Getting wild 7 on 7' diamond vs 9' diamond

newby9

Registered
600 fargo getting wild 7 from a 700 fargo. For the cash, am I, the 600, better off on the 7' or 9' diamond pro cut. I can see advantages to both, better chance of break and run on 7', but more opportunities at the table on a 9'. I know there are a lot of factors. Just looking for general thoughts assuming both players are equally comfortable on both.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The seven is worth more on a 9-foot
...and the tighter the table, the more it’s worth

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Absolutely!! The seven on the barbox may not EVER matter(a 700 fargo is gonna run out alot and the seven is rarely gonna show up) not the case on the big table,and, as you said the tighter the better,if you are the one getting the weight! That seven can get HEAVY!

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
600 fargo getting wild 7 from a 700 fargo. For the cash, am I, the 600, better off on the 7' or 9' diamond pro cut. I can see advantages to both, better chance of break and run on 7', but more opportunities at the table on a 9'. I know there are a lot of factors. Just looking for general thoughts assuming both players are equally comfortable on both.

The tougher the table, the more the 7 ball is worth. Therefore, the 7 is worth more on a big table.

Rusty C

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The 7 ball is a bigger spot on a bar table with big pockets.The tighter pockets always favors the better player.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 7 ball is a bigger spot on a bar table with big pockets.The tighter pockets always favors the better player.

You are disagreeing with all three other posters. Don't you think the onus is on you to invite them to consider your reasoning--perhaps something they are not taking into account?

Do you agree that on a given table the 7-ball is a smaller spot as the players get better and better (smaller for pros than for average league players)?

If you agree, then do you also agree that going to easier equipment for a given pair of players is similar to the players getting better on the original equipment? That is both players have higher run lengths in both cases.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So harder conditions make a spot worth more, which favors the weaker player?

I think harder conditions generally favor (make less difference to) the better player.

So maybe the two effects balance out...?

pj <- clueless
chgo

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
On the smaller table, the 7 will be easier to drop in a carom or combo by the stronger player, eliminating the spot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So harder conditions make a spot worth more, which favors the weaker player?

I think harder conditions generally favor (make less difference to) the better player.

So maybe the two effects balance out...?

pj <- clueless
chgo

I’ve got a lot of empirical evidence that tough conditions favor the spottee, not the spottor.
....on a run-out table, a lot of times, the spot balls are irrelevant.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I’ve got a lot of empirical evidence that tough conditions favor the spottee, not the spottor.
....on a run-out table, a lot of times, the spot balls are irrelevant.

Truth.

I was playing my lady, who knows her way around a table, in a race to nine. She gave serious weight.

I won the first three, then asked if she wanted to adjust.
She shook her head no. I broke dry. Never shot again.

"...on a run-out table, a lot of times, the spot balls are irrelevant."

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that a 600 fargo against a 700 fargo is pretty much an even game on the seven footer giving up the seven ball but the 700 has the edge on the nine footer. When I was on my game years ago I would prefer giving up the seven on the nine footer. Years of experience talking here.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that a 600 fargo against a 700 fargo is pretty much an even game on the seven footer giving up the seven ball but the 700 has the edge on the nine footer. When I was on my game years ago I would prefer giving up the seven on the nine footer. Years of experience talking here.

I agree with dabarbr on this!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matching up is a very important part of the process
as a rule when playing better players with a spot,it is or has been
understood that tougher tight tables slow down the better player thus making the handicap more powerful

However I have found in one pocket that against very good players that I prefer
bigger pockets for 2 reasons
I play much better on loose equipment

2 good players are playing good on tough pockets anyway

they not only bank and run out on tight equipment but they dig balls out of my pocket that they can not do on 5inch pockets

so as a rule,i think that when matching up i consider what my strengths are and
play on favorable equipment

ie if you play bad on a 9 foot,the 7 won't help you
if you are really good on a bar box and the 7 provides a little boost
then play on the bar box

i have no idea what these ratings mean,but great players run multiple racks at 9 ball and the 7 isn't what it used to be

my rule of thumb when playing better players is,never let them break because if
they do it is almost impossible to win

newby9

Registered
Thany you everyone for some great responses. That is exactly what I was hoping for. I have been breaking even on the 7' in this situation. I will ask to match up on the 9' and see how it goes.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 700 will be much more comfortable on the 9 footer than the 600. Bigger advantage so if you break even on 7 ft i think you will be loser on the 9 ft.