Would you use this shaft?

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m making a cue for a friend. I finished the shaft today and it’s very light at 3.2ozs. It doesn’t have a brass insert (will be a 3/8-10 wood joint) or any metal in the joint ring, it’s 30” long, pro taper, and 12.9 at the tip. I knew it would be light from the start but not sure about it now. What do you think.? Will it play like crap? Thanks mike.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the operative word is "LD" :)

At least give it a fair try - might be fine.

I've found just changing cues from time to time makes a difference - takes you mind out of a familiar rut for a bit and the (unconscious) mental distraction allows deeper focus on the task at hand (what do these new sensation mean for making the ball & getting shape) sometimes leading to temporary or even residual improvement.

If everybody hates it, then make a new one.
Are you sure it was hard maple, not soft? (different species, not hard or soft of the same kind).

smt

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Alan and Larry.. going to give it a shot I suppose. Just hate to waste a 25$ kamui tip on it. Ssonerai, I’m pretty sure it was hard maple. It cut like the other shafts I have. I bought this blank from Schmelke so I’m pretty confident with that aspect of it but it was super white. Maybe it was in the kiln too long?

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Alan and Larry.. going to give it a shot I suppose. Just hate to waste a 25$ kamui tip on it. Ssonerai, I’m pretty sure it was hard maple. It cut like the other shafts I have. I bought this blank from Schmelke so I’m pretty confident with that aspect of it but it was super white. Maybe it was in the kiln too long?

Could always use a moisture meter. If it's too dry, more risk of warpage as it acclimates to the environment.

But density and color can vary a lot within a hardwood species.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kiln won't make maple white.
Some shafts used to be bleached, but doubt it from schmelke.

I just wondered if you were cutting out of some local lumber. Being where you are in PA IIRC. Still some big hard maples down there. I buy hard and soft maple for cabinets (use the soft for drawer sides and interior/secondary wood, mostly). Sometimes a soft plank gets thrown in with hard or visa versa. It's rare, certainly not likely with a major cue co.
smt