Thinking of opening a room

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is only one major hall in my area that has been opened for many years. The current owners basically do not care about the place. They live off of the high school hookah smoking crowd and the fact that sundays through Thursdays, it's $10 to play all day. Personally, I think they launder money there, but that's just me.

Anyway, I have a lead on a building that an owner has. It used to be a furniture shop but it's clean now and they have up to 7,000sq available. I also have a lead on someone who is selling 5 Gold Crown 4 tables plus gold crown lights, tables, chairs, balls, sticks and computer management system all for $15k. basically the person has all this in a dry, clean warehouse storage because his partner pulled out on their deal of opening up a place. And truth be told, I would probably sell of the lights because I would like to go all LEDs.

I also would be getting a beer and wine license. I feel like hard liquor is no use for the first year or so. there are a few places in the area for food which is fine, but I can have my mother in law cook meals like rice, beans, chicken, beef and other stuff at home and bring it over for a buffet type area.

With 7,000sq, I figured the 5 Gold Crown tables, coupled with maybe 5 more 9 footers, four bar tables and a few ping pong tables should be enough to draw in a crowd. I'll probably also have vending machines for chips and sodas. Some televisions aswell. I would also love a few arcade and pinball machines as those were some of the hobbies I put into a lot of time growing up. If I take the whole 7,000sq, I have considered maybe having a private party area.

that's my plan for now. any extra ideas I should be looking into? I really want as much info as possible before going forward with this.

Any ideas will be thought about and considered.

Thanks for reading.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Why?

Why is there only one room? What alternatives are in the area for entertainment? What are the demographics, median income, population, employment rate?

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
There is only one major hall in my area that has been opened for many years. The current owners basically do not care about the place. They live off of the high school hookah smoking crowd and the fact that sundays through Thursdays, it's $10 to play all day. Personally, I think they launder money there, but that's just me.

Anyway, I have a lead on a building that an owner has. It used to be a furniture shop but it's clean now and they have up to 7,000sq available. I also have a lead on someone who is selling 5 Gold Crown 4 tables plus gold crown lights, tables, chairs, balls, sticks and computer management system all for $15k. basically the person has all this in a dry, clean warehouse storage because his partner pulled out on their deal of opening up a place. And truth be told, I would probably sell of the lights because I would like to go all LEDs.

I also would be getting a beer and wine license. I feel like hard liquor is no use for the first year or so. there are a few places in the area for food which is fine, but I can have my mother in law cook meals like rice, beans, chicken, beef and other stuff at home and bring it over for a buffet type area.

With 7,000sq, I figured the 5 Gold Crown tables, coupled with maybe 5 more 9 footers, four bar tables and a few ping pong tables should be enough to draw in a crowd. I'll probably also have vending machines for chips and sodas. Some televisions aswell. I would also love a few arcade and pinball machines as those were some of the hobbies I put into a lot of time growing up. If I take the whole 7,000sq, I have considered maybe having a private party area.

that's my plan for now. any extra ideas I should be looking into? I really want as much info as possible before going forward with this.

Thanks for reading.

Looks like a solid business plan. Low overhead, good upside potential.

I would definitely go full liquor though. I'd also get as many tables as you can without being to crammed from a space point of view. With 7000sqft I think you could get maybe 15 in there. Those are your money makers.

Don't scrimp on Tvs or sound. With good food, good tables, booze, and good TVs you'll get plenty of people who just enjoy the vibe.

If you need lighting, or tables and chairs, send me a PM. I can hook you up with both.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you serve food you will need a license from your county and a kitchen. The county health department has requirements including a grease trap for your water which even a small one is 5k. Some locals want 1000 gallon ones, located outside...can be 20k. Think through food all the way. We have a 100 gallon trap which our plumber, who used to work for the county water department, was able to advocate for. We don't have a deep fryer, no fire suppression system...so it can be done. We serve sandwiches, cook specials, salads and cook things like boneless wings, fries and mozzarella sticks in air fryers. Plus a ton of junk food. Buying food sucks as a small business...

Doing all the work you can yourself is key. Pool slows down in summer months and having a big overhead will kill profits. Know all the details of any lease you consider. You do not want a triple net lease. You need a few months free to get setup and make money to get off the,ground. You want a 3 to 5 year lease where you can renew at your option. Don't even start unless you can be there 10years. Why build a business to see it relocated cause you don't have the lease?

Liquor license...you can obtain one on your own...no need for a lawyer. You can file for a temporary license while the permanent is pending.

Lastly know that no matter how much work you think it is...it is more. No matter how much fun you think it is...it is a responsibility and a burden. If you have the support and ability to do it only if you know you can make it.

I opened a room for under 80k and we did all our own work including electrical. Find out if you can do your own electrical in your area...and get it inspected. If you have to pay an electrician to wire things it will get pricy. Your local codes department can tell you.

PM me if you have questions...there is a lot to consider.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a room owner, but I've been to 1 or two pool halls that had a separate room for private events. I don't think they were hardly ever rented out. You could do the same thing in your normal space and promise a birthday party group or work function group a few tables all together. This way you save on the build out, and when its busy, you can utilize all of your tables more easily.

IMO, and again, I've never owned a room or any retail business, so take my free 2 cents:grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is there only one room? What alternatives are in the area for entertainment? What are the demographics, median income, population, employment rate?

I can't explain why there is only one room in the area. Mainly it's because Westchester County is a very expensive county, even though our location is considered the worst when it comes to everything.

It's the 4th largest city in NY state so it's a very diverse group of people. In the area in which I would be opening, it is very foot traffic heavy. Employment I cant tell you about because I never looked at it.

Entertainment? There are many movie theaters around, lots of bars and fast food places not to mention two major outdoor malls nearby.

And thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate the input.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't explain why there is only one room in the area. Mainly it's because Westchester County is a very expensive county, even though our location is considered the worst when it comes to everything.

It's the 4th largest city in NY state so it's a very diverse group of people. In the area in which I would be opening, it is very foot traffic heavy. Employment I cant tell you about because I never looked at it.

Entertainment? There are many movie theaters around, lots of bars and fast food places not to mention two major outdoor malls nearby.

And thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate the input.

I'm guessing either New Rochelle or Mount Vernon? The Italian side of my family is from New Rochelle although that was several decades ago. Believe it was Webster Avenue. Several still in the area. Last name is Bruzzese.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
That food things sounds nice but I see several reasons the health inspector won't let you do that. You would have to be buying it from a caterer on the up and up. She would have to be getting all her food from approved sources meaning wholesalers and not the grocery store on sale. She would have to have approved transport containers, you would have to be able to keep the food up to temp as well as remove and reheat it up to 165 before putting it back out there if it fell below. That is if he would permit that sort of thing. I think at a minimum you'll have to have a kitchen installed that's not going to be cheap if there isn't one already there.

Thanks for reading.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing either New Rochelle or Mount Vernon? The Italian side of my family is from New Rochelle although that was several decades ago. Believe it was Webster Avenue. Several still in the area. Last name is Bruzzese.

Yonkers side of Central Avenue, a block away from PC Richard and Son.

joe666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can always get local food trucks to park outside. That's what breweries here do to get around not having a kitchen. then all the paperwork and license falls on the food truck.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You can always get local food trucks to park outside. That's what breweries here do to get around not having a kitchen. then all the paperwork and license falls on the food truck.

That doesn't fly in NY. You must serve food, and chips don't cut it. Sandwiches, grease trap, the whole deal. Listen to SBC posting here, he just went through it all with the state

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

Thanks for reading.

I wish you well with your endeavor. Sounds like a great location and plan.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a bit of an update, but dealing with this city's chamber of commerce is a pain in the ass. Yonkers is very nitpicky about things.

And the guy who had the tables in storage took his post down which sucks because that would have saved a ton of money. But I'll keep going on and updating.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
City’s really do not like Pool Halls.

Friends, lemme tell you what I mean.
Ya got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table.
Pockets that mark the diff'rence
Between a gentlemen and a b__,
With a capital "B,"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!
And all week long your River City
Youth'll be frittern away,
I say your young men'll be frittern!
Frittern away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too!
Get the ball in the pocket,
Never mind gittin' Dandelions pulled
Or the screen door patched or the beefsteak pounded.
Never mind pumpin' any water
'Til your parents are caught with the Cistern empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble,
Oh, yes we got lots and lots a' trouble.
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers,
Shirt-tail young ones, peekin' in the pool
Hall window after school, look, folks!
Right here in River City.
Trouble with a capital "T"

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
City’s really do not like Pool Halls.

Friends, lemme tell you what I mean.
Ya got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table.
Pockets that mark the diff'rence
Between a gentlemen and a b__,
With a capital "B,"
And all week long your River City
Youth'll be frittern away,
I say your young men'll be frittern!
Frittern away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too!
Get the ball in the pocket,
Never mind gittin' Dandelions pulled
Or the screen door patched or the beefsteak pounded.
Never mind pumpin' any water
'Til your parents are caught with the Cistern empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble,
Oh, yes we got lots and lots a' trouble.
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers,
Shirt-tail young ones, peekin' in the pool
Hall window after school, look, folks!
Right here in River City.
Trouble with a capital "T"
And the purpose of this thread IS????? Burnin' bandwidth maybe??

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
No.....just commenting on his troubles getting his city to allow him to operate a Pool Hall.

BTW....you burnt up just as much bandwidth by quoting what I wrote instead of just replying!

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An update for anyone who is curious.

I may end up going forward with the idea of not having alcohol. The reason I am contemplating this is because I figured if I'm going to have arcade machines and a separate room for esports events, it should balance out the loss of liquor/beer sales.

My buddies who run their esports organization get on average almost 30-40 players for a Saturday tournament and they can also use it for weekly meet ups. add in that I'm close enough to NYC where there is a big pinball scene and that's another community I can have in my backpocket for revenue.

as for drinks and snacks, I will do what yestercades in new jersey does, mainly vending machines with sodas and snackbars available.

as for location, I may have to end up doing a second floor kind of spot. from my understanding, those tend to pay less rent because of whatever reasons people think. I think I've seen the "not front and center" reason being used.

Anyways, let's see how it goes. Maybe my town will look at it as a fun center more now than a place where vandals get together.