(#91)
z0nt0n3r
AzB Silver Member
z0nt0n3r is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

07-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRobbins View Post
The shot line is the shot line and remains that way until the balls are moved. Your either on that line or not, obviously not and you already know this.

Try taking some yard string or something similar that won't damage the table to create the shot line between the rail to cue ball and cue ball to object ball. Creating a visual that you can physically see as your stepping into the shot. I've never done this, but has helped some others.
Stand back, view the shot line, step into the shot/shot line and get down on that line with your tip just barely touching the cue ball. Don't shoot the ball, stand up and repeat. Repetitions.

You want to find that stance/alignment that gets you on that line and drill that into your subconscious afterwards. If you simply can't get on that line, I'd seek instruction from a reputable stroke instructor at this point. The more knowledge, the better. Good luck

One thing that I always liked to do, is put a spot of some kind/marker in the center of the corner pocket. I always used a pocket reducer, the center of the rolled wire is perfectly centered in the pocket. After striking the cue ball, I'm visualizing my tip following/blasting through the cue ball, object ball and center pocket.
thanks,good idea to try out.

Old
  (#92)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2019, 01:40 PM

Your videos show you trying to pocket a straight shot.

In golf there is a concept called "ball bound."

The theory was that golfers simply have to swing the club through impact on line. Once the head is on the path the next step was simply to put a ball on the target line and forget about it. In theory the player simply repeats the original clubhead trajectory and the ball gets in the way traveling as intended.

Theory is one thing but reality is another. Using wearable brain scan sensors they found that with players of all skill levels, that once the ball is put down the brain senses the difference and it shows in the scans.

Too often in pool, players get ball bound in a different way. They become fixated on the cue ball and its center. Not only is it in their immediate line of sight, but it appears large there. That fixation comes at a cost. It raises its importance and when our focus falls on it, other relevant details are missed. The face of the ball and it’s center cause our mindset to become "bound" to the ball face.

In response to this knowledge a simple strategy with multiple uses was found. Once the cue line is set from the hand, through the cue ball centerline, to the object, you should be able to look anywhere. By choosing to focus on impact a new perspective emerges. The front of the ball, not the face is what makes contact with the object ball center. Following the cue line through the cue ball we can sense where the target line exits the front of the cue ball. That point of exit is the actual surface point that must contact the object ball center, on a straight shot, to pocket the ball.

Several things are observed when using that visual when shooting. There becomes a felt connection between the contact points. The cue never stops on contact with the face when focus is on the front, so there is natural through the ball tip travel.

The biggest benefit to me has been that since the face of the ball is often obstructed by the rail or other balls, the front of the ball is not. Once you get comfortable with straight in shots focusing on the front rather than the face, the front becomes a secondary way to sense shots. If the cueing line through center ball is sensed as allowing the contact points to connect and send the object ball to target, the "second opinion" raises your comfort and confidence in the chosen cue line. Certainty of outcome is huge. When you feel it, results will be there, too.

The face of the ball is not there when the cue ball is on the rail. The front of the ball is still available and once you get used to using it the rail shots are much easier.

Last edited by Imac007; 07-03-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Old
  (#93)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
Your videos show you trying to pocket a straight shot.

In golf there is a concept called "ball bound."

The theory was that golfers simply have to swing the club through impact on line. Once the head is on the path the next step was simply to put a ball on the target line and forget about it. In theory the player simply repeats the original clubhead trajectory and the ball gets in the way traveling as intended.

Theory is one thing but reality is another. Using wearable brain scan sensors they found that with players of all skill levels, that once the ball is put down the brain senses the difference and it shows in the scans.

Too often in pool, players get ball bound in a different way. They become fixated on the cue ball and its center. Not only is it in their immediate line of sight, but it appears large there. That fixation comes at a cost. It raises its importance and when our focus falls on it, other relevant details are missed. The face of the ball and itís center cause our mindset to become "bound" to the ball face.

In response to this knowledge a simple strategy with multiple uses was found. Once the cue line is set from the hand, through the cue ball centerline, to the object, you should be able to look anywhere. By choosing to focus on impact a new perspective emerges. The front of the ball, not the face is what makes contact with the object ball center. Following the cue line through the cue ball we can sense where the target line exits the front of the cue ball. That point of exit is the actual surface point that must contact the object ball center, on a straight shot, to pocket the ball.

Several things are observed when using that visual when shooting. There becomes a felt connection between the contact points. The cue never stops on contact with the face when focus is on the front, so there is natural through the ball tip travel.

The biggest benefit to me has been that since the face of the ball is often obstructed by the rail or other balls, the front of the ball is not. Once you get comfortable with straight in shots focusing on the front rather than the face, the front becomes a secondary way to sense shots. If the cueing line through center ball is sensed as allowing the contact points to connect and send the object ball to target, the "second opinion" raises your comfort and confidence in the chosen cue line. Certainty of outcome is huge. When you feel it, results will be there, too.

The face of the ball is not there when the cue ball is on the rail. The front of the ball is still available and once you get used to using it the rail shots are much easier.
Nice post. Thanks

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Old
  (#94)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2019, 03:46 PM

Appreciate the acknowledgement. Thanks for taking time to read and post.

Page 7 of 7 « First 567

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: