If you could travel back in time, where would you travel to, and why?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
tap tap tap

1966, to a pool hall in Springfield, Illinois. On a trip to Pennsylvania to visit family, we stopped there and my dad introduced me to the game of pool.

I'd like to go back in time to that old, musty-smelling room playing again with Pop. :angel2:

A great road trip that is forever etched into my memory bank.

Maniac

Love this. Thank you for sharing. My dad took me to my first pool hall in 1994 and the rest was history. I am very fortunate to still have my pop around and I know the time is fleeting. I will honor your father by cherishing each day I have with mine. I'd love to hear if you have a good story of the two of you you'd like to share.

As for history, all good answers. I agree with SJM about Greenleaf, but I also am dying to see Lassiter play 9 ball in his prime. He was the first legendary 9 ball player once the game came around and I'd love to see what the game looked like in it's infancy. Johnson City might be a cover all bingo in this regard as I'd get to see so much of that era in pool.

Great reminder that the pool going on right now will be the talk of people in 50-100 years and people will wish they had the chance to see some of our greats today up close and personal. Of course we have video but that doesn't tell the whole story. It's about context too.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to college when i decided to put pool fist
and go on the road with titanic

this time i would choose the path to medical school

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could bring video equipment, Mosconi's 526.

That video would be a hoot on the 626 Legit threads...

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I really enjoyed the 1980's when the women and men had tournaments at the same place.

It was nice to spend time with both under the same roof.

Was also nice to be able to afford gas and a room.

Lots of money to gamble with back in those days.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go back and watch all of Greenleaf and Mosconi play their 100 game exhibition tour.
Greenleaf won 53 to 47.
Imagine those two monsters playing 14.1 on 10 foot tables.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd choose the late 1800s to witness the further development of straight rail billiards from the mid 1800s and see the greats of that time, Jake Schaefer, Frank ives, and all the others. Fascinating time.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being in Michigan, I'm going to say -- I'd like to go back and see Harold Worst play. He died so young and I can't help but wonder if this added to his legend. Would love to see him play with my own two eyes.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Being in Michigan, I'm going to say -- I'd like to go back and see Harold Worst play. He died so young and I can't help but wonder if this added to his legend. Would love to see him play with my own two eyes.

Harold was something to see. He was rock solid at the table. The only one who I could compare him with is Raymond Ceuelmans, the great Three Cushion player. Harold went about his business quietly and efficiently, making the balls and getting position with no visible stress or strain. He was not demonstrative in any way, his stoic expression not changing while he was at the table. He rarely needed to make any spectacular shots because he stayed in line so well. But if needed he had a very powerful stroke. Like in the other thread about what makes champions better players, he just didn't miss any balls, played pin point position and was consistent from start to finish. Plus he had no quiver in him at any time during a match. He played the same whether ahead or behind (which was rare in itself). He was our "Efren!"

Harold may have been 5'11" or thereabouts, but was thickly built, a solid 200 pounds plus I'm sure. He had big strong hands, that I also remember because he shook my hand once. Our conversation was pretty much hello and that's it. I was too young and timid to approach him to chat. He was an early hero to me. I watched him take on the top hustlers on their terms and hand them their ass. He would look them right in the eye too. Harold had no back down in him! He gained the respect of everyone in the pool world in the span of less than ten years, and then he was gone. You couldn't find one person who would say anything bad about him!

He was only getting better at all games before he died, even winning at Johnston City only months before his death. I saw him play in that last event and was surprised how thin he had become. I had no idea he was ill. Harold was not the kind of man to complain publicly about his health. He would never use that as an excuse. He was a man's Man! And we all knew it.

Last edited:
Harold was something to see. He was rock solid at the table. The only one who I could compare him with is Raymond Ceuelmans, the great Three Cushion player. Harold went about his business quietly and efficiently, making the balls and getting position with no visible stress or strain. He was not demonstrative in any way, his stoic expression not changing while he was at the table. He rarely needed to make any spectacular shots because he stayed in line so well. But if needed he had a very powerful stroke. Like in the other thread about what makes champions better players, he just didn't miss any balls, played pin point position and was consistent from start to finish. Plus he had no quiver in him at any time during a match. He played the same whether ahead or behind (which was rare in itself). He was our "Efren!"

Harold may have been 5'11" or thereabouts, but was thickly built, a solid 200 pounds plus I'm sure. He had big strong hands, that I also remember because he shook my hand once. Our conversation was pretty much hello and that's it. I was too young and timid to approach him to chat. He was an early hero to me. I watched him take on the top hustlers on their terms and hand them their ass. He would look them right in the eye too. Harold had no back down in him! He gained the respect of everyone in the pool world in the span of less than ten years, and then he was gone. You couldn't find one person who would say anything bad about him!

He was only getting better at all games before he died, even winning at Johnston City only months before his death. I saw him play in that last event and was surprised how thin he had become. I had no idea he was ill. Harold was not the kind of man to complain publicly about his health. He would never use that as an excuse. He was a man's Man! And we all knew it.

That is such a great, and a really sad story at the same time. Love reading your posts. They are so interesting.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I would go back to 1986 and make sure someone other than Tom Cruise was cast in COM...….

who exactly??? tom cruise has more charisma in his left pinky than you do your entire body. he made that film, noone else could pull off immature and regretful like he did. theres noone in the 80s who could possibly play the part like he did.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I asked the Miz if Harold was as good as people say he was....the Miz said “Better.”
..as Harold’s health worsened, Miz was like a valet for him...whatever he needed.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good choice

If you could travel back in time, even just for a day, a week, a month, or a year, to any era in pools history of the game, and to any specific pool room, where would you want to travel to, and why?

For me, I would wish to travel back to the early to mid 80's, and see Keith McCready in his prime.

I do not know where specifically he is from, or if he had a specific pool room that he often frequented, but that is where I would love to travel back to, and to visit the pool room that he frequented most often.

He was such a great character, and a great player.

Would still love to meet him, and maybe even have a chance to shoot with him someday.

I was fortunate to see Keith in his prime in the early 80’s in ky woofing it up, gambling with anybody for any amount including the best players in the world. He and Louie Roberts were the 2 guys along with earl that you just don’t forget

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I would go back to 1986 and make sure someone other than Tom Cruise was cast in COM...….

Agree with this. All Cruise can ever do is grimace and shreek. The actor should have been a much smarter, subtle character.

All the best,
WW

I certainly would not go back before the dawn of modern medicine (say circa 1975)

Well, in this fantasy, you would have a time machine, so you could go back to your present time at any time you wanted to.

I would love to go back to the years that Ralph Greenleaf won all of his world championship titles, and see him play in person.

I remember reading a post that said that Greenleaf would sometimes go days without making a single mistake on the pool table.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’d go back to when I first started playing and tell myself to floss more.