Best table size for the room?

Songman

Registered
I'm still a little confused on selecting the tables for my room. Of course, I'm trying to manage the space layout for a best player's fit. Should I focus on the 9 foot tables or 7 foot tables, or a mix? What's everyone playing on in a typical pool hall for practice, tournaments, wagers, etc?

I can fit more of one and less of another but want to provide a good venue while using some of the floor space for a kitchen to ensure food is available.

a1712

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read about this just the other day.
There's an on-line diagram with room size x table size = perfect fit.

I'll see if I can find it. Got It - http://blattbilliards.com/pooltables/images/roomsizes.pdf

I think the Room he's referring to is a Pool Hall Room not a room in his home.
I believe most leagues, APA, TAP, BCA, NAPA, shoot on 7' tables. So if league hosting might be in your future, that's something to consider. Brian.

Songman

Registered
It seems like Diamond tables are the talk of the town.

Isn't a 7 foot Valley table decent for a room? They are certainly less expensive and less to worry about. I could buy 3-4 of them (with upgrades) for the price of a Diamond 7 foot table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like Diamond tables are the talk of the town.

Isn't a 7 foot Valley table decent for a room? They are certainly less expensive and less to worry about. I could buy 3-4 of them (with upgrades) for the price of a Diamond 7 foot table.
Nothing wrong with Valleys. Diamonds in the last few years have become the gold standard for bb's.

Songman

Registered
And you wonder why I ask?

7 foot tables are great, then LIFD1 says fill the room up with 9 foot tables. Hmmm

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you wonder why I ask?

7 foot tables are great, then LIFD1 says fill the room up with 9 foot tables. Hmmm

About three years ago I had a trip to Ocala. I meet a guy on AZBILLIARDS and arranged some one pocket action. After we played he said for me to try another room with Diamond tables, so I went there. It was such a nice room but only had 9’ Diamonds and it was like a ghost town in there. I only play on 9’ tables but come on, a room needs a mix of 7&9. I sometimes travel to Texas and most of the rooms have 8’ tables. If you don’t get there early the 9’ tables are all taken and the shitty 8 foot side is a Ghost town. Buffalo’s here in New Orleans has a good mix of 7&9.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely a mix of 7's and 9's. The 7's will cater to the regular bar crowd and the league's and the 9's will cater to the old timers in the day time and the bangers and shortstops at night. Where I live there is literally one pool hall with 9' tables and the tables suck and have brown felt but they have a mix of 9s, a few 8's and four 7' Diamonds and they are always busy.

I don't know how many tables you can fit but I would suggest 2 to 4 diamonds, 4 can get you two teams of league per league night.

And you should move here and open a pool hall.

EDIT: I have also heard that Diamond has their own in-house financing. Might want to look at that.