Does music effect your play?

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just wondering if music in your local pool hall effects your play. I know for a fact that it effects mine, both good and bad- depending on what's playing on the jukebox!

Even though I like music a lot, I would prefer no music at all when playing because I find the tempos and styles of differening songs can really change my pace.

If it adversely effects you, how do you cope? Earplugs? It's no wonder pool can be such a mentally exhausting game.

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
i wish my poolroom didint play music at all, not because i dont like music but because my room turns into bangers heaven at about 8pm.

when its early its nice and quiet with just the sound of the balls and the breaks.

im gonna start wearing my ipod at night.

Last edited:

shinigami

Consistently Inconsistent
Silver Member
I used to shoot pool in this pool hall that blasted hip hop and trance all night. However, when I'm shooting it's like my mind wipes out the background music. It's really hard to describe. I mean I can still hear all the music, but at the same time, it's going in one ear and out the other. My focus is only on the table. Once my turn is over, I realize how loud the music is

Firecracker

aka Crackalackin
Silver Member
Cuaba said:
Nothing is worse than bad country music on the jukebox.
So true....

Though this weekend at the OB stop, someone decided to play a medley of movie thing songs from Star Wars to the Godfather...that was pretty bad too.

Music really affects my play, so I allot spending money for the jukebox if one is offered at the tournament locale. If I hear music that I am used to hearing, I tend to focus on the music and let my subconcious take over my pool game. If "bad" music is playing, I unfortunately let it distract me.

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home room has a great online jucbox. The kids just love to play that new angry hip hop poop drop music.

I need some wire cutters.

Pete

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chuck (2) said:
I'm just wondering if music in your local pool hall effects your play. I know for a fact that it effects mine, both good and bad- depending on what's playing on the jukebox!

Even though I like music a lot, I would prefer no music at all when playing because I find the tempos and styles of differening songs can really change my pace.

If it adversely effects you, how do you cope? Earplugs? It's no wonder pool can be such a mentally exhausting game.

Intersting thread.

I think music that I like keeps me energized, and sometimes actually improves my performace if I'm playing bad. Now if I'm in the zone to begin when or bearing down against a tough opponent, no music is what I prefer. Music affects me almost the same way that talking does, it keeps my mind just enough off the shot that I miss.

johnnydub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice with my ipod on and sometimes i dont even notice when its not playing music, when I'm playing its as if i zone out the noise.

Although if im playing in a social situation I hate when someone puts the same song on over and over again all night.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do not listen

when i play pool i never hear the music, my brain is concentrating on the game. i can think about how i am going to play this ball, position on the next, how hard, how soft to hit the ball, just go over the game in your mind and really try to think about how to get out. the more you concentrate on the game at hand the less music you will hear. chuck

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Music is fine, but then there's the other stuff. There is one club that I like for their tournaments, but they think the five regulars at the bar need the music REAL LOUD and the speakers are all back with the pool tables where the ten to twenty pool players don't want to hear it. Ask that it be turned down and I swear they will turn it up louder.

Then there's karaoke... I have seen that make object balls curve 6 inches.

PastPrime

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Music? I don't need no stinking music!

I don't like music while I'm playing but I can handle it if the volume is lower but normally at the Pool Hall it changes about 5:00 pm and goes way loud and hip-hop. I had ear plugs made for $50.00 and they work extremely well but I would just as soon not have to wear them.
Soooooooo, what I do if I'm finishing out a long set is I put $10.00 in and play Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. on and laugh at the complaints and finish my games and put in my ear plugs or leave knowing I did something in a small way to pay back all those vibrating bass drums at the stop signs, the mf's and *itches and kills on the records being played later in the Room. But, would you believe it? Some of those kids don't appreciate it. What can you do?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of the places I frequented in NY had juke boxes. Whatever music was played was always at low volume, no matter what kind of music it was. I cringe when I go into a pool room that has a juke box. Last time I was in the local, I noticed they had one. Another reason I no longer go there. If you can not notice the music, more power to you, it's very hard for me to ignore it, just like it's hard for me to get into the game without playing seriously.

Last edited:

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Pete said:
My home room has a great online jucbox. The kids just love to play that new angry hip hop poop drop music.

I need some wire cutters.

Pete

I thought music did not effect my play until the night I heard the above referenced angry hip hop poop drop mucic.

I don't mind rap (or any kind of music for that matter) there are good songs for every type.

But the night someone put on some C-rap that was off beat, off tune, political, racial, sexual, anry, wife hating, girl hating, ho-fing, cracker hating, sheeeit....I could not take it after about the 3rd song....and it went on for like 20 songs straight.....crap after crap after crap.

All I could think is...."Someone actually got paid $$ for this crap"

I mean really.....How is it that certain people hate crackers so much??? .....(just put some cheese on it and it aint that bad) :wink:

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'd much rather hear music playing. classic rock to be specific. however sometimes a song comes on that gets me too pumped up. for example: eric clapton/its in the way that you use it or eminem/lose yourself. then i stop taking my time because i just want to destroy the balls and my game goes down the toilet for the next five/ten minutes.

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are You Listening Ray?

Firecracker said:
So true....

Though this weekend at the OB stop, someone decided to play a medley of movie thing songs from Star Wars to the Godfather...that was pretty bad too.

Music really affects my play, so I allot spending money for the jukebox if one is offered at the tournament locale. If I hear music that I am used to hearing, I tend to focus on the music and let my subconcious take over my pool game. If "bad" music is playing, I unfortunately let it distract me.

Probably should have told Ray prior to your AZ King (Queen) of Texas match. :D

Fortunatley, I don't hear the music. I hear "noise" but I focus on the game to the point that it matters not what's on.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
I don't hear music when I'm playing unless I really like the song and then I start singing inside my head. Otherwise, I don't notice. Sometimes someone will say, "I really like this song" and I'm like, "there's music on?"

I would say music I like does give me a little skip in my step, but music I don't like doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, music TOO loud, no matter if I like the song or not, REALLY bothers me.

:)

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me there is nothing that gets me going like some old ac/dc(bon scott years) or led zeppelin, even old van halen. just something to make my blood flow really seems to make me play better. i keep thinking im gonna outgrow this kind of music and im so thankful that i haven,t yet lol( and im 41)

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
depends on the music. I listen to rap and country. both are equally hated by people who dont listen to them. So my music bothers alot of people. But i hate rock and alternative and I cant play when its at 2000 decibals and i cant understand a word of it. I can play in anthying as long as it aint too loud.

Sev

I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Silver Member
A really good tune while I am playing seems to free my mind from over thinking and my game tends to flow far more smoothly.

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
white noise

I prefer whatever type of music is playing to be loud enough to drown out the conversations going on around the tables - how many friends, team mates or spectators do you know that can sit and watch without commenting ??:(

I want to be able to ignore the rack break on the table right next to me when I am down and focused on a shot - I don't want to be startled by that sound just when I am pulling the trigger and the jump up on my shot - I am quite capable of messing up my shot without any added assistance, thank you very much :eek:

I want the music to be "white noise" so I can ignore everyone and everything going on around me.