Off brand CFS vs name brand

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody know what the differences are between the big name Carbon Fiber Shafts and the off brand shafts?
Thanks

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody know what the differences are between the big name Carbon Fiber Shafts and the off brand shafts?
Thanks

Deflection rates
Finish and fitment
Warranty
Ability to customize
Availability
Cost
Resale value

Jeff

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
There’s a lot of R&D that should go in to developing/manufacturing a carbon fiber shaft. There are many types of carbon fiber and several ways to make a shaft. Those brands that develop their product properly will logically have a better product.

I really believe it’s not just a matter of buying some unknown “supposed” carbon fiber tubes and finishing them. I’d compare it to wood like this.

It’s simply just a new material to work with.
You have to know how to select what type of material to start with.
You have to know how to process the material to get the end result.
The end result needs to be repeatable.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
As usual, Predator has the lowest deflection ones. That was true of the wooden ld's as well. So if you care about deflection, Predator is the way to go. Of course, to achieve this, they made the shaft hollow and thin, which means the feel is not as solid as some of the other offerings. I heard Cuetec may lower their prices soon. If true, that is great news, because the shaft they make is allready the best or maybe second best to Mezz, IMO. At a lower price the competition will be blown away. The Mezz is so outrageously priced, I cannot recommend it.

The no-name shafts are not so good. I haven't tried one I like yet, and I doubt I ever will. The surfacing is bad and the feel is inconsistent. Buy a Cuetec, and be done with it.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Cuetec Cynergy is superior to the REVO and costs considerably less. They also had an 11.8 that they were showing for a couple of days at BCA-PL, before it was shut-down.

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I started with a Meucci 21-3c w/cf shaft. I liked it and then decided to purchase a Cynergy cf for my Schon. It plays even better.

However I like to have things look like they belong together. The plain all black cf Cynergy on my Schon bothered me due to the missing ring work. So I had a local cue builder, David Rowell out of Birmingham AL, build me one with the Schon nickel ring work. I also had him put a Ultraskin Pro tip on it.

The shaft David built is as low in deflection as my Cynergy. It does seem to have a more solid feeling hit to it, like that of a wood shaft. The ring work does not seem the affect the hit at all, this was something David was initially concerned about. David’s cf shaft has become my primary playing shaft.

So with all that said, it a local builder if doing cf shafts, I recommend trying one out. They seem to be much less expensive and in my case, play better. Do your research and know your builder.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks for the options guys. I live in an non metropolitan area so I’ve never seen a CFS or shot with one. I found a local cue mechanic (50miles) advertising carbon fiber shafts at a reasonable price. I called, made an appointment, tried one out. I usually play with a Z2 and his CFS played almost identical to it. The was super smooth and very straight. I order one and got it the other day. I gave him my butt to match up the shaft and it matches so well you can barely feel the joint. It is extremely smooth and straight. I had him do the tip at 12.4 with a Kamui soft tip ( his recommendation), it has a pro taper and plays great.
I’m thinking that providing him with the butt has a distinct advantage over buying a brand name shaft because of the fit at the joint and I saved some bucks. Love the shaft.