Rolling The Cue Ball

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. But I think a key factor is the object ball speed. As you said, you have to adjust to different conditions. Slow rolling is fine as long as the table is level.

I feel like the idea is getting lost within the concept of `slow`rolling.

Watching Efren play the ghost, and I`d say 99% of his shots are roll shots. And even the one percent that he has to ``punch``, I`d still say it`s debatable whether it`s a punch shot or not.

So you can roll-roll, roll-draw, roll-force follow etc.

I don`t think literally rolling the ball everywhere by hitting above center was the answer you were looking for when you posted this topic.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like the idea is getting lost within the concept of `slow`rolling.

Watching Efren play the ghost, and I`d say 99% of his shots are roll shots. And even the one percent that he has to ``punch``, I`d still say it`s debatable whether it`s a punch shot or not.

So you can roll-roll, roll-draw, roll-force follow etc.

I don`t think literally rolling the ball everywhere by hitting above center was the answer you were looking for when you posted this topic.

I didn't read the last few posts above yours but you can't roll-draw or roll-force follow a shot. The whole concept of rolling a ball is to get it rolling end-over-end as quickly as possible, once the ball leaves the cue tip.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If your having to grip firmer for higher speed shots to control the stick better....that suggests your delivery is not a smooth fluid motion....

Think of it like if I told you to put a piece of chalk in your open palm.....and while leaving your hand open, you reach back with it and throw it accurately at something directly in front of you......

If you jerk.... The movement will make the chalk fall out your hand....if you reach back smoothly and make the throw in a smooth and momentum building fashion, one can throw that chalk pretty darn fast and accurately, or slow and accurately for that matter.....

Many "punchers" are just bad strokers imop....often the stroking arm decelerates prior to cb contact......which makes the player try and have more speed on the delivery initially.....which leads to jerky movements then....and the same erratic behavior happens during the deceleration...

Balls aren't hit softer by penetrating the cb less.....they are not hit harder by penetrating further than normal either.

Regardless if one is a pendulum or piston style stroker.....the "grip/cradle" hand should always at least make it just past the shoulder of same arm.....

Generally the part of the stroke bf the cb hit is the less distance traveled in relation to how far the hand moves after the hit.

If your hand is moving forward still after the hit.....then the hit will be more pure and speed can be better judged in a more consistent fashion.

If it's not your decelerating and physically doing more work along with more mental figuring....

Half strokes lead to skids.....think about the "drag draw" shot.....many just hit it with a half peck of a stroke.....so you get the skid.....why not just use our normal stroke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk