Old
  (#31)
Thunder Thighs
learning daily...

Thunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2950

02-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Name:  emoticon-watching-a-movie.png
Views: 233
Size:  110.2 KB

This is good stuff

Old
  (#32)
WilleeCue
The Barefoot Cuemaker
WilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

02-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
shaft TUNING? isn't THAT WHERE THE MAKER DRILLS ABOVE THE INSERT AND ADDS WEIGHT VIA SET SCREWS TO GET BOTH SHAFTS TO 4 OZ?
PRED, I guess that is about as close to actually tuning a shaft as you can get.
You can measure the weight, make an adjustment and then measure the result.
Yep ... that is one thing you can really "tune".
But ... is that what the all the tuning hype is about?

If I were to do what I was willing to call "tuning" I would ask the player if his cue hit to stiff or loose.
If he said to stiff, I would re-taper the profile a bit to a looser one and return the cue asking the player to hit with it for a few days.
After time passed the process would repeat.
Hopefully he will say "just right" before he says "oops ... to loose" ... ...

As you can see this "tuning" requires interaction and feedback from the player over a period of time.

Last edited by WilleeCue; 02-26-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Old
  (#33)
scdiveteam
Rick Geschrey
scdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-26-2019, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=Kim Bye;6342130]So based on your understanding, where should a shaft bend?

Hi Kim,

In the bridge area.

The exact point is subjective and will determine the exact harmonic frequency of a shaft relative to a pool ball and CM's specific design configuration, ie " The Hit ".

There is a reason that a 13 mm or slightly larger maple shaft is optimum for a repeatable measured stroke IMO. One can question this statement but I would respectfully disagree.

Billiard balls are larger and heavier for example and they require a stronger climb and flex point with an all together different overall shaft design.

Ray Schuler spent more of his time (years) and energy studying and experimenting with this exact subject more than most people in our trade understand.

I lived one mile from his shop and was lucky enough to be mentored by Ray's best friend and pantograph artist Stew Mortsen. Today Stew is 95 years young, is living and driving independantly and is still sharp as a tac. God has blessed him with great genes.

Rick

"Handcrafted Cues using Procedural Process Control"

Cell 847 641-0276

Last edited by scdiveteam; 02-26-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Old
  (#34)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

02-27-2019, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=scdiveteam;6342768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
So based on your understanding, where should a shaft bend?

Hi Kim,

In the bridge area.

The exact point is subjective and will determine the exact harmonic frequency of a shaft relative to a pool ball and CM's specific design configuration, ie " The Hit ".

There is a reason that a 13 mm or slightly larger maple shaft is optimum for a repeatable measured stroke IMO. One can question this statement but I would respectfully disagree.

Billiard balls are larger and heavier for example and they require a stronger climb and flex point with an all together different overall shaft design.

Ray Schuler spent more of his time (years) and energy studying and experimenting with this exact subject more than most people in our trade understand.

I lived one mile from his shop and was lucky enough to be mentored by Ray's best friend and pantograph artist Stew Mortsen. Today Stew is 95 years young, is living and driving independantly and is still sharp as a tac. God has blessed him with great genes.

Rick
No such thing as optimal ( btw, the word is optimal, not optimum ) diameter for a "repeatable measured" stroke .
Years ago, they took a survey of professional pool players' shafts, they averaged less than 13 mm.
3-Cushion players do not play with 13 mm tips for sure .
Most play with tips a lot smaller than that.

Ray Schuler was a great cue maker but his shaft taper was not a popular choice for pool players . And that continues today. Z3 shafts might be the exception among these "performance" shafts .
The most popular taper these days is the " pro-taper " . Meaning the taper is about 1.25 mm or less to the middle of the shaft .
Anything about 2mm or more of taper to the middle is considered "stiff" taper these days. And it's not the popular choice.

And I would venture to say, most players these days prefer compound linear tapers on their shafts. 3 to 5 linear angles . In cue making , you are really just concerned about the 3 angles. The other two are just there to meet where the stroking area ends and where the joint taper matches closely the forearm's.
Learned that eons ago from writing taper codes manually.

Old
  (#35)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User
BarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Just past the big Saguaro on the eastern end of the Sonoran Desert right next to the mountain by the dry river bed.

02-27-2019, 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=scdiveteam;6342768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
So based on your understanding, where should a shaft bend?

Hi Kim,

In the bridge area.

Rick
What? More BS as usual. You really don't have a clue and must think Kim is an idiot and he is the only one reading this crap?
How about answering the questions asked to some of your other typical BS posts?

Just because you lived close to Ray doesn't mean squat. You should have listened better cause you obviously didn't learn a bag of beans.

Just more diversionary tactics with your ho hum BS.

Give it up...nobody believes one word of what you post here or anywhere else.

Old
  (#36)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-28-2019, 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=BarenbruggeCues;6343516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiveteam View Post

What? More BS as usual. You really don't have a clue and must think Kim is an idiot and he is the only one reading this crap?
How about answering the questions asked to some of your other typical BS posts?

Just because you lived close to Ray doesn't mean squat. You should have listened better cause you obviously didn't learn a bag of beans.

Just more diversionary tactics with your ho hum BS.

Give it up...nobody believes one word of what you post here or anywhere else.
This seems like some animosity from old times and maybe even other forums has been brought over here. He is just stating his opinions. You are chastising him for not answering your questions, but you also were asked what tuning a cue was by the thread starter. And you let us know you know how and what it is and never said what it is. We all know you are a good cuemaker and you could be a great asset to the forum. But letting us know you know more than most without sharing anything adds nothing to the forum. And venting on Rick every chance you get also adds nothing. I am not a moderator but just trying to be a peace maker. Some wear being banned here on AZ as a badge of honor on other forums. I hope you don't let your animosity toward Rick get you that badge.

Old
  (#37)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

02-28-2019, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=cueman;6343913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarenbruggeCues View Post

This seems like some animosity from old times and maybe even other forums has been brought over here. He is just stating his opinions. You are chastising him for not answering your questions, but you also were asked what tuning a cue was by the thread starter. And you let us know you know how and what it is and never said what it is. We all know you are a good cuemaker and you could be a great asset to the forum. But letting us know you know more than most without sharing anything adds nothing to the forum. And venting on Rick every chance you get also adds nothing. I am not a moderator but just trying to be a peace maker. Some wear being banned here on AZ as a badge of honor on other forums. I hope you don't let your animosity toward Rick get you that badge.
It wasn't an opinion.
He said it was PHYSICS.
Quote:
Hi,

If you hold your shaft on the very end points and bow it, where does the flex point exist along the 29 inches?

If the shaft bends near the center for example, your taper needs to be re engineered.

The linerar shaft dimensions create a climb ratio that is directionally proportional to the harmonic resonance.

If the design of cue ball mass is redesigned significantly, then we would all have to recalculate our shaft design.

This is pure physics not an opinion.

Rick

Old
  (#38)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2019, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=JoeyInCali;6344093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman View Post

It wasn't an opinion.
He said it was PHYSICS.
Yes but in reality even though he was presenting some physics he was also giving opinions on what should be done. Example is some may want their shaft to bend in the middle. But getting really rude is against what this forum stands for.

Old
  (#39)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

03-01-2019, 04:17 AM

[QUOTE=cueman;6343913]
Quote:

I agree with what you are saying, at the same time I can understand the frustration, when some people are creating buzzwords out of thin air, and subsequently myself and all other cuemakers have to deal with debunking and explaining all the crazy stuff poolplayers read online. I have to spend a fair share of my time answering/correcting players ideas on all kinds of stuff, usually that is time I instead could spend actually making cues and money

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#40)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

03-01-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post

btw, the word is optimal, not optimum )
I was a bit confused about that, maybe you could explain it as you seem fairly familiar with the two words and some of the info online is a bit contradictory.

Checked the ol' Merriam-Webster which said, "Some will say that you should enjoy the distinction the two forms provide, and use optimum only as a noun, and use optimal for the adjective. English does have a number of pairs that follow that same pattern: bacterium/bacterial, cerebrum/cerebral, cranium/cranial, imperium/imperial. (Yes, we know we're getting into some obscure territory with that last one.) But English has also resisted such distinctions in less technical words: no one says individuum anymore; individual functions as both noun and adjective."

Is it set in stone or not, love to hear your opinion. Thanks

Old
  (#41)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User
BarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Just past the big Saguaro on the eastern end of the Sonoran Desert right next to the mountain by the dry river bed.

03-01-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman View Post

Animosity from old times and other forums? How we are so forgetful.

Why would I have any animosity towards someone who used my last name as a prop and referenced me to likes of Adolf Hitler not so long ago?
I hope you don't have any Jewish friends that read this forum.

As far as myself answering the questions.....you need to go back and read what I wrote again so you can understand it. There were some who were debunking the shaft tuning theory and all I did was state that I know of some who do and have tuned shafts on machines/fixtures that they may have built themselves. I never said I was doing so. So I no, I can't comment on a procedure that I don't know about.
So just because I don't add content on a subject that I may have knowledge about makes me someone who's not wanted on this forum? WTF
As far as someone being banned....I certainly don't believe it should be me for trying to help eliminate some of the BS that goes on in this forum on occasion.

Opinion or fact...that is the question. You want allow someone who gives an opinion and states it as fact free range but you want to ban me for trying to help others sift thru the BS that is presented?
Thanks for having my back Chris. Now I know where I stand with you also.

Old
  (#42)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

03-01-2019, 11:27 AM

So far a number of people have stated or alluded that they know what tuning is.
The original Q has led to more noise than clarity & no obvious consensus.

I'm a little slow, but have not yet seen a description that sounds definitive.

Can anyone clarify the definition of tuning for the confused among us?

smt

Old
  (#43)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

03-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssonerai View Post
So far a number of people have stated or alluded that they know what tuning is.
The original Q has led to more noise than clarity & no obvious consensus.

I'm a little slow, but have not yet seen a description that sounds definitive.

Can anyone clarify the definition of tuning for the confused among us?

smt
That's kinda the point. "tuning" a shaft is a BS word. If your changing the taper or modifying the diameter of the shaft, well that's what you are doing, you are retaperering a shaft. If your making a shaft from scratch based on your own ideas on what works best, well then you are making a shaft. If you want to call any of that "tuning" your just using a unnecessary word and in general your just confusing people...

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#44)
joelpope
AzB Gold Member
joelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond reputejoelpope has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-01-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleeCue View Post
I see some references to a "Tuned Shaft".
What is the process of tuning a shaft and why is it desirable?
Sounds like it could be a spell check error. I have heard people use the term "turn the shaft" when they are talking about changing the taper on a lathe.

Playing cues: Searing, Nitti, Southwest, & Dayton
Break cues: Searing & Predator
Jump cues: my own design and build
Cases: Justis & JB

Last 4 Ever Tip Tool web site
http://last4ever.com

Old
  (#45)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

03-03-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Animosity from old times and other forums? How we are so forgetful.

Why would I have any animosity towards someone who used my last name as a prop and referenced me to likes of Adolf Hitler not so long ago?
I hope you don't have any Jewish friends that read this forum.

As far as myself answering the questions.....you need to go back and read what I wrote again so you can understand it. There were some who were debunking the shaft tuning theory and all I did was state that I know of some who do and have tuned shafts on machines/fixtures that they may have built themselves. I never said I was doing so. So I no, I can't comment on a procedure that I don't know about.
So just because I don't add content on a subject that I may have knowledge about makes me someone who's not wanted on this forum? WTF
As far as someone being banned....I certainly don't believe it should be me for trying to help eliminate some of the BS that goes on in this forum on occasion.

Opinion or fact...that is the question. You want allow someone who gives an opinion and states it as fact free range but you want to ban me for trying to help others sift thru the BS that is presented?
Thanks for having my back Chris. Now I know where I stand with you also.
I did not say you are not wanted. I am just trying to say rude attacks on people are not wanted no matter past history. If Rick attacks you report it and I am sure calling you Hitler would get him banned or at least the post deleted and a warning issued. But the tone of your post was asking for the same. Just read paragraph number three of this forums rules.

Where you stand with me is someone I have known for decades and I have a lot of respect for your abilities and consider you a genius. And I would hate to lose you here like we lost TW over his animosity with Rick. AZ has no control of what goes on in other forums and we really don't want garbage brought from there and dumped here. Again with your knowledge you could be in the words of our former moderator a hero on here.

Last edited by cueman; 03-03-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: