refelt time

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there some sort of an accelerated depreciation method that you guys use to determine when felt should be changed? Obviously, there is the tried and true method of just looking at it. However, I am writing some software that could potentially take advantage of this data. I've checked the internet and have some ideas but I thought I would come to the experts.

Thanks for any help.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Is there some sort of an accelerated depreciation method that you guys use to determine when felt should be changed? Obviously, there is the tried and true method of just looking at it. However, I am writing some software that could potentially take advantage of this data. I've checked the internet and have some ideas but I thought I would come to the experts.

Thanks for any help.

First explain what the above in bold means.

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First explain what the above in bold means.

It's essentially an algorithm that establishes a depreciative value to (in this case) their table cloth in regards to (i.e. Table use, cheap cloth, what games are played etc.).

I understand there are a lot of factors to consider.

Since cloth will depreciate faster on a table that gets used, it seems to me that for every hour a table is being used there should method that would accelerate that depreciation. I hope that explains what I am looking for.

Understanding Accelerated Depreciation
The use of accelerated depreciation methods are mostly logistical. Although an asset is not required to be depreciated in the same manner in which it is used, an accelerated depreciation method tends to make this occur. This is because an asset is most heavily used when it is new, functional, and most efficient. Because this tends to occur at the beginning of the asset’s life, the rationale behind an accelerated method of depreciation is that it appropriately matches how the underlying asset is used. As an asset ages, it is not used as heavily, since it is slowly phased out for newer assets.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's essentially an algorithm that establishes a depreciative value to (in this case) their table cloth in regards to (i.e. Table use, cheap cloth, what games are played etc.).

I understand there are a lot of factors to consider.

Since cloth will depreciate faster on a table that gets used, it seems to me that for every hour a table is being used there should method that would accelerate that depreciation. I hope that explains what I am looking for.

Understanding Accelerated Depreciation
The use of accelerated depreciation methods are mostly logistical. Although an asset is not required to be depreciated in the same manner in which it is used, an accelerated depreciation method tends to make this occur. This is because an asset is most heavily used when it is new, functional, and most efficient. Because this tends to occur at the beginning of the asset’s life, the rationale behind an accelerated method of depreciation is that it appropriately matches how the underlying asset is used. As an asset ages, it is not used as heavily, since it is slowly phased out for newer assets.
IMO you're making this waaaay too complicated. Its pretty easy to tell just by looking. If your place is busy all the time then once a year is more than adequate if you're using good worsted.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
If your place is busy all the time then once a year is more than adequate if you're using good worsted.

Good Worsted?
Once a Year?

I need to show this to the Owner of the room where I play!

Polyester and every five years (maybe) is what we get!

Island Drive

Silver Member
IMO you're making this waaaay too complicated. Its pretty easy to tell just by looking. If your place is busy all the time then once a year is more than adequate if you're using good worsted.

Some room owners think the cloth is ok, because it's still green and has no tears, especially room owners that don't play pool and are more concerned about food/beverage.

I'd wet rag the cloth/ie. wipe down with a Clean, non lint cotton, and then see if your able to draw your ball effectively. Make sure you do the entire table surface and top rails and cushion noses. After doing one table, completely rinse out that cloth and do the next.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Worsted?
Once a Year?

I need to show this to the Owner of the room where I play!

Polyester and every five years (maybe) is what we get!
We're in the process of getting all new ANDY988. Our owner is REAL good about the equipment. The current cloth still looks better than 80% of any place i've ever been but hey, i'm doin a Sgt. Schulz here and saying nothing. ;)

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some room owners think the cloth is ok, because it's still green and has no tears, especially room owners that don't play pool and are more concerned about food/beverage.

Yes. The software is meant to programmatically help someone understand what is happening on their pool tables. The software doesn’t just keep track of refelt time. Understanding the demographics of your business is extremely useful in running it. Not all employees are looking for these types of things.

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd wet rag the cloth/ie. wipe down with a Clean, non lint cotton, and then see if your able to draw your ball effectively. Make sure you do the entire table surface and top rails and cushion noses. After doing one table, completely rinse out that cloth and do the next.

This just a reminder with some intelligence.

Island Drive

Silver Member
What???????

This just a reminder with some intelligence.

Thx for the dim bulb comment :grin-square:

So have you ever played pro sports or been in Olympic time trials?

I've always looked at life quite differently because of my WWII fathers up bringing. And never professed to be Smart, just street smart, with a paid off home, children thru college and many grand kids, not your norm for a pool player.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I play the owner uses Simonis 860 HR and it's replaced every September

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx for the dim bulb comment :grin-square:

So have you ever played pro sports or been in Olympic time trials?

I've always looked at life quite differently because of my WWII fathers up bringing. And never professed to be Smart, just street smart, with a paid off home, children thru college and many grand kids, not your norm for a pool player.

Sorry didn’t mean to insinuate anything.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Actually I meant the software has some built in intelligence to determine when and what to display when displaying notifications. Nothing personal.

Since you sound/speak like you have a very High IQ I found it difficult since you choose your words in a way few others on this forum do...but yet I understand.

Remember, most of the posters on here are not from Harvard or Yale....Many of us are just like the 9 boys in the boat, who won the Olympics in the late 30's when Hitler was getting ready to murder humanity.

Were like artists and musicians. Our characters and personalities are formed this way from living life thru what came our way and Common Sense, give and take and being fair to others, not just thru books and rose colored glasses.

Your forgiven....

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you sound/speak like you have a very High IQ I found it difficult since you choose your words in a way few others on this forum do...but yet I understand.

Remember, most of the posters on here are not from Harvard or Yale....Many of us are just like the 9 boys in the boat, who won the Olympics in the late 30's when Hitler was getting ready to murder humanity.

Were like artists and musicians. Our characters and personalities are formed this way from living life thru what came our way and Common Sense, give and take and being fair to others, not just thru books and rose colored glasses.

Your forgiven....
Gee thanks. I’ve been playing pool for over 50 years and still play most days. I’ve met quite a few pool players in those years and the vast majority were very intelligent. As far as the IQ my wife would not agree.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Your forgiven....
You're..

Sent from the future.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
buzzsaw;658471[B said:
8]Gee thanks.[/B]

Bill, I think you misconstrued more than one of the statements in this thread, took offense and created a rift.

Dude is trying to write software that assists with the management of pool rooms. It is precisely that type of information that leads to comfort for investors and the foundation that is needed to bring the industry up to 2009 retail standards.

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill, I think you misconstrued more than one of the statements in this thread, took offense and created a rift.

Dude is trying to write software that assists with the management of pool rooms. It is precisely that type of information that leads to comfort for investors and the foundation that is needed to bring the industry up to 2009 retail standards.

Thank you for explaining. Through my software, I am just trying to help someone understand what they have in front of them. Not everyone understands business dynamics.

Last edited: