Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Is there a God?
View Poll Results: Is there aGod / Gods?
BELIEVER: Yes I believe there is/are God or Gods. 70 42.68%
ATHEIST: NO I do not believe in God/Gods 40 24.39%
AGNOSTIC: I do not know as I lack evidence one way or the other. 45 27.44%
None of your damn business. 9 5.49%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Page 77 of 79 « First 2767757677 7879

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.54 average.
Old
  (#1141)
dan_boersma
AzB Silver Member
dan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond reputedan_boersma has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
But to invoke Albert again:

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."
and here is what Einstein actually thought about god, as opposed to what he thought about people who misused him in advancing their views:

Einstein expressed his skepticism regarding an anthropomorphic deity, often describing it as "naïve" and "childlike". He stated, "It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems."[6]
On 22 March 1954 Einstein received a letter from Joseph Dispentiere, an Italian immigrant who had worked as an experimental machinist in New Jersey. Dispentiere had declared himself an atheist and was disappointed by a news report which had cast Einstein as conventionally religious. Einstein replied on 24 March 1954:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it

Old
  (#1142)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

12-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
You take all this way too seriously. Chill out and you'll be more likely to get responses from me.
Yet another dodge.

Quote:
Isn't "libertarian" the kind that rejects determinism? Where did I say that?
Do I have to bring up this post again, where you said the will is a "non-deterministic phenomenon that emerges from highly complex deterministic systems"? Doesn't asserting that a "non-deterministic" thing that exists means that you reject determinism?

Old
  (#1143)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_boersma View Post
and here is what Einstein actually thought about god, as opposed to what he thought about people who misused him in advancing their views:

Einstein expressed his skepticism regarding an anthropomorphic deity, often describing it as "naïve" and "childlike". He stated, "It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems."[6]
On 22 March 1954 Einstein received a letter from Joseph Dispentiere, an Italian immigrant who had worked as an experimental machinist in New Jersey. Dispentiere had declared himself an atheist and was disappointed by a news report which had cast Einstein as conventionally religious. Einstein replied on 24 March 1954:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it
That is one of many from Einstein on the topic, in none of which does he denounce the existence of a god, but there are many where his belief in a Creator is quite explicit.

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

"Whether or not its a lie is irrelevant."
-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1144)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp View Post
...said the will is a "non-deterministic phenomenon that emerges from highly complex deterministic systems"? Doesn't asserting that a "non-deterministic" thing that exists means that you reject determinism?
If I suggested that will emerges from deterministic systems, shouldn't that be a hint to you that I don't "reject determinism"?

Make sense or talk to yourself.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#1145)
8balljohn
AzB Silver Member
8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2012, 12:11 PM

I'll try to answer this using as much common sense as possible. Okay, here it goes.. I'm NOT SURE if there's a God because nobody's ever seen him/her/it. To say there's a God with 100% certainty is ignorant. At the same time, to say there isn't a God is ignorant as well. Best answer: Not Sure.

Old
  (#1146)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8balljohn View Post
I'll try to answer this using as much common sense as possible. Okay, here it goes.. I'm NOT SURE if there's a God because nobody's ever seen him/her/it. To say there's a God with 100% certainty is ignorant. At the same time, to say there isn't a God is ignorant as well. Best answer: Not Sure.
Do you believe you have the true free will to make your own decisions?

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1147)
8balljohn
AzB Silver Member
8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute8balljohn has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Do you believe in God?

Old
  (#1148)
8balljohn
AzB Silver Member

12-28-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Do you believe there is a God? I'll answer you when you answer me. You're probably much older & wiser than me, which is why I ask. Take care.

Old
  (#1149)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

12-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Do you believe in God?
If you would ave read the thread, the answer is obvious.

Since you chose not to, yes I do.

Now ... what was your answer?

Or, are you going to accuse me of deflection again because I answer questions in a discussion ... while you seem to be not so interested in it?

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1150)
8balljohn
AzB Silver Member

12-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
If you would ave read the thread, the answer is obvious.

Since you chose not to, yes I do.

Now ... what was your answer?

Or, are you going to accuse me of deflection again because I answer questions in a discussion ... while you seem to be not so interested in it?
I'm not on here all day, so, sorry for not reading every post.

By you believing in God tells me a lot. 1) You have faith. Congrats. 2) You believe in something that isn't proven, so you might be the type who doesn't care for facts.

I'll answer since I promised. Yes, I am free to make my own decisions. Can I do/say whatever I want, anywhere I want? Yes I can. But it might come with a price. So, maybe I can't "truly" make my own decisions.

Old
  (#1151)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

12-28-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not on here all day, so, sorry for not reading every post.

By you believing in God tells me a lot. 1) You have faith. Congrats. 2) You believe in something that isn't proven, so you might be the type who doesn't care for facts.

I'll answer since I promised. Yes, I am free to make my own decisions. Can I do/say whatever I want, anywhere I want? Yes I can. But it might come with a price. So, maybe I can't "truly" make my own decisions.
If you believe in an atheist universe then every event in all of history ... including your perceived free will ... are simply the universe following the only possible path that it could. In this instance, you and I would be nothing more than sacks of atoms following a predetermined path.

OTOH ... if you believe that you have true free will, then you are acknowledging a belief in an agent outside the equation that has granted you an exemption from the universal laws of nature.

All the greats minds in physics believe that one of those two possible states of existence are the only real possibilities.

Atheists who are honest accept that they are nothing more than a sack of atoms following an unchangeable path.

You and I don't believe this is the case.

Your answer demonstrates that you either acknowledge the existence of a supernatural entity granting you the ability for true free will ... or you really don't understand the issue.

That you possess true free will, as do I, is prima facie evidence that a god exists.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1152)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

12-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
If I suggested that will emerges from deterministic systems, shouldn't that be a hint to you that I don't "reject determinism"?
But if you suggested that will is a "non-deterministic phenomenon", then shouldn't that be a hint that you "reject determinism"? Let me yet again repeat what you wrote...

"...that will (mind, if you prefer), is a non-deterministic phenomenon that emerges from highly complex deterministic systems."

A "non-determinist phenomenon" emerges from deterministic systems? I've posted repeatedly (here, here, here, and here) why this is completely non-nonsensical.

Quote:
Make sense or talk to yourself.
Lol. You're telling me to make sense?

Last edited by jsp; 12-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old
  (#1153)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I've posted repeatedly (here, here, here, and here) why this is completely non-nonsensical.
No, you haven't said repeatedly why that's nonsensical. You've said ad nauseum that it's nonsensical. You don't seem to know the difference, and I'm bored with pointing it out to you.

Quote:
I'm not that optimistic.

pj
chgo

seeing
Old
  (#1154)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

seeing - 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Sight is but one of our senses.
Cannot see oxygen yet you breath it .
Cannot see super heated steam yet it lights up most of the world.
You cannot see heat but You feel it.

It was said that Enoch walked with God .

There is 333 MESSIANIC PROPHECIES which have came true. This is part of what I base my faith on.

The book of Daniel gives the day that Jerusalem is destroyed by rome over 470 years in advance .

It was said That the temple would be destroyed and not one stone would be left on top another. and in 69 or 70 Ad rome sacked Jerusalem and a angry soldier torched the temple melting all the gold between the 20t to 30 ton stones that the temple was made out of.
Rome took every stone off all the other stones to get to the gold. Not One was left on top another.

Research
When certain bibles were writen . the dead ringer is time period 250 BC when the LXX was writen to when the new testament was writen 150 to 250 ad, Everone says the bible was writen where the past and prensent matches each other. A easy statment to make if you are not a believer.
but then the dead sea scrolls were found .

The book of daniel was hammered out on a cooper sheet and in perfect condition.
I compaired several versions of the bible to the dead sea scrolls and did the translation myself .

If you believe that the good things in life dont come cheap .
Then either does faith.

The facts are there but It takes time to study them.

MMike

MMike

Old
  (#1155)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

12-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
But if you suggested that will is a "non-deterministic phenomenon", then shouldn't that be a hint that you "reject determinism"? Let me yet again repeat what you wrote...

"...that will (mind, if you prefer), is a non-deterministic phenomenon that emerges from highly complex deterministic systems."

A "non-determinist phenomenon" emerges from deterministic systems? I've posted repeatedly (here, here, here, and here) why this is completely non-nonsensical.

People who practice doublethink do not realize that non determinism cannot arise from determinism becuse that initself would e determinism.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Page 77 of 79 « First 2767757677 7879

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: