Do you practice

Popeye31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you practice and if so how long and is it every day or every few days once a week.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you practice and if so how long and is it every day or every few days once a week.
For me practice IS playing. I am just as happy playing by myself as competing.
I can play for hours by myself.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I used to, now days I play about 3 months out of the year. Usually 1 or 2 times a week at a tournament. It hurts my game not practicing, but pool is my winter hobby, and a bad back makes playing painful for long periods of time. I really like playing, but not being able to walk the next day keeps me from doing it.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I used to, now days I play about 3 months out of the year. Usually 1 or 2 times a week at a tournament. It hurts my game not practicing, but pool is my winter hobby, and a bad back makes playing painful for long periods of time. I really like playing, but not being able to walk the next day keeps me from doing it.

That was the Harry Caray regimen. I used to live in Chicago and noticed your avatar. The seventh inning stretch with Harry half loaded singing Take me out to the Ball Game was the best.

P.S. I hear ya" about the back. I keep going and take Advil. ;)

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 67, I'm only good for c. 100 balls a day; so 6 or 7 games of straight.

I do my best to do this each and every day. If I ever go a week without getting to the table, my game really,really suffers. The cue is no longer a part of me, and it takes several days before it again disappears...if that makes any sense...:smile:

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I shoot every day. Most practice session last 1 1/2 hours. I have a set of reference shots I execute which have really helped me. I play in league on Wednesday and Thursday and have a fun Saturday get together with a bunch of friends (10am - 6pm). This routine has been exceptionally helpful.

Al

tommyhill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when I played full time on the pro tour which was pre children I practiced every day for a minimum of 4 hours. I had a coach who would run me through drills, chart breaks, work on different English etc etc etc. Now there is no real pro tour to speak of, I have two teenagers and I am the manager of a pool room. I'm lucky if I get to hit balls once or twice a week. But I practice as much as I can.... In my humble opinion simply playing with someone is not good practice but it's better than not hitting the balls at all

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Yes, between practice and play about 50 hours a week. There is a huge difference between practice and play. I spend an hour & a half on breaking, 2 hours on varying shots and drills followed by a few hours of play M-Thursday, FRIDAY-Sunday it's all play. If you don't put in time actually practicing various aspects of your game I believe your play will not steadily improve.

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I try to practice / play everyday. This usually ends up being 4-5 times a week. I practice various drills and shots for about an hour, then I shoot 8 ball against myself for a couple of hours. I've been playing off and on for 20 plus years and still learning....

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Three days a week. 20 minutes at a time of designated practice.

My game got better when I realized that playing is not practice.

randyg

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

I play maybe 3 to 4 hrs a week if that. The bad thing is that when you walk in my front door my table is the 1st thing you see. My neighbor and close friend is a monster player but he's going thru cancer treatments right now and he's usually the one pushing me to practice . We play very little at the moment. I practice a lot more when there's something to practice for but there's no tournaments and very little reason to try and stay in dead punch. People are different when it comes to motivation and I just don't usually care to play unless there's something riding on it. My friend however just punishes people for picking up the cue whether there's anything on it or not.....

Popeye31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys looks like I need to get to work on this table im building so practice doesn't cost as much as lessons.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, between practice and play about 50 hours a week. There is a huge difference between practice and play. I spend an hour & a half on breaking, 2 hours on varying shots and drills followed by a few hours of play M-Thursday, FRIDAY-Sunday it's all play. If you don't put in time actually practicing various aspects of your game I believe your play will not steadily improve.

I totally agree. I can't stand it when people say practice is playing. Tiger Woods didn't become the golfer he was by just going out and playing rounds of golf every day, nor does any elite player of any sport. You need focused time practicing and improving each area of the game using repetition in each area to gain a solid muscle memory, feel, and mental understanding of what goes into performing that task. That doesn't improve to an elite level by just randomly shooting shots as they come up on games that you play.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice every day 2-3 hours and play with friends twice a week for 2.5 hours. At home I only do a couple of drills for about 15 mins, then play myself in 9 or 10 ball. I always win! At home that is.

Kjs48

Registered
I practice at home each day about 1-1/12 hrs. Then play a couple hours per day, League on Tues night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD