Cases: Whitten vs. JB

mr5ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned both whitten and JB's. I would say in quality they are about the same and both are top notch. It really comes down to interior. I prefer the JB for the ultra pad. The cues fit very snug and dont move around. The whitten uses tubes. Im not a fan of the tubes. So really comes down to preference for you. You cant really go wrong with either.

cyberrot

Curly Maple Nut
Silver Member
I don't like the "tight" fit tubes. The friction of pulling the butts in and out wears down the finish of the butts.

Dear Tableroll,
I have some questions for your statement.

1. Have you seen a JB Case interior before?
2. Do you have any evidence for the wearing down of the finish of the butts due to the "tight" fit tubes? Please kindly provide some if possible.

Thank you very much.

Looking at buying a new pool case, anyone have any suggestions, I have heard that Whitten and JB make good cases, does anyone know the difference between the two of them (not looking for a butterfly case)

Appreciate your input.

I put my custom cues which cost more than US$1000 in my 4x8 JB Rugged Case and so far the interiors have not affected the finish on my cue butts.

JB Rugged Cases are the best case for daily usage as the nylon material can last very long.

Whitten cases are very well built, nice leather and great stitch work.
The only worry that I have for Whitten cases is the leather exterior, which will wear down easily against the weather elements I encounter here, which is why I chose a JB Case over a Whitten for my daily use case.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I'm a huge fan of Whitten cases. www.whittencases.com
I really like how each cloth lined tube is built size specific for either a shaft or a butt.
While I like & respect JB cases, I'm not a fan of the sack/sleeping bag type sleeves used in them.
I have a Whitten 4x8 case that houses my collectible cues in my gun safe and a 3x6 I use for daily carry.

b9dde0_dc4df49c6b0e4238abea893f19d0d304~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.webp

The exterior storage compartments are awesome, and the hardware is 2nd to none.
The overall construction and craftsmanship is the best I've ever seen.
The Whitten Shoulder Strap & Shoulder Pad is a brilliant design & extremely comfortable

available-now

b9dde0_bdadfb1de16a4a729615d7f2e8797e1f~mv2_d_2448_3264_s_4_2.webp

And if you're into exotic skins or flash customization, there's absolutely no one who does it better.
b9dde0_dd893ec3c45e490895545ed40da1e135.webp

Whitten cases aren't cheap. Joe does all the work, himself, by hand...in other words, he isn't outsourcing it to China and having his name stamped on it.
That being said, the price for the couture workmanship is extremely reasonable (IMHO).
While his cases aren't cheap, like a car, there are countless options so there's a Whitten case to fit every budget.
If you decide you want a Whitten case, the sooner your order, the better.
There have been times where Joe's wait list has been up to a year.
Tough as that may be, I've never heard of him missing a promised time.

For me, I wanted a case that:
1) protected my cues,
2) was functional and user friendly,
3) was durable (I didn't want a case I was going to need to replace every 2 - 3 years)
4) looked good.
For my money a Whitten case does all of these things AND it does it better than any other case I've ever seen.
Given the value my cues have to me, why would I ever cheap-out on what's protecting them?

Joe answers his own phone and is delightful to deal with. He obviously loves what he does and I've always enjoyed speaking with him on the phone. -Z-

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
As long as people have add more names to the bowl of choices.

May I add Dennis Swift as his Cue Case are not a refined as JB's or Joe Whittens, but they are built like a tank, and are made to last.

http://www.casesbyswift.com

A Cue Case is a transportation/storage device for your Cue or Cues, and accessories. It must be first offer good protection. It is like what car to buy, do you have the funds for a Ferrari, Mercedes, Kia, or used Yugo. All will get you from point A to B, but it more fun and exciting to have the be Ferrari.

JMHO

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'm a huge fan of Whitten cases. www.whittencases.com
I really like how each cloth lined tube is built size specific for either a shaft or a butt.
While I like & respect JB cases, I'm not a fan of the sack/sleeping bag type sleeves used in them.

Do you like and respect us? I wonder because below you seemed to take a pretty big shot at us. The sack/sleeping bag interior is engineered to be well padded and protective and is housed inside of a pure resin PVC tube that has been formulated to be crush and break resistant. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware of that.

I have a Whitten 4x8 case that houses my collectible cues in my gun safe and a 3x6 I use for daily carry.
b9dde0_dc4df49c6b0e4238abea893f19d0d304~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.webp

The exterior storage compartments are awesome, and the hardware is 2nd to none.

The pockets are nice. But do they do every type of pocket like we do? No, they don't. Awesome pockets to me are ones that are engineered to help the user to organize their stuff. Our pockets are fully lined with soft fabric that velcro sticks to. We have many accessories that are designed to make the pockets easily organized. Phone holders, elastic bands, organizer trays with velcro dividers, padded jump cue sleeves, padded extension sleeves and more. Whitten cases are awesome but they are lacking in modern functionality.

The overall construction and craftsmanship is the best I've ever seen.
They are excellent at what they do. May I ask how many cases you have built? We have built around 30,000+ since 2008. What construction method does Whitten do that is better than ours? I ask because I have repaired many Whitten cases and while I am impressed by the way they construct the cases I don't personally find that it is better than the way ours are made.

What craftsmanship areas are they better at? I will say stitching for sure. Rarely is a stitch out of place on a Whitten. Other than that what is better than JB Cases?

The Whitten Shoulder Strap & Shoulder Pad is a brilliant design & extremely comfortable
available-now

b9dde0_bdadfb1de16a4a729615d7f2e8797e1f~mv2_d_2448_3264_s_4_2.webp

Um, unless you don't count the slipping-off-the-shoulder part. I see in the picture that the pad is suede which was something Whitten didn't come up with. I did. I was the first to put suede on the shoulder pad to prevent the case from slipping. On top of that our should pad is an ergonomically developed wishbone shape that has been proven to be more comfortable in many other industries where carrying stuff is part of the job. I do agreee that the Whitten shoulder pad is very cushy.

And if you're into exotic skins or flash customization, there's absolutely no one who does it better.
b9dde0_dd893ec3c45e490895545ed40da1e135.webp

No one?

P1080656.jpg

cmd-e-name.jpg

darcy-d-fc.jpg

gillian-g-bigpocket.jpg

butterfly-snake-c-logo.jpg

DSC03386.jpg

my-h-fc.jpg

playhard-b-back.jpg

More: www.https://jbcases.com/casegallery.html

Whitten cases aren't cheap.

Agreed.

Joe does all the work, himself, by hand...in other words, he isn't outsourcing it to China and having his name stamped on it.

And this is where it goes off the rails. Who might you be speaking of here? I can only think of one case maker mentioned in this thread who has a workshop in China where his cases are HANDCRAFTED, BY HAND. Me. Just had to play the "China card" right? I mean I get the nostalgia of buying from a single craftsman. And that Joe does all the work by himself, if true, is VERY IMPRESSIVE. But the implication is that somehow having a workshop in CHINA somehow means that our work is less is kind of the opposite of like and respect for our work.

That being said, the price for the couture workmanship is extremely reasonable (IMHO).

I agree. For the work that goes into a Whitten and the excellent results the cases are reasonable in comparison to other luxury goods.

While his cases aren't cheap, like a car, there are countless options so there's a Whitten case to fit every budget.

Now this is simply NOT TRUE. There is no Whitten 4x8 with three fully lined pockets, backpack straps, a dedicated padded jump cue compartment, super comfy top and side handle, UltraPad padded interior (sack/sleeping bag as you called it), heavy-duty self-healing YKK zippers, and a billion+ color combinations all backed by a lifetime warranty for a $270 budget.

Nor are there countless options. The options are listed on the website and easily countable. For countless options JB Cases offers more than we list. Basically, we operate on the principle that if you can imagine it we can try to build it.

If you decide you want a Whitten case, the sooner your order, the better.
There have been times where Joe's wait list has been up to a year.
Tough as that may be, I've never heard of him missing a promised time.

Someone else mentioned it's 18 months. But there is an option to pay for expedited service to move to the front of the line. We don't offer that. 12-16 weeks is our present estimated delivery time for most orders and we come in on time most of the time.

For me, I wanted a case that:
1) protected my cues,

But one that does not protect as well as a JB Case.

2) was functional and user friendly,

As you should want. JB Cases are objectively user friendlier.

3) was durable (I didn't want a case I was going to need to replace every 2 - 3 years)

Good criteria. Which is why we build cases to Safari Grade construction levels. And back them with a lifetime warranty.

4) looked good.

No argument there, Whitten cases look FANTASTIC. JB Cases look good as well.

For my money a Whitten case does all of these things AND it does it better than any other case I've ever seen.

Yeah, no. I mean I get that this is what you think but for several of your crtieria JB Cases are CLEARLY better. You can certainly spend your money how you want to but you cannot say truthfully that Whitten protects BETTER than JB cases or that they are more comfortable, more durable or more user friendly. We are factually better in those areas.

Given the value my cues have to me, why would I ever cheap-out on what's protecting them?

Good question. In every industry and hobby that uses expensive gear the very best cases are padded and form-fitted. So why would you think that tubes that allow cues to rattle and slide and bang against the side walls with every pothole are better than a padded interior that keeps the cue parts cushioned, restricts excess movement, and which retains the cues in case of accidental inversion is less protective?

Joe answers his own phone and is delightful to deal with. He obviously loves what he does and I've always enjoyed speaking with him on the phone. -Z-

I agree that Joe is a wonderful human. Much better than me. Quiet, classy, second-generation case maker building excellent cases. If I were not making cases, and didn't know what I know now about cue protection then I would be quite happy to be privileged to own a Whitten cases.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
JB, that was from over 4 years ago, and it is just one persons opinion.
Yes I know. The beauty of the internet is that when I find something that is four years old that needs a response I can respond and then from that moment on my response is also part of the conversation. How I got here is by doing a google search on Whitten and this is the first AZB thread that comes up. Which means other people are reading it.

I also understand it is one person's opinion. I still need to answer the points that were made which I feel were in error. Whitten Cases are great cases. And I fully understand the enthusiasm shown in the well-crafted post by DJSTEVE. I just think that a few things were said that required some rebuttal and so I rebutted them.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I owner a Whitten I bough off EBay from Joe Whitten years ago. It was second with small mark you had to search for like SCAR, maybe Cow had rubbed into Barbed Wire.

Whitten was 2x4 Basic Black, construction was great quality, pockets could have been deeper, easier to get stuff in and out if, single Back Strap was too soft, and slippped. Overall it got 8, protecting of Cues was OK. Chrome Stan Leather does not like bumps, it brushes.

Had JBCase Masonite 2 x 4 Vegtable Tan Leather, 2 x 4, 110% better then Whitten. Sold it because I was dumb. Case got 9.5 because of me like better then Whitten.

Now have JBCase 2x4 Rugged Butterfly, like it very will get 9.4 only because it is no Leather.

Think JBCase does more types, styles, offered more options, etc then Joe Whitten.

By what you like, from who you like, and being blunt you can not go wrong with either Case. But I think JBCase offer more Cue Protection with his interiors.

JMHO.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Whitten family from the Palm Harbor, FL area? I remember playing Dan Whitten some one pocket at the old Strokers 20 years ago, is that the guy that made cases?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Watched the video. Who knew I've been taking my cues out the wrong way all this time. Could have used this valuable tidbit four years ago, invert and dump. Brilliant.
It's how we all do it.

Walk up to the table, invert, dump, walk off camera, zip case, realize case is already zipped, insert self deprecating joke, talk about quality.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Watched the video. Who knew I've been taking my cues out the wrong way all this time. Could have used this valuable tidbit four years ago, invert and dump. Brilliant.
Would be quicker right? Of course you don't do it that way. But you're a liar if you claim that you have never seen a person tipping their case to get the contents to slide out enough to grip.

And if you think no one has ever accidentally dumped cues out of a non-padded case you would be very wrong.

Joint protectors don't exist because of padded interiors.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's how we all do it.

Walk up to the table, invert, dump, walk off camera, zip case, realize case is already zipped, insert self deprecating joke, talk about quality.
Trying to start a trend. Not sure what you mean about walk off camera. The only off camera was picking up the sticks that flew out of the black case.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Do you like and respect us? I wonder because below you seemed to take a pretty big shot at us.
Have you been drinking? He simply gave his personal preferences. He didn't take any shots and even said he liked and respected JB Cases. Just that after considering design, aesthetics, and functionality, he felt that Whitten offered the best combination as a whole for him.
The pockets are nice. But do they do every type of pocket like we do? Our pockets are.....
I don't recall him saying they did but it seems you were grasping at straws for an excuse to try to plug the features of your product and bash a competitor as you did repeatedly throughout your post. Just as there are some things that are objectively and/or subjectively better about JB cases, there are things about Whitten cases that are objectively and/or subjectively better as well. There are clearly strong pros and cons to cases from either company which is why on net one reasonable person might prefer one and another reasonable person might prefer the other depending on which particular things they value most.
What construction method does Whitten do that is better than ours?
He mentioned the stitching, which you agreed were objectively and subjectively better, and he also mentioned preferring the individual lined tubes for each butt and shaft. The individual tubes are absolutely objectively better in a number of ways (and not as good in some others), and they are also subjectively better to many people (but not to others) as well. It just doesn't happen to be your personal preference according to the way you value the various pros and cons of the individual tubes which is clearly different than the way he values the various pros and cons of the individual tubes.

While he didn't mention them, there are plenty of other ways that Whitten cases are both objectively and subjectively better than JB cases too so don't play like there isn't (and again vice versa is also true). Both are good products each with their own pros and cons that will appeal to different people according to their personal preferences and needs.
I see in the picture that the pad is suede which was something Whitten didn't come up with. I did. I was the first to put suede on the shoulder pad to prevent the case from slipping.
And Whitten was the first for some of their things too. And you did and still do use lots of features that were first done by others. So what. And while it changed in later years, honestly you were less innovative than most for a long while.
I can only think of one case maker mentioned in this thread who has a workshop in China where his cases are HANDCRAFTED, BY HAND. Me. Just had to play the "China card" right?
There are lots of good reasons to buy something made in the USA over something made in China, and there are some good reasons to go the other way at times too. Again, it all depends on what each individual person values but to play like there aren't some really good reasons to buy American over Chinese, and lots of them, is being incredibly insincere.
I mean I get the nostalgia of buying from a single craftsman.
Yep, lots of people value that quite highly, and that could have been the only thing he was considering so why knock him?
But the implication is that somehow having a workshop in CHINA somehow means that our work is less is kind of the opposite of like and respect for our work.
I think it is reading into it a bit much to see that implication here. For him it could have only been about knowing exactly who was making his case and that it was only being made by a single craftsman.

On a side note, while it may or may not be the actual case here, the odds do in fact very clearly say that you are more likely to get a quality product from a single American craftsman with decades of experience whose name is on the company and whose livelihood directly depends on it than you would from a group of random paid Chinese workers with no personal stake and who likely have much less than decades of experience.
Someone else mentioned it's 18 months. But there is an option to pay for expedited service to move to the front of the line. We don't offer that. 12-16 weeks is our present estimated delivery time for most orders and we come in on time most of the time.
DJSTEVEZ mentioned that he has never heard of Whitten missing a deadline. I haven't either, but of course I don't know that it hasn't happened and would be seriously impressed if it never has. To be fair and paint a more accurate picture than you did above though, what I do know is that your company has quite a reputation (with tons of public accounts) of missing deadlines, often by very lengthy margins, as well as ignoring/missing/misplacing orders, along with inexcusably having some of the worst communication imaginable (including ignoring all communication from people about their orders for prolonged periods of time), all of which you've admitted to and don't dispute.
But one that does not protect as well as a JB Case.
Actually in some ways the Whitten with the individual pvc tubes protects better. For example, if your case was propped up against something and a fat guy fell on it, or if it were run over by a car, the added protection from the additional individual tubes in the Whitten would structurally be far superior it would seem.

But those things aren't very likely to happen you might say. You know what else isn't very likely to happen? Somebody accidentally or intentionally turning your case over upside down with the lid open to dump your cues. It may even be more likely to get stepped on or fallen on or run over than dumped upside down while open. To say yours protects better as a blanket statement is just incorrect. It protects better at some things, and not as well at others, and for that reason reasonable people could prefer one over the other according to their needs and preferences.
JB Cases are objectively user friendlier.
Also not true. They are much more of a pain to get your cues into and out of for many people as an example.
I agree that Joe is a wonderful human. Much better than me.
And that is an incredibly important criteria for many people when it comes to who they would like to give their business to.
If I were not making cases, and didn't know what I know now about cue protection then I would be quite happy to be privileged to own a Whitten cases.
Translation: only someone without much knowledge would buy a Whitten over my case. That simply isn't true though. They each have their very strong pros and cons, many of which having been mentioned in this thread, and each of the cases has more than their share of very knowledgeable people that prefer them as a result.
How I got here is by doing a google search on Whitten and this is the first AZB thread that comes up.
Were you just searching for a thread where you could try to bash one of your biggest competitors and/or shamelessly pitch your cases to try to get sales, or what was the purpose for that search? Just curious.
Whitten Cases are great cases. And I fully understand the enthusiasm shown in the well-crafted post by DJSTEVE. I just think that a few things were said that required some rebuttal and so I rebutted them.
I can't know your intent but due to your wording and the way you went about it it didn't come across that way, at least to me. It came across as you finding an excuse to be able to try to trash one of your competitors, and an excuse to advertise and shamelessly plug your own product with a thinly disguised long sales pitch to try to get some sales.