Cutting stainless steel joint

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im having trouble cutting my steel collars and getting a smooth finish. Is there a specific type of cutter/insert I should use or is there something else I should be doing specifically when cutting it. Thanks for any info.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know your setup but insert with large radius need a strong setup to do well due to the higher pressure, try a tool with a minimum radius or sharp with very low feed speed.

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a grizzly gunsmith lathe. I run it at 800 rpm at the slowest of 112 tpi. I might have to get a different insert.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a grizzly gunsmith lathe. I run it at 800 rpm at the slowest of 112 tpi. I might have to get a different insert.

A good insert quality will make the job no problem, normally the finition problems come from vibrations or slack on the lathe and less often from poor quality material.
Your cutting speed is not the problem, assure you that your cutting tool is at the good height, check if you have slack on carriages, you have adjustement screws to tight it and try with a pointed or a very low radius cutter, this is the fisrt things to check and do. Some high quality inserts exist they are a plus for SS but not a necessity for small jobs, don't forget that a minimum radius tool always help, it decrease pressure between the part to machine and the tool. Hope that can help you.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What inserts are you using? and more importantly; is it a nice and fresh new insert?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I run it at 800 rpm at the slowest of 112 tpi.

You should not be on the leadscrew & half-nuts for feeding, for simple OD/ID work.
Try the feed range & clutch, around .004"/rev to start, (would equate to 250 TPI) and maybe work up from there. Sometimes feeding harder is smoother, but it sounds like you need to start smaller and find that point. With a sharp tool.

I'd actually check tool tip height, first.

Inserts need to be positive rake for best cuts.

Either that or slow the speed down a little, & shape & hone a HSS tool, but i know that does not go down well around here. :D

Also, what kind of stainless?
Some work hardens if the tool is rubbing, instead of cutting.

smt