Ball return versus drop pockets

NoStrokeAtAll

Registered
I own a small room in Florida. Have 14 tables. All are Gold Crowns except snooker table. My customer base is generally older and they really like the fact they don't need to bend over and retrieve balls from a low hanging box. I never need to realign the tracking system to get balls into a box. Unless someone was really wanting to make me a great deal on returns, I would rebuy drop pockets in a heart beat.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like ball returns. Balls stay cleaner because they don't sit in a pocket full of chalk dust.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YANKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
world series this year .....................:thumbup:
:grin:

I thought we were friends?

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball return. When they get stuck it’s usually because someone drops chalk into one of the pockets. 1 pocket is not the only game on the planet. Think about the rest of the games. 8 ball, nine ball? They benefit from ball returns. Only real advance I see from drop pockets is that if you are just shooting balls then you can throw them out from the pockets. Otherwise it’s roll down all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Drop pocket. I don’t tire retrieving balls and I can’t stand the sound.

I agree, I play with a guy straight pool once a week for 5 hours and the sound will drive you nuts. Sold the table and got drop pockets for that reason.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball return. When they get stuck it’s usually because someone drops chalk into one of the pockets

Sounds like a case for drop pockets. Not to mention whatever else can be dropped down and get stuck; coins, bottle peas, general dust and debris, etc. Drops are easier to clean, and cheaper if you’re buying new.

I like both, but certain games seem to lend themselves better to drop or ball return. BR is definitely best for 14.1, and maybe also 8-ball and the rotation games, but with One Pocket drops are better.

Still, drops are fine for any game and it’s convenient when you need to grab a ball back quickly rather than waiting for the return.

The sound of the BR can be tiresome after a while, especially in a home room.

Also for solo practice drops are better, it’s easier to snag balls from wherever depending on how you practice.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a case for drop pockets. Not to mention whatever else can be dropped down and get stuck; coins, bottle peas, general dust and debris, etc. Drops are easier to clean, and cheaper if you’re buying new.

I like both, but certain games seem to lend themselves better to drop or ball return. BR is definitely best for 14.1, and maybe also 8-ball and the rotation games, but with One Pocket drops are better.

Still, drops are fine for any game and it’s convenient when you need to grab a ball back quickly rather than waiting for the return.

The sound of the BR can be tiresome after a while, especially in a home room.

Also for solo practice drops are better, it’s easier to snag balls from wherever depending on how you practice.

You obviously have no experience with the ball returns on a Gold Crown.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it that obvious?

Afraid so. A coin or bottle pea could never block a ball return rail. I would just fall straight through. I have a GCV just like you but with a ball return. Previous to that I had a GVIII with a ball return and the 2 other tables before that were drop pockets.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Afraid so. A coin or bottle pea could never block a ball return rail. I would just fall straight through. I have a GCV just like you but with a ball return. Previous to that I had a GVIII with a ball return and the 2 other tables before that were drop pockets.

Ok you got me, guilty as charged.

Haven’t played on a Brunswick ball return in literally decades only Valley and Diamond bar boxes.

Still, I would be the person unlucky enough to get miscellaneous junk fall into a ball return and get stuck.

Honestly(!) playing on both BR and DP are fine by me. I’d just rather have the DP for home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok you got me, guilty as charged.

Haven’t played on a Brunswick ball return in literally decades only Valley and Diamond bar boxes.

Still, I would be the person unlucky enough to get miscellaneous junk fall into a ball return and get stuck.

Honestly(!) playing on both BR and DP are fine by me. I’d just rather have the DP for home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local hall has both and we mix and match during tournaments. I don’t mind either. Although I do forget which one I am on and it never fails that my opponent retrieves 7 balls before it occurred to me that it’s a drop pocket table.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Interesting first world problem thread...

Here's my own opinion, (not a room owner).

If presented with two options to play on. The first is BR the other is DP. The deciding criteria would be, 1) the condition of the balls designated for the table, 2) the condition of the table cloth and rails.

The point... I doubt anyone is going to put the non-game changing function of a BR table over a DP when things that make a difference are the main concern.

I say save the money and go DP. Use those saved funds to keep the tables in great shape and/or buy top tier balls.

I have never heard of anyone wanting to go to a particular hall because of BR.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If opening a new room, why not have some of each table and allow the customer to choose a table based on their preferences.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Both have good and bad. One pocket, drop pockets. 14.1 ball returns. (9 ball drop pockets).

If your a room owner, the table will get MORE play with ball returns, and of course, the counter will be called to get the chalk outta the gully's quite often on a Fri night.

The selection of drop pockets of top quality, has to be waaaaaaay more versatile than the ball returns.

If I had a home table with ball returns, that would be nice if I was just playing by myself and if I was short. :)

Ball returns are not that convenient for Tall people, I'm 6'6''. When I play in bar table events, I HAVE to get to my knees to dig balls outta the return, no way I'm bending over to do that.

Harder to cheat with drop pockets in one pocket.

Personal preference, but I prefer the newer drop pockets because the materials they use in the 21st century are Finally as good if not better than the Grey pockets of the early GC I's with ball returns. Softer and leave NO ball marks.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just converted my GCIII to drop pockets.
Easy to walk around the table and throw balls out.
A proper drop pocket will hold 8 balls easily.