Average pro break speed...

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break speed

I can't remember where but I had 18 on my mind for SVB as well.....

I read it somewhere.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've often seen it mention that svb 10b break is @23mph.

I generally break 18-19mph according to my app and for sure shane is using 3+mph than what I do. No way its under 20.

Most pros take a little off on the 9b.

Also you get a ton more ball movement
on Simonis 860hr vs whatever old worn-out
cloth that is at the pool halls.

Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most pros take a little off on the 9b

8-ball is the only game I give it all I got.
10-ball little less than 8.
9-ball even less than 10.
Matter of fact I often just break with my playing cue in 9-ball and I play with a G2 hard.
Works so fine that it's been a really long time since I didn't get a wing ball in corner pocket.

If you want to measure what pros are doing make it the 8-ball break and ideally on a 8 or 9 footer.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The info that I have indicates the the average is at 23 mph.

That makes some at 18-22.
Others at 24-28

randyg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The info that I have indicates the the average is at 23 mph.

That makes some at 18-22.
Others at 24-28

randyg

Yep, the trouble with using averages as stats is kinda like the old joke....
..."A man drowned in a lake where the average depth was two feet."

Averages just don't tell the whole story...sometimes conditions make you change your
approach.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really depends on what game they are playing.
If you are playing 9 ball with a magic rack, 16 to 17 is plenty. All you want to do is make the wing ball and get shape on the 1 in the corner.
If you are playing 10 ball or 8 ball, you have to hit it harder, this is where you will see break speeds in the 25 range.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At The Super Billiards Expo there was a table set up with one of the testers, 3 shots for $5.00 winner each hour won $100.00. Most of the guys were in the 16-17 range, even guys with a really big movement that looked like they would have made 30. The winners, while I was there, were 26 -27.8.

No I didn't lol. With my back, I have switched to Corey's style . I wasn't about to stand up in front of the crowd and clock my arm only 8 or nine.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All that being said, years later, does that still hold true? With the widespread use of racking templates at almost all major events and an increasing number of open and amature events, is it even still necessary?

Even before the rack templates actually, if you think about it, breaking should've never been about speed.
It should've been about reproducability and a nice spread of the balls. No point in balls flying around off 3 cushions (except for that 3 balls kitchen rule) and spread over the whole table. Whole table means a lot of movement needed.

Park the CB somewhere in the middle of the table, sink one ball into the middle pocket(s) and have the other balls spread nicely and loosely on 1/2 of the table.
Done!

Speed break must be some relict of the (american) past, where bigger/faster/higher was considered better.

Cheers,
M

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Yep, the trouble with using averages as stats is kinda like the old joke....
..."A man drowned in a lake where the average depth was two feet."

Averages just don't tell the whole story...sometimes conditions make you change your
approach.

And it is said that the average pun is laughed at for only 0.02 seconds, but for yours and mine, it is much longer than that.

;)

Jeff Livingston

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arguably I think the break is far too hard.
But I will also gladly agree that he gets an additional ball here and there off 2 cushions.

In contrast look at that one as an inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TMpOxIMs1w

Currently I also need to work on my break, so cheers to you :thumbup:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I used the break speed app on SVB several years ago, his 10 ball break was about 21-22. I think he hits them a bit harder now, around 23-24, maybe 25 occasionally. Just FYI.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums