I miscue on this shot a LOT, for years.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/Mgx4xPgwckc

12 sec video.

I don't know why, but this exact shot I have been miscuing on for years. Just a very tiny cut angle, almost completely full. Where I'm trying to hold the CB as much as possible with a drag draw stroke. Doesn't matter if its a right or left cut, both are common miscues for me on this shot. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it might be a sighting error where my brain thinks its a full shot, and my arm moves sideways mid stroke. But I checked the video frame by frame and it seems my stroke is as decent as on any other shot. This is definitely a trouble shot for me. Any ideas?

*Edit, not trying to hold the CB as in a drag draw stop shot, but rather draw it back about 1 foot.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

12 sec video.

I don't know why, but this exact shot I have been miscuing on for years. Just a very tiny cut angle, almost completely full. Where I'm trying to hold the CB as much as possible with a drag draw stroke. Doesn't matter if its a right or left cut, both are common miscues for me on this shot. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it might be a sighting error where my brain thinks its a full shot, and my arm moves sideways mid stroke. But I checked the video frame by frame and it seems my stroke is as decent as on any other shot. This is definitely a trouble shot for me. Any ideas?
Trying to check your stroke for a soft draw shot might cause you to rise up and the tip to dip...?

You could try looking at the CB last.

pj
chgo

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it may be camera angle but setup looks left of center. A small amount off ctr when going low or high makes a huge diff.

I would shorten my bridge and aim a little higher with a fuller stroke. Like a stun draw.

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look very closely at your cue movement in the video. You're steering your right hand toward your body in your practice strokes causing your tip to go offline which is exaggerated when you finally stroke through.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming your stroke is straight, your PSR is not setting your vison center over the shotline.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with shortening your bridge. I miscue on soft/stick shots like this too. Trying to hit low but soft, to make the drag shot work, makes my brain itch. Shortening the bridge makes me shorten my backstroke so I accelerate better. It also keeps the tip from dipping as my grip hand passes perpendicular.

My regular playing partner tells me my tip is too hard. I completely disagree. Tip hardness is not my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

12 sec video.

Is there any pattern involved or are you just demonstrating the effect? I see left english on the shot. This isn't required to kill the ball and probably causes the miscue.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a guess but it looks like deceleration was your problem there. If you stop following through, especially on a long stroke, the tip is gonna dip down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

12 sec video.

Put your knee on the table. I actually just put my bent knee on it, no shin or thigh contact at all (so it actually requires a bit of stretching). Ultimately, I think your left hip just isn't far enough over. Do realize at that angle your body is twisted to the right, and your head is twisted to the left. You might think you're square, but you're not.

I'd wager that a lot of times that you've shot this shot, you've felt the table on your left leg or have became aware of the proximity between the 2? If that's the case, yeh put your knee up. If not, I'm clueless.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap the tip and chalk it especially the edge. I put the butt of the cue on the floor and spin the cue to chalk the edge.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... But I checked the video frame by frame and it seems my stroke is as decent as on any other shot. ...
Since you are probably hitting the cue ball too low, you will need a side view to see how low and whether the is tip dip.

As others have mentioned, it looks to me like you are playing with left side.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s a shot you’re uncomfortable with and so your mechanics break down a bit. You’re not staying still. Watch your shoulder in this clip I edited. Too much body english.

https://youtu.be/CGt_CC-MAQs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
cant tell much from the video, but it looks like your trying to throw in the object ball and draw back for the 5? your stroke is off, ide say draw back and take a tougher shot on th 5.
or shoot that shot 248 times in a row, then you wont miss it again. drills with purpose buddy, boring but necessary

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

12 sec video.

I don't know if you're using left English or not, but the way I hit these is with soft low left. That way I'm able to aim fuller on the OB and throw it in the hole, the thicker contact helps kill the CB momentum. It holds the cue ball very well. I do it so often it's second nature.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

12 sec video.

Almost looked like a "steer-stroke" to me. Kinda looked like you were slowing down thru impact.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Almost looked like a "steer-stroke" to me. Kinda looked like you were slowing down thru impact.

Agreed.

Remove the cueball and replace with a stripe ball, with the stripe parallel with the table. Use the stripe as an actual aim point. Also, shorten your bridge until you're actually hitting where you're aiming.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed.

Remove the cueball and replace with a stripe ball, with the stripe parallel with the table. Use the stripe as an actual aim point. Also, shorten your bridge until you're actually hitting where you're aiming.

Yeah, shorten your bridge - it's WAY too long

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will try a few of them.

To answer some questions:

I was playing the 10 ball ghost in this video, so its from a real situation. I was trying to draw back about 1 foot for the 5 ball.

I don't think its the table in the way of my stance, as I've miscued on this same type of shot many times over the years, regardless of where on the table the shot is. The common thing is always its about a half ball to one ball from perfectly straight in, and I'm trying a soft draw shot.

If I'm trying a stop shot, (with outside spin), I think I have no problem with it on this angle. Its only when I'm trying to draw it back a little from like 1 foot to 2 feet with this angle.

I don't miscue on any other shots (with regularity). Only this very slight angle.

I can't remember if I was putting outside draw, or only draw, on this particular shot in the video. I think only draw, as I was trying to maximize the draw distance with a soft stroke.

Maybe it is the chalk.... The shot is from the very beginning of this video ghost attempt starting at 16 seconds time stamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNBxTGbHsg&feature=youtu.be
After I missed it, I set it up twice more, and miscued twice again (3 miscues in a row). Then, I chalked my stick, and made it 7 times in a row. The way the CB landed when I hit the 9 ball in these 7 makes was the exact position I was going for in the game.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you are probably hitting the cue ball too low, you will need a side view to see how low and whether the is tip dip.

As others have mentioned, it looks to me like you are playing with left side.

The cue ball clearly jumped. Also watch the cue relative to the second diamond on his practice strokes and then on the final stroke. It appears he might be putting some unintentional side on the ball.

Still if he is tapping the tip and chalking properly she shouldn't be miscuing all the time. Efren is a great example of someone who uses extreme English and I don't remember seeing him miscue. He constantly is chalking the tip.