Brunswick Metro?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted in the Main forum, but I probably should have posted here first. Did any of you owners install Brunswick Metros when they came out, or for that matter, have any of you used them before? I'd like to know what you think of them.

Thank you.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Most are in Asia.
I don’t think there are any rooms in the US with all Metros.
History of Center Sag.
Middle of the road quality.
Weird shaped top rails cause your eye to pulled off line.
Cost way too much for what it is. (True of all Pool Tables)

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you!

Do you know of anybody I can talk to about the "history of sag" who has had up-close-and-personal experience with it?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you!

Do you know of anybody I can talk to about the "history of sag" who has had up-close-and-personal experience with it?
Never seen or owned one but there is enough out there on this that its probably an issue. I looked at the manual and that frame is not very robust imo and i have no clue who provided the slates other than most likely China since table is made there. I hear all the talk about how popular they are overseas but that is mostly because of price. I'm not impressed at all with how they're made.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen or owned one but there is enough out there on this that its probably an issue. I looked at the manual and that frame is not very robust imo and i have no clue who provided the slates other than most likely China since table is made there. I hear all the talk about how popular they are overseas but that is mostly because of price. I'm not impressed at all with how they're made.

Thanks!

There's a one owner 9 foot table not far from me. In person, the main frame is made of outside members that measure roughly 2 1/2" by 8". The head and foot are laminated of dense core plywood and the long sides are glued-up solids, either beech or birch. The cross members are laminated and full width. The frame bolts together and is mounted to the legs using fabricated steel angled fittings. I didn't see anything written on the slates but I couldn't see all three. Oh, drop pockets.

It's apart, but I think the corner pockets are 4 1/2". It was in a rec room at a marketing company that is downsizing, mostly ignored. It wants new cloth but the cushions "feel" OK.

I tried to negotiate with the owner, but he's stuck on $800.00 with Aramith Super Pros, a cue rack and some misc. cheap sticks.

What do you think?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

There's a one owner 9 foot table not far from me. In person, the main frame is made of outside members that measure roughly 2 1/2" by 8". The head and foot are laminated of dense core plywood and the long sides are glued-up solids, either beech or birch. The cross members are laminated and full width. The frame bolts together and is mounted to the legs using fabricated steel angled fittings. I didn't see anything written on the slates but I couldn't see all three. Oh, drop pockets.

It's apart, but I think the corner pockets are 4 1/2". It was in a rec room at a marketing company that is downsizing, mostly ignored. It wants new cloth but the cushions "feel" OK.

I tried to negotiate with the owner, but he's stuck on $800.00 with Aramith Super Pros, a cue rack and some misc. cheap sticks.

What do you think?
Hell of a price. IIRC those were around 4grand-ish new. For home use i think you'll be fine. At that price you can't really complain at all. Hell, the balls are worth a couple hundred alone.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell of a price. IIRC those were around 4grand-ish new. For home use i think you'll be fine. At that price you can't really complain at all. Hell, the balls are worth a couple hundred alone.

He'll deliver it for $200.00. I'll set it up. Still OK?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He'll deliver it for $200.00. I'll set it up. Still OK?

They are good tables. There is a pool hall in Chicago that has all Metros. I don't like the way they are set up (big pockets and slow cloth) but I haven't noticed any roll or sag on the slate. They seem like they are pretty solid.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a room owner.... I did play on a Metro in a commercial room twice. I think one was actually in Taiwan, the other in the US somewhere, I forget now, it was 10 or 15 years ago. Both played fine to me.

I wonder if some of the claims of frame sag are exaggerated. I heard the same thing about my GC4, that the frame would sag, due to the way the frame end members were attached to the frame long members. I had bought angle iron to reinforce it, as instructed on these forums. When the installers came to deliver my table (used), they said to me not to waste my time with the angle iron. 7 years later, the table still rolls dead straight. I even stand on the thing all the time to take overhead pictures, mess around with the light, camera, etc.