Lights for a home table

Agile

Registered
I am designing and having installed, a lighting system above a pool table in the dining area. I am proposing a 40* light x 3 over the 8'x4' table. The table is 8' below the ceiling and is 2.5' high. So the ceilings are about 10-11' high. By calculations, the 40* light will put a 6.6' spot 2' from the ends of the table and a 6.6' spot in the center of the table.

The requirement is to have 520 lux minimum at the corners and the rails of the table. There is no possibility to have a hanging light as would be normal so the overhead spotlights are required. LED lights are to be installed.

There are several factors:

1. Either PAR 38 or BR40 lights provide 40* angles and higher outputs.
2. The PAR 38 lights have sharp edges whereas the BR lights are more disperse. However, it is desired to have the lighting over the table separate from the room lighting, more for effect. IOW we don't want to light up the neighborhood just to play pool. So there is a shadow consideration for the PAR38 lights.
3. PAR and BR lights are available in 2500 lumens or less and are dimmable. So, a higher output light could be used and then dimmed without having to be concerned about enough light.

So, the question is what light output to choose and which light?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just picked up 3-2'x2' LED panels from Menards for $50 ea. Selectable color temp, 3000k-5000k, dimable with optional dimmer, and 4000 to 4400 lumens ea. Will be building a box with matching rosewood finish to the Diamond 8' table I ordered. Will end up with a 2'x6' light for my 8' table, which should be a lot better than the 3 recessed can lights that I have now. Should be a nice light for $150 when I am finished. Have a full wood shop and all the wood I need.

Agile

Registered
Just picked up 3-2'x2' LED panels from Menards for $50 ea. Selectable color temp, 3000k-5000k, dimable with optional dimmer, and 4000 to 4400 lumens ea. Will be building a box with matching rosewood finish to the Diamond 8' table I ordered. Will end up with a 2'x6' light for my 8' table, which should be a lot better than the 3 recessed can lights that I have now. Should be a nice light for $150 when I am finished. Have a full wood shop and all the wood I need.

So, how high above the table are the panels and what are the three bulbs you weren’t happy with. What was wrong with the light from them?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have 9' ceilings in the basement, and there was one canned light where i set the table originally, and I added one more to the panels on ea side. I have recently changed those out to LED spots, as I like the color temp, and also they are slightly brighter. They're not bad actually, but the 2' wide LED panels should give a much more uniform light out the edges of the table. I probably could have also put 6 canned lights in, spaced out to about a 2 1/2' x 5' spacing, and that would have been fine also. I'm holding off building it for a bit, as I am trying to decide if I need some grill on the bottom of the lights. I'll probably make a box somewhere about 4-5 inches deep, and mount it flush with the dropped ceiling as I really don't like the look of these flat panel lights, just hung from some wires. Great light, but not so great looks that way.

Agile

Registered
Have 9' ceilings in the basement, and there was one canned light where i set the table originally, and I added one more to the panels on ea side. I have recently changed those out to LED spots, as I like the color temp, and also they are slightly brighter. They're not bad actually, but the 2' wide LED panels should give a much more uniform light out the edges of the table. I probably could have also put 6 canned lights in, spaced out to about a 2 1/2' x 5' spacing, and that would have been fine also. I'm holding off building it for a bit, as I am trying to decide if I need some grill on the bottom of the lights. I'll probably make a box somewhere about 4-5 inches deep, and mount it flush with the dropped ceiling as I really don't like the look of these flat panel lights, just hung from some wires. Great light, but not so great looks that way.

Did you ever measure the amount of light from the cans? Curious. Lux light meter pro is a good free one for iPhones. Other questions. What was the lumen output total of the lights you have now? How bad was the light at the corners?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never measured, but old can bulbs were 640 lums, LED's that I have in the cans now, I'm not sure, but I know they were a little brighter, so I would guess around 800 lums ea. Picture looks brighter than it really is.

Attachments

• t lights.jpg
    t lights.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never measured, but old can bulbs were 640 lums, LED's that I have in the cans now, I'm not sure, but I know they were a little brighter, so I would guess around 800 lums ea. Picture looks brighter than it really is.
Not much light probably. Lights are a LONG way from surface.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it is better than it was, I agree the three lights still aren't enough. If I wasn't making this new flat panel light, I probably would have bought some new ceiling tiles, and three more can light fixtures, and then would have had a bank of 6 canned lights, with a spread of about 2 1/2' x 5', and I think that would have been fine. But I had the bug to make a light box, so that is the direction I am taking. Should actually be a lot of light that way, and I plan on adding a dimmer, in case it is too much light.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an update, in case someone hasn't seen my finished light box.

Attachments

• 131329rrr.jpg
    131329rrr.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 338

Agile

Registered
I am designing and having installed, a lighting system above a pool table in the dining area. I am proposing a 40* light x 3 over the 8'x4' table. The table is 8' below the ceiling and is 2.5' high. So the ceilings are about 10-11' high. By calculations, the 40* light will put a 6.6' spot 2' from the ends of the table and a 6.6' spot in the center of the table.

The requirement is to have 520 lux minimum at the corners and the rails of the table. There is no possibility to have a hanging light as would be normal so the overhead spotlights are required. LED lights are to be installed.

There are several factors:

1. Either PAR 38 or BR40 lights provide 40* angles and higher outputs.
2. The PAR 38 lights have sharp edges whereas the BR lights are more disperse. However, it is desired to have the lighting over the table separate from the room lighting, more for effect. IOW we don't want to light up the neighborhood just to play pool. So there is a shadow consideration for the PAR38 lights.
3. PAR and BR lights are available in 2500 lumens or less and are dimmable. So, a higher output light could be used and then dimmed without having to be concerned about enough light.

So, the question is what light output to choose and which light?

OK, so I bit the bullet and went with three 2500 lumen LED's that have a 40* spread. From calculations, I determined that the 40* would light up the ends if they were located over the spots and center but that would put brighter light at the center than the ends so I moved the lights 2" behind the dots. Seeing it now, I should have moved them about 6-8" behind the dots and had about six lights instead of three.

But, it's OK and not a profession parlor table that tournaments will be played on. Keep in mind that I have 10' ceilings and the lights are flush to that. It's a long way up and I measure ~350 lumens on the table. It's actually brighter than some pool bars I have competed at.

Attachments

• IMG_7521.jpeg
    IMG_7521.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 302