A way to evaluate a pool stroke?

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was watching a youtube video about free throws and saw this. www.solidshot.com

So after going to their website and seeing this I contacted them and suggested that they create an app for billiards specifically.

I received a very quick response back from someone named Scooter Barry that they are "looking for partners that add value in developing, manufacturing and distributing that particular product."

So some of you app programmers/designers should get in touch with him and see what you can do as I see this arm sleeve being several levels above something like the Q+ or the OB device (to be released). With this you can have the monitors on all major planes of the arm, possibly wrist and can most likely use it to detect speed in addition to good form.

scooter@solidshot.com

I only ask to be a part of the beta and to get a free final version as a "hookup commission". :smile:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely dont have the skills so I posted it here hoping those that do would do something like that. Good on you Skippy, thanks for the response.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scooter Barry sounds like Rick Barry,the Hall-of-Fame NBA Superstar for the Warrior's Son! Rick was one of the Best Basketball Players,and Free Throw Shooters,in History! I've got to check it out. If he has 10% of his Dad's skill,he is a Monster! Two of his Brothers players in the NBA,with one winning the Dunk Contest. I can't wait to see how this applies to a great Pool Stroke.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video Analysis is a great tool for Pool.. Using 3 or more cameras makes it easy to capture the action & play it back in slow motion. Stroke Analyzer has a software kit for $100.00 The cameras are extra.

You can use your own camera & load the video into Kinovea, for some great slow motion results. Kinovea gets real deep into the analytics, if you want to take the next step.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video has to be worth a billion words.

Using video technology, along with a coach or instructor, has to be the greatest way to learn a game like Pool or Golf. We were using video in 1970, at Colonial Country Club, to give lessons on the practice tee. Making it possible for someone to see themselves do physical activity, makes it a hundred times easier to communicate an idea or thought.

Good Luck...

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel this sleeve is much more complex and relevant to the pool stroke then any other product that I have seen.

Skippy has the right idea about getting the company to adapt this product to pool.

It has feedback just like ob. Looks at the swing of the arm, wrist, and shoulder with more accuracy then the camera products.

I am aware of the products pointed out as they have been posted here already.

This sleeve is the most innovative product that I have seen.

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beep. Your stroke is bad. Really? Whats wrong with it? hmmm??? I havent seen or used that slip on gadget, but to me a beep is not good enough information to make it useful. Thats my personal opinion.

I designed and integrated an accelerometer into StrokeAnalyzer. It attaches to the back of the cue. Yes it has a cable. The info obtained can show exactly what the stroke flaw is, as 3 axis of information is acquired. The information is MUCH more detailed than a video. Typical video frame rates are 60 frames per second. That's 1 frame every 17ms. The accelerometer data rate can be as high as every 2msec. Thats 8 times faster. Approaching high speed video rates.

It would be nice to have a wireless connection, but there hasnt been enough interest to justify the effort to make it wireless.

Cheers
Bob

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you could post a video showing the usage of the Stroke Analyzer coupled with the ACCLEROMETER... that would be great to see.

Is the whole setup hooked to a computer. Can you use "mirroring" with the setup, to "have a larger TV screen on the end rail...? That would allow instant visual analysis without moving away from the address position...? Maybe, if an assistant was helping out...?

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beep. Your stroke is bad. Really? Whats wrong with it? hmmm??? I havent seen or used that slip on gadget, but to me a beep is not good enough information to make it useful. Thats my personal opinion.

I designed and integrated an accelerometer into StrokeAnalyzer. It attaches to the back of the cue. Yes it has a cable. The info obtained can show exactly what the stroke flaw is, as 3 axis of information is acquired. The information is MUCH more detailed than a video. Typical video frame rates are 60 frames per second. That's 1 frame every 17ms. The accelerometer data rate can be as high as every 2msec. Thats 8 times faster. Approaching high speed video rates.

It would be nice to have a wireless connection, but there hasnt been enough interest to justify the effort to make it wireless.

Cheers
Bob

I would agree about the beep. It is one of the things about the Q+ I don't like, but it works on a phone so......

It would be great if your accelerometer was Bluetooth, but being I haven't used it I can't say it having a cable is really a downfall either.

I will get and try this when my play money is no longer tied up for other things. It will probably be a few months though.