Chili Recipe ? Any out of the ordinary

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pool Room I grew up in several years ago was ran by the same guy for 50 years. He had the best Chili and Cheeseburger around, He would make the Chili using Flour as a thickener. I would have loved to had his recipe and just wondered if there was some old school pool room chili recipe's out there

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The Pool Room I grew up in several years ago was ran by the same guy for 50 years. He had the best Chili and Cheeseburger around, He would make the Chili using Flour as a thickener. I would have loved to had his recipe and just wondered if there was some old school pool room chili recipe's out there

Corn Starch will also thicken Chili, as far a recipes there are so many to be had for free on the web, try, experement, work up your best personal recipe.

My personal guidelines is No Beans, Must have Cumin, Jalapeños + Chili Powder, Red or White Onions, Tomatoes, or Tomotios if you want Green Chili. Beef, Pork or Goat Meat. I love Pork.

One of the best Chilis I had on the road was in Piñon, Colorado. It was Green Chili with Hatch Pepper, Pork, spices, and served with Hot homemade Flour Tortillas.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Chili was thick , it had hamburger and light red kidney beans . It was made like a gravy , they called it Chili Gravy . The Chili was a orange color and had the best taste . He said that he used all purpose flour mixed with water to make a thicking. You also got a big bowl of oyster crackers . I just wish I could figure it out. They also cooked the hamburger in water. It also had Tomato Juice .

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Chili was thick , it had hamburger and light red kidney beans . It was made like a gravy , they called it Chili Gravy . The Chili was a orange color and had the best taste . He said that he used all purpose flour mixed with water to make a thicking. You also got a big bowl of oyster crackers . I just wish I could figure it out. They also cooked the hamburger in water. It also had Tomato Juice .

Probably used browned flour. Look for chili dog sauce recipes on Pinterest. You’ll find enough to get you in the ballpark.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Wickfowlers Two-Alarm Chili Fixins comes in a red box in the spice aisle has flour in one of its ingredients packets. I use it and and instead of water use my favorite IPA then add a couple jalapenos and simmer for 90 minutes and it produces a really tasty chili.

-don

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is problay Corn Flour , some of the kits have them. He used all purpose flour . He got the recipe from the guy he worked for who ran the pool room in the 50's. He said they called it Chili gravy, I have not had a bowl in several years but Steak and Shakes chili reminds me of it and has a very similar taste and look to it.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

The best chili for that application I ever had the lady blended the chili after she cooked and made it. It has no thickener I'm aware of very meaty and was like a paste, never fell off a hotdog. Best I've ever seen however if you do try and use a thickener brown the flour or don't do it.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you mix the flour with water that may be called a slurry , then you get the chili to a rolling boil and then stir in the slurry until it thickens to were you want it . I believe it to be a old Army recipe.