Anybody old enough to remember spittoons around the bar?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when I was around 16 I was invited by one of the regulars to come to Monmouth Illinois to play some of the 'old timers'(I R 1 now), don't remember the name of the pool hall, but the stench was hard to bear. The tables played like they were covered in berber carpet that was a little sticky, and about every 6 feet around the bar were spittoons, where accuracy wasn't a requirement. I'm retired now, but has anyone else had an experience like this?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
In 1959 when my Dad and I bought the poolroom in East Islip, Long Island there were two rows of four tables. There was a spitttoon on the floor near every table. We got rid of them before we opened. Johnnyt

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first job I ever had, was cleaning spitoons for free table time at the pool hall..Cleaning the floor around them was even worse, because as the OP said, accuracy was never a high priority!..At the time, (late 40's) every bar and pool room had plenty of spitoons! :eek:

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some bars also had a trough with a stream of water on the bar. I know a guy who would be over 100 years old now if he was still alive who owned some taverns in St Louis. He said a customer took a leak in that water trough once.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing that killed the spittoon was TB actually. That disease prompted anti-spitting laws all over the country. As a physician I was actually surprised that people still remember spittoons. I would have thought they went away earlier than that, like before WWII. Obviously I was wrong.

By the time I hit the pool halls they were already gone.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing that killed the spittoon was TB actually. That disease prompted anti-spitting laws all over the country. As a physician I was actually surprised that people still remember spittoons. I would have thought they went away earlier than that, like before WWII. Obviously I was wrong.

By the time I hit the pool halls they were already gone.

They were still around in the 40's and 50's in Texas

BurritoBandido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some bars also had a trough with a stream of water on the bar. I know a guy who would be over 100 years old now if he was still alive who owned some taverns in St Louis. He said a customer took a leak in that water trough once.

Bars in Mexico had these when I was a kid......

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The little town I'm from only had one poolroom, and it was in the back of a Chinese restaurant.
The owner was poor and couldn't afford spittoons so if a patron needed to spit he had to go outside. Many a time I've seen someone running for the backdoor, their cheeks bulging with tobacco juice. A few feet from the rear entrance was a pile of dried chew that had grown to nearly three feet high.
When the town's folk ate at the restaurant up front, they knew better than to use the soy sauce. :smile:

Last edited:

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember ever seeing them as commonplace, but I do recall seeing them from time to time. Catches me off-guard every time I do see one in a pool hall.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember ever seeing them as commonplace, but I do recall seeing them from time to time. Catches me off-guard every time I do see one in a pool hall.

I actually have occasionally seen one here or there. Sometimes with sand in it to be used as an ash tray. Sometimes just as part of the decor in an old bar, but not in use. I don't think I have ever seen one in use. In fact they are probably illegal in most places in the US.

I do remember seeing on in a bar in rural Arizona. There was a sign above it. Something like: "Please don't use the spittoon". It was just a decoration in an old bar.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this will date me, but yes, there were polished Brass Spittoons in the Pool Halls of my youth. Now there are Dixie Cups ....

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend in college had a spittoon in his dorm room. He also used it as his piggy bank, and would throw all of his loose change in it. He said that way he was sure to save his change, instead of spending it.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember when I was around 16 I was invited by one of the regulars to come to Monmouth Illinois to play some of the 'old timers'(I R 1 now), don't remember the name of the pool hall, but the stench was hard to bear. The tables played like they were covered in berber carpet that was a little sticky, and about every 6 feet around the bar were spittoons, where accuracy wasn't a requirement. I'm retired now, but has anyone else had an experience like this?

They still have them in bars across country. Not many, but you'd be surprised.

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually found one in my dads garage last week. Took awhile to clean it up and have it in my home room. I will post a picture of it tomorrow.

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when I was a kid here in Alabama the pool room had them along the walls there was as much on the walls as in the can there was allot of action and cussing the owner was in a wheel chair after he closed the city has blocked any one from opening a another pool room here in Blountsville AL got my education there LOL

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my Dad's garage

Cleaned up it looks pretty good,
Sorry for the big sideways picture but it holds a lot of spit...

Attachments

• 20161005_214441.jpg
    20161005_214441.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited: