Design Copy

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I guess my cue designs have arrived. One of my original designs knocked off by a cheep decal cue.
23080.jpeg

23079.jpeg

23093.jpeg

23092.jpeg

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Bet some Chinese businessman took photos, or downloaded photos of one of the real deals Cues, sent it overseas to be copied, yes it sure look like your Cue.

https://www.pooldawg.com/fury-fugc04-pool-cue

I wonder if their is a way to copyright a design, but mostly a way to stop this THIEFT of what we call intellectual property?

This is what President Trump is trying to stop.

JC

Coos Cues
Bet some Chinese businessman took photos, or downloaded photos of one of the real deals Cues, sent it overseas to be copied, yes it sure look like your Cue.

https://www.pooldawg.com/fury-fugc04-pool-cue

I wonder if their is a way to copyright a design, but mostly a way to stop this THIEFT of what we call intellectual property?

This is what President Trump is trying to stop.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Pete's cues will retain their beauty and value independent of copies.

The person who would buy a cue like that has likely never heard of Tonkin. They just know a good look when they see it. Some people have iron pyrite jewelry.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read the post only looking at the pictures

those decal cues are beautiful

I can not help but admiretheir taste in cues,I suppose you
should feel flattered

I have heard from some of te very finest cuemakers that your work
is the best,and you should feel even more flattered by those compliments

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hate it when they come into my expo booth witth those super big lens cameras taking pictures. Sad thing is they probably sell the design to the cue manufacturer like it is their original design. Someone did this to me on a logo design once.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The Chinese, and their fellow countrymen in Asia are great at making Counterfits. Good reason to support American Made Products when possible.

EBay & Amazon are (2) of the places that have no problem selling knock off, or Counterfits. You report seller, they creat a new aka, and are at it again.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well blame a American base company who own the "Players" Brand.

https://www.cueandcase.com/billiard-cues/twopiececues

But also back to the root problem is very weak copyright, trade mark, patient laws.

Disney, Honda, NFL, NBA, NHL, WWE, AEW, etc., and other big companies who have the bucks to defend & protect there intellectual property.

Most Cuemaker do not have a spare 100 K for a legal retainer to fight for their rights. They are like the indigent criminal who gets a rookie lawyer for defense, not the OJ Dream Team.

Both E-bay, and Amazon sell Counterfit, Knockoffs, and FAKE items from sellers, off shore, if caught they get booted,and return now know as a new handle, or aka.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd contact Fury and anyone who sells them, maybe some folks will stop carrying them, cause that is pretty shitty thing to do, just sad.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the design is not trademark or patent protected they're not doing ONE thing wrong. Cuemakers have been copying/imitating other's work forever. Now, if they try to sell a cue with someone else's name/logo that's a different deal altogether.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If the design is not trademark or patent protected they're not doing ONE thing wrong. Cuemakers have been copying/imitating other's work forever. Now, if they try to sell a cue with someone else's name/logo that's a different deal altogether.

Even with a Trademark, Copyright, or Patient, you need the funds to take the crook to court for what you think is wrong. Those protection are worth ZERO if you have no money to defend em. Lawyer who do those cases want big retainers.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

Your thought IS the problem with many things in many areas of industry AND a complete joke.

The fact that you said "If the design is not trademark or patent protected they're not doing ONE thing wrong" is not only wrong on it's face but what manufacturing and for just one more of many, the music industry, have been fighting for decades and is just another of countess and very reckless attempts at justifying those that "CAN'T", because they are talentless AND/OR are just too TOO LAZY to, create their own living without sucking off the "tit" of another....

Pete, you don't need to feel you've "arrived"... That happend a long time ago and you've been arriving more and more ever since.

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Although there is little to nothing you can do without spending big legal bucks, it really sucks.
After you spent the hundreds of hours designing, programming, layout, etc.
I guess there is always the backhanded compliment to be had.

Will

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While the customer groups for Fury and Tonkin are clearly different, if Fury is selling cues based on Pete’s designs, he deserves a cut.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
I went to buy one of the knock offs for $187 but they're sold out! :p

Apparently super popular with people who want something nice-looking but
do not find it remotely feasible to drop $1,000+ plus on a pool cue. Believe it
or not, and this message is for high-end cue makers and collectors alike, there
is a huge industry of people out there that actually play with these sticks and
beat the hell out of them and do not really care about what they're worth. But
they want them to look nice. Which brings me to the design.

There are patents and copyright laws in place to protect your artistry for literally
centuries now. Either spend the money up to prevent such a thing, if you care
that much, or just keep making cool stuff worthy of replication. Your choice.

As far as the skins clown complaining about music, well some things just
never change!!! Has this idiot ever heard a song remade by another group?
Or a melody repurposed in a completely different song? How does that happen?
Very simple. The companies that actually release the media in a ripoff-able format
have their asses covered by copyright. So when someone wants to re-use the music,
which is a wonderful thing to do, there are permissions and royalties involved.
What a concept! What a thought!

Regardless of that, it is hilarious to compare this ripoff with the music industry because
so many of the newest and most profitable songs could hardly be defined as "music"
like this incredible example from Taylor Swift that showed up on my FB feed:

We are never ever, ever getting back together
You go talk to your friends
talk to my friends, talk to me
But we are never ever, ever, ever
getting back together

Like, ever​

I am sure people are lining up to steal that!! :confused:

As it stands, the shameless people who ripped off Pete's design and are trying to
make money off his hard work, they are literally saying "what are you going to do
about it?" and this is a sad answer. I don't condone their behavior, but this kind
of response is not much better.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I went to buy one of the knock offs for $187 but they're sold out! :p

Apparently super popular with people who want something nice-looking but
do not find it remotely feasible to drop $1,000+ plus on a pool cue. Believe it
or not, and this message is for high-end cue makers and collectors alike, there
is a huge industry of people out there that actually play with these sticks and
beat the hell out of them and do not really care about what they're worth. But
they want them to look nice. Which brings me to the design.

There are patents and copyright laws in place to protect your artistry for literally
centuries now. Either spend the money up to prevent such a thing, if you care
that much, or just keep making cool stuff worthy of replication. Your choice.

As far as the skins clown complaining about music, well some things just
never change!!! Has this idiot ever heard a song remade by another group?
Or a melody repurposed in a completely different song? How does that happen?
Very simple. The companies that actually release the media in a ripoff-able format
have their asses covered by copyright. So when someone wants to re-use the music,
which is a wonderful thing to do, there are permissions and royalties involved.
What a concept! What a thought!

Regardless of that, it is hilarious to compare this ripoff with the music industry because
so many of the newest and most profitable songs could hardly be defined as "music"
like this incredible example from Taylor Swift that showed up on my FB feed:

You go talk to your friends
talk to my friends, talk to me
But we are never ever, ever, ever
getting back together

Like, ever​

I am sure people are lining up to steal that!! :confused:

As it stands, the shameless people who ripped off Pete's design and are trying to
make money off his hard work, they are literally saying "what are you going to do
about it?" and this is a sad answer. I don't condone their behavior, but this kind
of response is not much better.

Well, at least we now know you're not a musician......