Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Did Mosconi use his Balabushka at the exhibitions
Page 5 of 5 « First 345

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-25-2020, 12:46 PM

Regarding the rings on the wrap. First of all, I assume we are not simply talking about the A rings just above the wrap. I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that Mosconi added some physical rings onto the surface of the wrap. Again, not really sure if anyone is suggesting that.

In the video clip of that guy's collection that someone posted earlier, there is one cue that has a different color linen that makes a three ring pattern in the wrap. Is that what is being questioned?

Dan White

Old
  (#62)
Pedestrian
AzB Bronze Member
Pedestrian is on a distinguished road

03-25-2020, 01:27 PM

Irving Crane sold Cadillacs in Rochester, NY and almost every day for lunch, he'd go to a very nearby pool hall have a burger and run at least 100.

Last edited by Pedestrian; 03-25-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: word

Old
  (#63)
Pedestrian
AzB Bronze Member
Pedestrian is on a distinguished road

03-25-2020, 01:30 PM

And the 526 ball run was never official as it was not in a tourn. and nobody was counting until a reporter came in and started. He did so at over 200 balls. It was all a guess and then used it as a promotion.

Old
  (#64)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues

ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Those rings may just be reminders of how far up to hold the cue. Who knows. Kinda tough to ask Willie or George. Well, maybe Harriman in full tin-hat mode might be able to.
I believe you are right.
I have a totally original Balabushka with full provenance by P. Tascarella and I am second owner.
The original linen wrap has a black ring marked below the forearm, and one forward of the buttsleeve. The black ring marks are
obviously 50+ years old.
The original owner who purchased the cue lived near George, visited him at his home often and had breakfast together
on Saturday mornings. He said the rings were applied to the linen wrap by George per the owner’s request when the cue was made, to assist him with where he preferred to grab the cue. The black rings were spun on via a lathe.
Possibly just what Willie’s cue has. I have seen this several times.
Will Prout

Last edited by ibuycues; 03-25-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Old
  (#65)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
I'll take the word of people who saw him play but I thought his exhibitions were sponsored by Brunswick. If that's the case it seems like he would play with a Brunswick cue unless they were promoting their tables more than the cues.

Later on I think he toured for a company called Ajay.

One other small contribution to the discussion: Willie abused his cues, at least compared to how many of us treat our cues. Hed bang and rake the balls over and over during his trick shot exhibition. I figure that after all the hundreds of shows he put on he had beaten it down to smooth again, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#66)
HawaiianEye
Banned
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Later on I think he toured for a company called Ajay.

One other small contribution to the discussion: Willie abused his cues, at least compared to how many of us treat our cues. Hed bang and rake the balls over and over during his trick shot exhibition. I figure that after all the hundreds of shows he put on he had beaten it down to smooth again, lol.

Lou Figueroa
I noticed that, too.

Willie had no problem smacking the balls around with the side of his shaft.

Makes me shiver.

I guess some people don't notice the little dents and dings when they stroke, but I can feel every one of them.

Old
  (#67)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I noticed that, too.

Willie had no problem smacking the balls around with the side of his shaft.

Makes me shiver.

I guess some people don't notice the little dents and dings when they stroke, but I can feel every one of them.
I have the same shaft and I also rake the balls. I do not smack the balls around the way he did, admittedly. I think those old, dense shafts could take more of a beating and come out OK. About a year ago I dented my shaft about 4 inches up from the joint. It was a pretty good dent, too. I decided to do nothing about it since it didn't interfere with playing, and I wanted to see what would happen. It fixed itself probably 95% by now. I'm not even sure I could feel where the dent was if I had to now. No water or steam or burnishing. Maybe that is normal for shafts and not just old Bushka shafts. Don't really know.

Dan White

Old
  (#68)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 08:33 AM

shafts got dents and we steamed them or lightly sanded them out. and yes it minutely could make a shaft become noticeably thinner after years.

and sometimes we even just bought a new shaft. just like you buy a new pair of shoes when they wear too much or you want something different.

Page 5 of 5 « First 345

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: