"Papa Pete" Glenn Has Passed Away...

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
I just wanted to let the folks here at AZB know that Pete Glenn passed away Saturday night. His health had been deteriorating for some time. He passed peacefully at home on the evening of the running of the Kentucky Derby, which I think he would have liked since he was quite the gambler and from what his son, Del, said he really loved the Derby.

I played at the pool room that the Glenns owned when I was a teenager in the early seventies. Pete was always a real nice guy and he could play some one pocket.

For those that didn't know the Glenns, they are the family with all the beautiful Balabushka and Gus Szamboti pictures in the Billiard Encyclopedia.

Pete was a road player and a "wheeler dealer" that was buying cues from George when they were $105 and actually had the forethought to keep some in a collection in pristine condition. One of his sons, Denny, has taken over the collection and added to it for years now. Their collection has cues from virtually everybody who has ever played pool at a high level, from tournament players and road players alike, as well as tons of memorabilia. Another son, Stevie, is a well known one pocket player who has contributed to popular reference manuals about one pocket, and Pete's son Del is a heavy hitter on the tables in Phoenix. Pete's wife used to work in their pool room at the grill. This is a family that has been deeply involved in our sport.

There are probably many of you that can contribute a story or two about Pete and I hope you chime in here.

My heartfelt condolences to the family...

We'll miss you, Pete!

Steve Feld

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pete was a good father and a heck of a pool hustler
i suspect he not only won more than anyone,he kept more and retired wealthy

his son ,denny is one
of my best friends
this may not be the place,but if friends were to post stories about
pete,we would all have a good time

steve ware

Dean, I also played at the Golden 8 Ball. I got a Rambow cue from Denny in the mid 70's and would like to talk to Denny about it. could you please give him my # 602 531-3026 Thanks alot Steve Ware

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pete was a good father and a heck of a pool hustler
i suspect he not only won more than anyone,he kept more and retired wealthy

his son ,denny is one
of my best friends
this may not be the place,but if friends were to post stories about
pete,we would all have a good time

Very true Dean..I also knew him, and all his boys very well!..Pete was never a world beater, but he probably made more money at hustling pool than anyone, before or since!..Except for owning a few very prosperous pool rooms in the Phx. area, I don't think he ever worked a day in his life!..He and the boys, are given their fair acknowledgement, in Robbin's SMAS!..RIP Papa Glenn :cool:

Last edited:

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Loved Pete. Learned more about game from him. Was privileged to play with him in his room and count his son Stevie as a good friend. And Glenn Family collection of cues and memorabilia is remarkable.

R2PQZ

I just wanted to let the folks here at AZB know that Pete Glenn passed away Saturday night. His health had been deteriorating for some time. He passed peacefully at home on the evening of the running of the Kentucky Derby, which I think he would have liked since he was quite the gambler and from what his son, Del, said he really loved the Derby.

I played at the pool room that the Glenns owned when I was a teenager in the early seventies. Pete was always a real nice guy and he could play some one pocket.

For those that didn't know the Glenns, they are the family with all the beautiful Balabushka and Gus Szamboti pictures in the Billiard Encyclopedia.

Pete was a road player and a "wheeler dealer" that was buying cues from George when they were $105 and actually had the forethought to keep some in a collection in pristine condition. One of his sons, Denny, has taken over the collection and added to it for years now. Their collection has cues from virtually everybody who has ever played pool at a high level, from tournament players and road players alike, as well as tons of memorabilia. Another son, Stevie, is a well known one pocket player who has contributed to popular reference manuals about one pocket, and Pete's son Del is a heavy hitter on the tables in Phoenix. Pete's wife used to work in their pool room at the grill. This is a family that has been deeply involved in our sport.

There are probably many of you that can contribute a story or two about Pete and I hope you chime in here.

My heartfelt condolences to the family...

We'll miss you, Pete!

Steve Feld
Will never forget being tortured by Pete playing bank pool at the 211 Club in the 80's. Back and under was the call as he fired the balls into the pocket. He offered to flip for what he was ahead but I didn't take him up on it. A perfect gentleman and a pleasure to play. Roger