Question on part name GC III

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am missing a part on a GC III that I just acquired. I am curious what the correct part name is. It is a captured steel plate bored and tapped for a 1/2 bolt housed in a mortice in the size rail. There is a block of wood in the other three mortices that captures the steel plate. One mortice was not sealed so the plate fell out.

This is one of two GCIIIs in the storage locker. I had the damn thing in my hands but thought it belonged with the other table and didn 't want to screw the next buyer by taking it. Stupid me..

First pic is of the unsealed mortice in the side rail. 2nd is the one of the sealed ones. On this GCIII the long 1/2" bolt goes through the end rail into the end of the side rail. The assembly pic from the web PDF that I have seen is different for the assembly process. In that doc it shows the end rail going between the two side rails. Not so with this guy.

So what is the proper name for this "Nut Plate". :)

Attachments

• 20200322_210733s.jpg
    20200322_210733s.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 20200322_210748s.jpg
    20200322_210748s.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 135

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot length wise from the end rail down the length of the side rail. Just for perspective.

Attachments

• 20200322_210700s.jpg
    20200322_210700s.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 139

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So what is the proper name for this "Nut Plate". :)

That is what I call it. Similar to the "nut plates" inside the rails. Any machine shop should be able to make you one very easily.

The GC3 frame was changed from the original style, to the end sill "capping" off the side sills. The early GC4's were like that as well and then went back. The ends of the frame can "sag", causing the slate seams to split. I usually only see this or hear of this in commercial setting where people are abusing the tables. Make sure you tighten the ends down very tight! Good luck.

TFT

P.s. you can also use angle iron extended from the side sills and lagged in if you are worried about the ends sagging. Even easier, just use the "liquid dowels" method, aka super gluing the seams to prevent the seams from splittin.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you can also just get a square nut like they used on the older Anniversaries and Centennials. I have yet to pull one of those out of the frame, but I would bet they were used for both applications.
451b008b5eb51537d67bc7032aa29496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk