What A Dilemma

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keep eating even if you don't much feel like it. Hydrate. (I've got 10 boxes of assorted teas.) Sleep. Good luck on your test.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not happy posting this thread but these are special circumstances and it'll be good to get off my chest.

I've been doing a great job, l think, of isolating myself plus being careful about what and who comes in my house plus I'm limiting any away from home risks very well, too.

Well about 5 days ago I started getting intermittent chills and they would come on like attacks, staying for anywhere from 15 min to an hour or more. Gradually they've been coming more frequently and since I have autoimmune issues triggered by an awful case of neuro Lyme disease, I was writing off this latest round of symptoms to that.

Last night the chills became severe and my legs went weak and rubbery and added to that, I'm now also getting low grade fevers, not exactly a sore throat but some discomfort there, minor cough, and very infrequent nausea. All of this makes me think could it be Corona. Other than taking in my mail (carefully) I did have one buddy, Russian Paul, stop by just over a week ago with some N95 masks for me. I actually limited our contact to talking out my window with him well over 6 ft away and he left the box of masks on my front porch. At that time I wasn't being as careful and so when he left I brought them inside without disinfecting or washing after, so there's that poss exposure. Not trying to over think things but Paul told me this morning that his wife who is a nurse who rotates between 3 local hospitals cared for a couple corona positive patients during the past week and she is now showing symptoms incl fever. Paul said he is starting to get a sore throat himself, so who knows.

Last night during the overnight, I was feeling awful and it got so bad I came close to calling an ambulance twice, but managed to tough it out because being at an ER is the last place I'd want to be now. Today has been better but still not very good.

Called my doc at the VA this morning, he wants to rule out Corona so he emailed me a script for a test. I went to 2 local hospitals who were doing drive in tests, both ran out of kits. Drove 40 miles to another one and got swabbed.

if I had to bet I'd say no it isn't corona but whatever it is I'm not loving it.

So the dilemma:

There couldn't be a worse time to get sick with anything that requires hospital attention, it really becomes gut check time.

hopefully, I'll manage to avoid any hospital visit, and the test will cooperate, too.

Strange times we're in.

best,
brian kc

Brian, you did the right thing getting tested. It will take 2-3 days to get back the results. In the meantime, drink lots of hot fluids and nothing cold! Gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash and take zinc, lysine and Vitamin C every day if you can get it. Regular over the counter cold meds can help lessen the symptoms. Self quarantine yourself at home. And then GET BETTER! :grin:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Brian,
I will be thinking of you, that the test comes back negative and you start feeling better.
Recover fully and quickly.
As you probably know, drink tons of liquid. Important.
A friend,
Will Prout

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's to hoping it's not the corona.
Take care of yourself. No need to worry
about what is out of your control.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not happy posting this thread but these are special circumstances and it'll be good to get off my chest.

I've been doing a great job, l think, of isolating myself plus being careful about what and who comes in my house plus I'm limiting any away from home risks very well, too.

Well about 5 days ago I started getting intermittent chills and they would come on like attacks, staying for anywhere from 15 min to an hour or more. Gradually they've been coming more frequently and since I have autoimmune issues triggered by an awful case of neuro Lyme disease, I was writing off this latest round of symptoms to that.

Last night the chills became severe and my legs went weak and rubbery and added to that, I'm now also getting low grade fevers, not exactly a sore throat but some discomfort there, minor cough, and very infrequent nausea. All of this makes me think could it be Corona. Other than taking in my mail (carefully) I did have one buddy, Russian Paul, stop by just over a week ago with some N95 masks for me. I actually limited our contact to talking out my window with him well over 6 ft away and he left the box of masks on my front porch. At that time I wasn't being as careful and so when he left I brought them inside without disinfecting or washing after, so there's that poss exposure. Not trying to over think things but Paul told me this morning that his wife who is a nurse who rotates between 3 local hospitals cared for a couple corona positive patients during the past week and she is now showing symptoms incl fever. Paul said he is starting to get a sore throat himself, so who knows.

Last night during the overnight, I was feeling awful and it got so bad I came close to calling an ambulance twice, but managed to tough it out because being at an ER is the last place I'd want to be now. Today has been better but still not very good.

Called my doc at the VA this morning, he wants to rule out Corona so he emailed me a script for a test. I went to 2 local hospitals who were doing drive in tests, both ran out of kits. Drove 40 miles to another one and got swabbed.

if I had to bet I'd say no it isn't corona but whatever it is I'm not loving it.

So the dilemma:

There couldn't be a worse time to get sick with anything that requires hospital attention, it really becomes gut check time.

hopefully, I'll manage to avoid any hospital visit, and the test will cooperate, too.

Strange times we're in.

best,
brian kc

Brian,

Sorry to hear your going through this.

We had a very similar situation in my family recently and it ended up being the flu but not coronavirus.

From what you said in your post, I doubt you have coronavirus.

Try not to stress over it if at all possible. As some have said, drink all the fluids you can get down.

Eating solid food is important but, nowhere near as important as fluids.

If you get to where you can't keep much down, try extremely thin soups and broths.

Don't know where your located but, in my area it takes from 1 to 6 days to results back depending on which lad is doing the work.

Keep us updated and take care sir.

Jeff

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Brian,

Glad you got tested. Obviously hope it was negative. Hope to see you again down the road!

Lyn

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gargling and other folk treatments won’t help you at all.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...virus/2019-novel-coronavirus-myth-versus-fact

It also seems unlikely that hot vs warm vs cold fluids would have any difference between them.

I said an antiseptic mouthwash, not the things mentioned in this article. It will help kill any germs in your mouth or throat. My doctor advised me to do this every day. There is nothing here that says hot fluids/liquids are not good for you. Plain water is good and hot water is better. Hot chicken soup broth and ginger tea with lemon recommended. That remains my contention.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Brian, how are you this morning?

thanks to all for the well wishes and suggestions.

and thanks, Dave, for asking.

I woke up today feeling 90% better and had a vg sleep but, unfortunately, chills and weak legs and minor cough are all reappearing. :angry:

Still feel it's highly unlikely to be covid 19, the va already called to say my regular flu a & b were neg as well as rsv respiratory virus test. I didn't even know they were checking all those, too.

This chicken is no drama queen but I'll say this - the thought of having to go to a hospital for this (or anything else for that matter) right now is especially unappealing.

But so is sheltering in place with this crap. It doesn't feel like the run of the mill stuff we all have experienced before, def an odd one.

the dilemma continues...

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• 3-27-20-goosebumps-2.jpg
    3-27-20-goosebumps-2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 544

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Okay, so here's the scoop. I didn't want to talk about this on here, but now I will. I returned home from the Philippines on Jan. 26. In the Business class lounge there was an older Chinese man who was coughing about ten feet away from where my wife and I were sitting. He was sitting in the perfect spot to watch the TV in the lounge. After his flight was called I took his seat, against the wishes of my wife. I wanted to watch the news on TV, and could see it better from there.

About four of five days after we got home, I came down with a bad sore throat and cough. I had a low fever (maybe only 100) and extreme shortness of breath. I couldn't take a deep breath without coughing badly. My wife took care of me with hot ginger tea and damp towels on my head. She rubbed me down a few times a day to keep me cool. After maybe five or six more days (bad days) the deep retching cough began to subside, and I thought I was getting well. Wrong!

It took me six weeks of rest and recuperation to finally be able to breath normally again and rid myself completely of the cough. It's only the last three weeks that I feel my strength and appetite coming back. I lost over ten pounds in that period of time. More than once I thought about going to the hospital early on. I've discussed this with my doctor who prescribed meds for me when I was sick, I told him I may have been one of the first in Los Angeles who contracted Covid-19 and he just said that's a possibility.

I do know I've never in my life been this sick for so long. I'm still being extra careful these days and plan to take a test when they become more available. I'm curious to see if I have antibodies to this virus now.

Last edited:

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Hang in there Brian. I got a good feeling you’ll be fine. Stay positive and keep your mind occupied.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, so here's the scoop. I didn't want to talk about this on here, but now I will. I returned home from the Philippines on Jan. 26. In the Business class lounge there was an older Chinese man who was coughing about ten feet away from where my wife and I were sitting. He was sitting in the perfect spot to watch the TV in the lounge. After his flight was called I took his seat, against the wishes of my wife. I wanted to watch the news on TV, and could see it better from there.

About four of five days after we got home, I came down with a bad sore throat and cough. I had a low fever (maybe only 100) and extreme shortness of breath. I couldn't take a deep breath without coughing badly. My wife took care of me with hot ginger tea and damp towels on my head. She rubbed me down a few times a day to keep me cool. After maybe five or six more days (bad days) the deep retching cough began to subside, and I thought I was getting well. Wrong!

It took me six weeks of rest and recuperation to finally be able to breath normally again and rid myself completely of the cough. It's only the last three weeks that I feel my strength and my appetite coming back. I lost over ten pounds in that period of time. More than once I thought about going to the hospital early on. I've discussed this with my doctor who prescribed meds for me when I was sick, I told him I may have been one of the first in Los Angeles who contracted Covid-19 and he just said that's a possibility.

I do know I've never in my life been this sick for so long. I'm still being extra careful these days and plan to take a test when they become more available. I'm curious to see if I have antibodies to this virus now.

Something very similar went around my house in December. Fever of around 100-102 for 5 days.
The worst cough I have ever had and sore throat for 2 weeks.
Me and the kids got it, wife didn't have any symptoms.

It was terrible.

I hope this passes. With the whole world working together
on this for the first time in history. I am optimistic.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something very similar went around my house in December. Fever of around 100-102 for 5 days.
The worst cough I have ever had and sore throat for 2 weeks.
Me and the kids got it, wife didn't have any symptoms.

It was terrible.

I hope this passes. With the whole world working together
on this for the first time in history. I am optimistic.

My wife never got sick, but she is much younger and stronger than me and has that Filipina immune system that seems to ward off our viruses fairly well.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hang in there Brian. We're all pulling for you.

Great to hear you made it through Jay. I would put money on you having had the bug.

I think I'm finishing killing it off myself. On the 10th, I woke up with a sore throat and the very next day I had a mild burning in my chest that I've never experienced before that stayed with me for several days. Throughout the next few days, this burning in my chest would extend throughout my body. It was the strangest thing I've ever experienced. I didn't bother with getting tested I just self isolated because I never had the cough or even a fever but things have finally faded. I'm 44 and this thing was very mild overall but still really strange. Anyway, I know this isn't about me -- but I do think this bug was going around well before our first models predicted -- which would be very good news for all of us.

Again hang in there Brian, even if you somehow caught this thing -- odds are still way in your favor.