buying a diamond table was the best investment i ever made

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have made some big time screw ups in my time. the wife and i bought a condo to rent out and have a tax shelter years ago. lasted 2 years of sorrow with bad tenants, missing rent, repairs, ect. let it go back to the bank. was glad to get rid of it.

pulled from my 401 to pay off my house. big time mistake, paid penalties and taxes, put me in a higher tax bracket for that year. very bad mistake.

but the best investment i have ever made was giving away my chinese pool table i bought sight unseen from the internet. just gave it away to the first person who called, free of charge. just take the piece of junk, and they did. only had it for 2 months.

bought a 7 foot pro am for 5100, delivered and set up, tax included.

i have had this table for 19 months, and i have had so much enjoyment from this table.
i play and practice every day, i have recovered it twice, and now that i know how to keep the cloth clean, the table still looks brand new. (except on one leg where the new puppy took a little chew out of a leg.)

and now with this quarantine, and being 63, i just stay at home, turn on the radio, and practice. i feel sorry for my brothers out there that cant play, but boys, stay away from the judochoke, as im starting to put it all together.

just broke thru a huge plateau. running multiple 9 ball racks now. good luck during the quarantine.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have made some big time screw ups in my time. the wife and i bought a condo to rent out and have a tax shelter years ago. lasted 2 years of sorrow with bad tenants, missing rent, repairs, ect. let it go back to the bank. was glad to get rid of it.

pulled from my 401 to pay off my house. big time mistake, paid penalties and taxes, put me in a higher tax bracket for that year. very bad mistake.

but the best investment i have ever made was giving away my chinese pool table i bought sight unseen from the internet. just gave it away to the first person who called, free of charge. just take the piece of junk, and they did. only had it for 2 months.

i have had this table for 19 months, and i have had so much enjoyment from this table.
i play and practice every day, i have recovered it twice, and now that i know how to keep the cloth clean, the table still looks brand new. (except on one leg where the new puppy took a little chew out of a leg.)

and now with this quarantine, and being 63, i just stay at home, turn on the radio, and practice. i feel sorry for my brothers out there that cant play, but boys, stay away from the judochoke, as im starting to put it all together.

just broke thru a huge plateau. running multiple 9 ball racks now. good luck during the quarantine.

Nice! I am close to having one at home but not quite yet - which is a drag right now. Keep up the good work!

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great

That is a great story with a happy ending. I agree My Diamond table gives me hours of relaxation very therapeutic . In 2000 I purchased new from Diamonds a Red label in 2012 or 13 had the Red Label converted by Diamonds to a Blue label. Having my own table is one of my best moves.
Glad this move worked out for you.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I'll 2nd this. Most the stuff I buy usually ends up being crap from China. Diamond tables are money in the bank.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Is the Diamond factory still open.............or shut down due to Covid-19?

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the table i got from the internet was only 1700. but the installer didnt even put any wax over the bolt holes, just left a empty space where the bolt attaches the slate to the table. kept watching the ball dip in certain spaces on the table. ran my finger over the spot and there was a dvid???? i was fuming. called the owner and screamed at him, telling him i was going to ruin him on yelp. he offered to do this and that, ended up getting refunded 200 bucks.

diamond is pure class. a beautiful table. and yes, its very relaxing to shoot pool.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a diamond 7 ft pro-am, you can't get a better 7 ft. table, hope it gives you many years of fun. 3 yrs ago I had to stay home for 3 months to watch my dad. i got an 8 ft. imperial table with 1 inch slate, which needs some simonis 860 in the fall.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Recovered twice in 19 months...:smile: That is a LOT of play!

As they now say... sitting is the new smoking in terms of health concern... a home
table is now a 'required' piece of furniture!! :wink:

Enjoy...… and send spot to the dog house.

td

the table i got from the internet was only 1700. but the installer didnt even put any wax over the bolt holes, just left a empty space where the bolt attaches the slate to the table. kept watching the ball dip in certain spaces on the table. ran my finger over the spot and there was a dvid???? i was fuming. called the owner and screamed at him, telling him i was going to ruin him on yelp. he offered to do this and that, ended up getting refunded 200 bucks.

diamond is pure class. a beautiful table. and yes, its very relaxing to shoot pool.

That sounds horrible. I wonder why the person did not offer to come back and fix the table, if that is something he could do.

Did you get it fixed?

mcfly1955

Registered
Aren't the holes in most tables under the rails/not on the playing surface - so usually they are not filled?

Mine are not filled, but they would never be rolled over since they are under the cushions.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 6 spaces where the bolts attach the skate were all one inch from the rail. All 6 holes could be felt. The owner said he was not going to use that installer again. I had already made my decision to get rid of the table by then. My philosophy in life is to move forward.
It was my and only my fault for not doing my research on pool tables. I won’t do that again.

To make matters worse, I ordered red felt😩 and of course, after the ***** installer left me with blue chalk, which of course I used. So after the first day, the table was streaked with blue marks, which would not come out. So After one month, I got the piece of junk recovered with blue simiones.

Still a piece of junk. So my total loss was 1700-200=1500
Recover was 500, so my total loss was 2000. 💴💴💴💴😩😩😩😩

But now I’m on a diamond. 😎😎😎😎😎😎

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The 6 spaces where the bolts attach the skate were all one inch from the rail. All 6 holes could be felt. The owner said he was not going to use that installer again. I had already made my decision to get rid of the table by then. My philosophy in life is to move forward.
It was my and only my fault for not doing my research on pool tables. I won’t do that again.

To make matters worse, I ordered red felt😩 and of course, after the ***** installer left me with blue chalk, which of course I used. So after the first day, the table was streaked with blue marks, which would not come out. So After one month, I got the piece of junk recovered with blue simiones.

Recover was 500, so my total loss was 2000. 💴💴💴💴😩😩😩😩

But now I’m on a diamond. 😎😎😎😎😎😎

I do not know anything of table mechanics, but couldn't they fill the bolt voids during the re-cover?

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member

To make matters worse, I ordered red felt�� and of course, after the ***** installer left me with blue chalk, which of course I used. So after the first day, the table was streaked with blue marks, which would not come out. So After one month, I got the piece of junk recovered with blue simiones.

Recover was 500, so my total loss was 2000. ����������������

But now I’m on a diamond. ������������

Not making lite of your misfortune but this is hilarious. I too can relate to chit hitting the fan as soon as it's in my driveway, or the minute the warranty expires...

This post offers some anecdotal advice that extends well beyond just pool tables. Don't throw good money after bad, cut your losses, if you got what you paid for you were lucky, et al...

JC

Coos Cues
Recovered twice in 19 months...:smile: That is a LOT of play!

As they now say... sitting is the new smoking in terms of health concern... a home
table is now a 'required' piece of furniture!! :wink:

Enjoy...… and send spot to the dog house.

td

That does sound like a lot.

I have a 9 foot Diamond set up and covered by the notorious RKC in 2013 with Simonis 860hr and it's not nearly ready for cloth today. I practice by myself at least an hour a day and am really lazy caring for it. Balls are usually dirty. Never put the cover on. Clean it about once a month.

Is it possible to kill cloth with kindness?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
That does sound like a lot.

I have a 9 foot Diamond set up and covered by the notorious RKC in 2013 with Simonis 860hr and it's not nearly ready for cloth today. I practice by myself at least an hour a day and am really lazy caring for it. Balls are usually dirty. Never put the cover on. Clean it about once a month.

Is it possible to kill cloth with kindness?

Fix it 'til it's broke.