow to the CB, wink at the OB, fart, and then fire away. Johnnyt

Johnny -- The system on the DVD isn't working for you because you've got it all wrong! You're just not applying the system properly!

It's "fire away and then fart". You've got it a##backwards! (i.e. the fart is part of the follow-through)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Johnny -- The system on the DVD isn't working for you because you've got it all wrong! You're just not applying the system properly!

It's "fire away and then fart". You've got it a##backwards! (i.e. the fart is part of the follow-through)

Ha, Ha, Ha

Im glad you cleared that up!

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so you bought a few DVDs that you named, It sounds like you expected some form of osmosis to occur, just rubbing your hand on the cover made you better.
Well it don't work that way, you want new knowledge, but sound as if applying the information is a kin to a hernia operation.
Practice is a theme in every book, and DVD I've ever seen, finding your weakness and turning it into a strength is the name of the game.
I watch player come in every day , rack a set for 9 ball, and get going, they will tell you they are practicing. When I play them , you see there weakness, weak bankers, poor safety, anything over 4 diamonds hit and miss, it just goes on.
Yes you can spend 8 hours doing one shot, but if your doing it wrong you just reinforced 8 hours of wrong technique. I find working on a drill kind of goes like this, day one, tough all over the place, day 2 things start to take shape, after 3-5 days got it down. Now if on day one it goes all good, I try some tougher drills.
After blaming the DVD and that seems old, many go for a new cue, remember its the Indian not the arrow.

Yeah...I'm gonna blame the DVD cause if it says SECRETS, and there are no secrets, just the same old practice drills, or variations thereof, It's a lie!!! If they were to advertise it as "The Same Old Song and Dance" I wouldn't be unhappy. If it says Be a Master, and I put in the time, then I expect to be a Master. It's just not a few DVD's...I've bought most everything that's come out since the 70's...I spent a few days in Madison with Jerry B., conversing with Larry Nevels at the bar between lessons, been to Rockford with Bob. I've beaten pro's in 9 ball matches. I not only do the practice drills, but probably know who invented them......not to boast, just to show you I'm no newbie. THEN you'll probably say, "If you keep doing the work, but you have reached a plateau, then it's MENTAL"....OK! Then don't sell me breathing exercises, or positive thinking, be one with the ball videos. Take a syringe full of Earl's cerebral fluids and send it to me, and I'll eye slam it.! I don't have time for yoga, and my ZENliness left me years ago. Oh...but then there's the Natural Talent angle...spare me!!

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DVD's

I buy a lot of them as well but I'm not so sure there is not a magic pill out there somewhere...

I played golf for many years and was always a 90-100 golfer. I tried everything and bought every dvd/book. I practiced long hours and played frequently. In 2008, I had to relocate and move. When unpacking some boxes, I stumbled on a set of the Stack and Tilt DVDs that had never been opened. I bought them somewhere but never watched them. I popped them in the player and watched it all the way through. I then went to the range and hit the ball like never before. I hadn't touched a club in months due to the move but had never hit the ball like this before. The first time I played, I shot 85 on a strange course. I worked at the S&T and even took a workshop with one of the teachers. My game got down in the 70's consistently. I turned out to be one of the golfers that changed his game after playing for 15 years. It was cool.

I'm now reading the Inner Game of Tennis and Golf. Gallaway discusses it is sometime better to watch and visualize than to be told to do something. That is the way I felt with the golf. It was finally a method that made sense to me, fit my swing, and was easy for me to replicate. I don't think it is that way for everyone with S&T but there will be something out there that will click.

I'm looking for that same thing with pool. Their will be a method out there that will give me more reliable results. I just have to keep looking...

Good luck to ya!

Lonnie

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Yeah...I'm gonna blame the DVD cause if it says SECRETS, and there are no secrets, just the same old practice drills, or variations thereof, It's a lie!!! If they were to advertise it as "The Same Old Song and Dance" I wouldn't be unhappy. If it says Be a Master, and I put in the time, then I expect to be a Master. It's just not a few DVD's...I've bought most everything that's come out since the 70's...I spent a few days in Madison with Jerry B., conversing with Larry Nevels at the bar between lessons, been to Rockford with Bob. I've beaten pro's in 9 ball matches. I not only do the practice drills, but probably know who invented them......not to boast, just to show you I'm no newbie. THEN you'll probably say, "If you keep doing the work, but you have reached a plateau, then it's MENTAL"....OK! Then don't sell me breathing exercises, or positive thinking, be one with the ball videos. Take a syringe full of Earl's cerebral fluids and send it to me, and I'll eye slam it.! I don't have time for yoga, and my ZENliness left me years ago. Oh...but then there's the Natural Talent angle...spare me!!

A lot of people find themselves right where you are. There are a lot of good intentioned people out there that found there way in the game and they try and help people but their descriptions of what to do is understandable to them but not everyone else.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did all those people before DVD's and VHS tapes get to be so good if they didn't have access to any of this junk?

Practice....

So go out there and start spending time in your local pool hall.
Never come back home.

Then you can make your own DVD and title it with some silly promise that bowls down to:

Practice...!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

When I cut my teeth, NO ONE would give you any information, now there's too much eh? You've chosen theeeeeeeeeeeee most difficult game of all to expect Quick results, and it also just may not be in the cards for you or your demeanor or???. I've given so many lessons years ago and only a handful got ALLOT better, it ALWAYS comes down to the man in the mirror. Ones actions in life are parallel with all ones other actions. There's no quick fix period in this frikkin' game. My epiphanies' came once I totally understood ball collisions and then when I made a critical error during play. I would go over and over in my mind ''what actually happened'' and from there I'd correct my game. It took me two weeks once to figure out why I lost 11-10 when I was up 9-1. But then a month later I won my first and only pro event.
Life ain't simple, I'm sure your parents can attest to that.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hi Tim,

If you don't mind telling, how old are you, how long have you been playing, & what do want in (or from) the game?

Best Wishes,
Rick

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I'm going to start another thread real quick addressing this...

The quick and simple of it is this.

Pool is a game of little epiphanies building on each other.

Jaden

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

POST OF THE YEAR!!! And its only March. :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1: