Thinking of opening a room

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider a carom table. There are tons of players with no place to play. Took almost 2 years of convincing our local hall to put one in. It's played on constantly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No.....just commenting on his troubles getting his city to allow him to operate a Pool Hall.

BTW....you burnt up just as much bandwidth by quoting what I wrote instead of just replying!
Welcome to "Ignore" moron.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, got some info that I feel the need to share. So Westchester county rents are just too high and the districts, towns and villages gave me a hard time. Enter the Bronx.

I was with a friend the other day in a very crappy section of the Bronx. 4 train, 145th or so to be exact. There used to be a hall there called Remy's Bar and Billiards. It was more of a night club than an actual pool hall. A real estate company is advertising the space which still has all 32 tables, full kitchen and full bar. I guess the owner of the business got kicked out by the landlord because the owner lost his liquor license and could not keep up with the rent. Anyways, I call up. The place is about 13,000 SQ. The neighborhood is seedy, crappy, shitty whatever word you want to say. The locals aren't exactly the best it has to offer but they are there so security is going to be a big thing. Easy access to the train which means many of the big tri state tours/leagues can have another home to come play at.

Landlord wants $16,000 a month. Is that even reasonable in this current situation we are in? I'd figure I would at least get rid of 12-15 tables to make space for some vending machines, pinball machines and dart machines. Make enough space for at least 4 7-footers for APA play and just go the plain jane fries and wings food and only a beer/wine license. I literally would be ditching the last business plan, which was a night club and making this into a full pool hall/game center. But again, is $16,000 too much considering the neighborhood and current virus situation we are in?

Let me know what you guys think.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Opening a room right now is not a good idea. You get covid and you're done.

Ok, got some info that I feel the need to share. So Westchester county rents are just too high and the districts, towns and villages gave me a hard time. Enter the Bronx.

I was with a friend the other day in a very crappy section of the Bronx. 4 train, 145th or so to be exact. There used to be a hall there called Remy's Bar and Billiards. It was more of a night club than an actual pool hall. A real estate company is advertising the space which still has all 32 tables, full kitchen and full bar. I guess the owner of the business got kicked out by the landlord because the owner lost his liquor license and could not keep up with the rent. Anyways, I call up. The place is about 13,000 SQ. The neighborhood is seedy, crappy, shitty whatever word you want to say. The locals aren't exactly the best it has to offer but they are there so security is going to be a big thing. Easy access to the train which means many of the big tri state tours/leagues can have another home to come play at.

Landlord wants $16,000 a month. Is that even reasonable in this current situation we are in? I'd figure I would at least get rid of 12-15 tables to make space for some vending machines, pinball machines and dart machines. Make enough space for at least 4 7-footers for APA play and just go the plain jane fries and wings food and only a beer/wine license. I literally would be ditching the last business plan, which was a night club and making this into a full pool hall/game center. But again, is $16,000 too much considering the neighborhood and current virus situation we are in?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Opening a Pool Room could be your Dream, hire a business consultant with experence in the industry to help you. The cost of the consultation, could be saving you more money, if you do not understand the dollars & sense of a Pool Room.

hankr123

I'm not a room proprietor, however, I've been to 1 or two pool lobbies that had a different space for private occasions. I don't think they were scarcely ever leased. You could do something very similar in your ordinary space and guarantee a birthday celebration gathering or work bunch a couple of tables altogether. Along these lines, you save money on the workout, and when it's occupied, you can use the entirety of your tables all the more without any problem.

SlateMan

Registered

I'm not an owner of an establishment but I have some financial expertise. You need to run the numbers. If you were at 100% capacity every day, where would you be on paying the rent? Now back that down to a realistic range of operation and how busy you think you will be each night. For instance, if you have leagues, will you charge them by the hour? If the place if full of league players 3-4 nights a week, you better have other revenue streams (food, drink, etc.).

Open a spreadsheet program and do some modeling. Put in some sensitivity analysis. Run a worst case scenario (COVID shutdown for 3 months).

Most important, you need to have the time to be there. Understand your business and the numbers or you will be robbed blind....

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is only one major hall in my area that has been opened for many years. The current owners basically do not care about the place. They live off of the high school hookah smoking crowd and the fact that sundays through Thursdays, it's $10 to play all day. Personally, I think they launder money there, but that's just me.

Anyway, I have a lead on a building that an owner has. It used to be a furniture shop but it's clean now and they have up to 7,000sq available. I also have a lead on someone who is selling 5 Gold Crown 4 tables plus gold crown lights, tables, chairs, balls, sticks and computer management system all for $15k. basically the person has all this in a dry, clean warehouse storage because his partner pulled out on their deal of opening up a place. And truth be told, I would probably sell of the lights because I would like to go all LEDs.

I also would be getting a beer and wine license. I feel like hard liquor is no use for the first year or so. there are a few places in the area for food which is fine, but I can have my mother in law cook meals like rice, beans, chicken, beef and other stuff at home and bring it over for a buffet type area.

With 7,000sq, I figured the 5 Gold Crown tables, coupled with maybe 5 more 9 footers, four bar tables and a few ping pong tables should be enough to draw in a crowd. I'll probably also have vending machines for chips and sodas. Some televisions aswell. I would also love a few arcade and pinball machines as those were some of the hobbies I put into a lot of time growing up. If I take the whole 7,000sq, I have considered maybe having a private party area.

that's my plan for now. any extra ideas I should be looking into? I really want as much info as possible before going forward with this.

Any ideas will be thought about and considered.

Thanks for reading.
I would be positive I had a liquor license before I did anything else. If it's in a small town , you better have the ok from city council on young people hours .

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Is liquor really that important?
Kids these days aren't all that into it, healthy living & cost are their main issues. And like you sen that other place, hookah.
Then there's (for what $0.02 is worth) noise. TV's & Junk-box, there's those regulars who find the quietest stools to sit. You have separate space for a low noise area? As you know, regulars are your 'bread & butter'.
About 10 years ago, stopped at my regular bar with 2 tables, walked in the front door only to be BLASTED with head bang'n noise on their newly installed YUGE & LOUD speakers. I walked in 2 steps, with wide open eyes stopped, walked out backwards.
I'm sure you've taken in all the info before, just reiterating since you've might not done a floor plan yet.
IDEA: Large area rugs hanging like walls are great sound absorbers that's easily changed. Sports banners near the ceiling do the same thing.

Above all, GOOD LUCK!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$16000 a month in a crappy area?
Who is going to go there except the locals?
Add Covid and high unemployment.
I think your desire to open a room is clouding common sense.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
$16,000 [div] 30 days [div] 12 hrs [div] 10 tables [=] you need $4.45 per hour on all tables all the time. Unrealistic.
But I do see how you're coming up with it's a possibility. I'd say you're CUTTING your profit margin to thin.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Lots of people think owning business would be fun, freedom, etc. Find someone who is like a business consultant who know Pool room operations, the how, what it takes, and area potential for your dream. If they charge you $500.00-$1,000.00 to say, it's a go, great opportunity, or you better not do it. It is cheaper then pulling the trigger on sinking ship, that will never be a profitable business.

JMHO

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have managed or been a part of a couple places in the past and currently work at a large one in Tempe AZ. I would find someone with the knowledge to go over everything with you. It is worth what they charge you if they are an expert in their field. Liquor is a must as its huge profit margin IMO. It does come with cost obviously and problems with inebriated people.

Making it on pool, games and popcorn with that overhead will not cut it. This climate is uncertain so I would definitely wait until after covid is done before getting into it. Without question check what the median income in your area is and the demand/competition for what you are doing. I think a small 12 table room with darts so you can do leagues in both along with booze and TVs for sports then you have winner. You will need food and the kitchen will be a big cost. Some liquor licenses require food sales.

Wishing you success with what you decide to do but find someone with the knowledge to go over the numbers and business plan/model before so.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
WOOOooo... forgot about that Liquor License.
Would it be cheaper to just buy the State?