Nine in the corner, carom off the three

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Nine in the corner, CB carom off the three and this is what I ended up with (or I should say "my opponent ended up" with since I told him it was now his shot :grin::

Attachments

• stuck in pocket 1.jpg
    stuck in pocket 1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 440
  • stuck in pocket 2.jpg
    stuck in pocket 2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 436

kenny_74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both balls are in pocket and mostly off the slab. That should be considered a scratch.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Interesting situation. I know what would happen in one pocket, but in 9 ball you might have someone argue that when you picked up the cueball to get BIH that you moved the 9 (all ball fouls, if you're playing that).

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting situation. I know what would happen in one pocket, but in 9 ball you might have someone argue that when you picked up the cueball to get BIH that you moved the 9 (all ball fouls, if you're playing that).

what would happen in onepocket?
I need to know.
steven
I still don't believe the ball gets spotted in nine ball.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
scratch by any reasonable rules . . .

I can't be sure if the nine is off the playing surface or not, cue ball is. The cue ball is scratched, if the nine falls when the cue ball is removed then it is considered pocketed.

I do like the old bar room play it where it lays rule. When someone had rambled off from the table when I was shooting and I scratched I usually placed the cue ball on the rail or on the light. When anyone asked if I scratched I'd tell them, "Nope, play it where it lays!" What was really funny is how often bar room players would start trying to figure out how to shoot the ball back then! No sissy rules to take the fun out of play. :thumbup:

Every once in awhile it was possible to play a timed shot where the cue ball went in the jaws and a ball blocked the entire table coming in behind it. Very few people could make a legal jump from that kind of lock up even today, back then it was the cause of much head scratching and a few arguments. If you could have the object ball stay touching the cue ball it was the ultimate lock up safety and the old mud balls made that easier than two balls of the same size and weight.

Hu

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
I did something similar the other day when I was playing 8 ball. I shot my ball into his to clear the pocket, and they jammed up like this.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
World Standardized Rules

http://www.wpa-pool.com/pdf/web/WPA_Rules.pdf

8.3 Ball Pocketed
A ball is pocketed if it comes to rest in a pocket below the playing surface or enters the ball return system. A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.

If a ball stops near the edge of a pocket, and remains apparently motionless for five seconds, it is not considered pocketed if it later falls into the pocket by itself.

See 1.7 Balls Settling for other details. During that five second period, the referee should ensure that no other shot is taken. An object ball that rebounds from a pocket back onto the playing surface is not a pocketed ball. If the cue ball contacts an already pocketed ball, the cue ball will be considered pocketed whether it rebounds from the pocket or not. The referee will remove pocketed object balls from full or nearly full pockets, but it is the shooter’s responsibility to see that this duty is performed.

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happened to me at the superbilliards expo years ago. We got a referee and this is what he said, and did: He pushed the OB (In my game it was the 5) into the pocket as it is apparently considered pocketed. He said, "if the cue follows it in, it's a scratch, but if it stays up you keep shooting" He also said he had never seen that in a tournament and remembered it following year.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Wow..... those pockets are cut really different.

Yes. The pockets are wide but the cushion cut angle rejects/rattles balls like crazy. We (it's a community center table) might have the cushions/pockets recut during the next re-clothing, but it might make more sense to just buy a better table.

Just kidding about making him play it as it lays. We guessed that the right call was spot the 9 and BIH. The 3-ball -- that I had carommed off of -- tied up with another ball and my opponent isn't too good at safeties so I figured I could be generous :D