Silver Member
Why is it you never drop 1/16" or 1/8" cutters but you always drop .005 and
.010 cutters and they break every time.

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it you never drop 1/16" or 1/8" cutters but you always drop .005 and
.010 cutters and they break every time.

Pete, I know what you mean. You would think that the heavy end would hit the floor or table first. I think I would rather just burn a $10 bill as it takes longer to loose. Now as a fix to that, I have an atc on my spindle that is air powered. They come out of the collet supper easy and you don't need a wrench. This is where I used to drop them.

good luck, Jim.

kiinstructor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Put a Cloth under the bit when I remove it from the spindle. Broke to many hitting the table. My problem is that I get careless sometimes when I set the cutter down to the surface and then decide to move it a bit before the program starts and I break the bit. Drags a little across the wood and thats it. I have sone it about half a dozen times usually at the end of the day when the brain decides it had enought. Hey what ten buch anyway LOL.

Happiness
Mark

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you guys find .005 and .010 cutters for just 10.00?

Dick

Sorry Dick, you are correct. I just haven't been playing with any that small yet. I have broke plenty of the slightly larger bits that cost around $10. I would have to hold my breath on a small .010 or .005 bit as any wind would most likely break em.

JIm.

RBC

Deceased
Sorry Dick, you are correct. I just haven't been playing with any that small yet. I have broke plenty of the slightly larger bits that cost around $10. I would have to hold my breath on a small .010 or .005 bit as any wind would most likely break em.

JIm.

Jim, With your spindle you should be using the smallest cutters you can find!

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim, With your spindle you should be using the smallest cutters you can find!

Hey, I don't talk about the size of your spindle. LOL. You are correct. If my customers from my real job would just stop calling I could get some real work done including inlays with smaller bits.

Jim.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
When I got my CNC machine about 15 years ago, I bought some real turquoise and had my ceramic tile buddy cut it into slabs on his wet saw. I tried cutting diamonds with a 1/16" cutter which broke immediately. Tried fooling with feedrates and such to get the inlays cut. I ended up re-camming the program to use a 1/8" cutter, which to my surprise didn't fare any better. I don't remember what happened to that cue, but I had more in the end mills I cut the 4 inlays with than I sold the cue for! I gave the rest of that turquoise away! I figured out why all the cuemakers use the recon stones. The turquoise has streaks of quartz which is almost as hard as diamonds which you just won't cut with carbide endmills.