R.I.P. George "The Polish Prince" Pawalski

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just informed that George passed away this morning. Another great player and teacher of the game has left us. Rest in peace George.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the good guys is gone but never forgotten...

George etched his legacy with many players including myself.

When I was 18 years old and went down to racine. It was my first road trip.

There was George. I played him for $20 a rack and hardly got to shoot before I lost $200 and quit.

I sat back and said to myself, that's how I want to play.

George sincerely loved the game and so many players that took lessons from George definitely got their moneys worth.

One of my most respected pool players in the world.

Not only was he a great ambassador for the game but during his prime he didn't have to take a back door to anyone in the world.

I will never forget The Polish Prince. Sir George.

May you rest in peace my Friend.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George, even though he was already in his last days, made the tremendous effort to drive down from Wisconsin to attend Freddy the Beard's wake last week, in Chicago. George was always going the extra mile! RIP Mr. Pawelski.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rest in peace my friend. What a beautiful game of pool you played! I loved watching you glide around the table, so purposeful and focused. You were part of a premier generation of players from that small area of Wisconsin. You, George Brunt, Jeff Carter and Willie Munson could make it tough on anyone who came through there. I know a lot of good players who came back to Ohio with their tale between their legs.

George, not only did you play good, you were a great sportsman as well. I don't think I ever heard you raise your voice. Thanks for being such a good example to other players. I'm going to miss you buddy, just like the others who have preceded you in passing. Our generation spawned so many good players, and the USA was dominant in pool back then. I'm not sure what happened but I'm glad I was there to see all of you play.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, sad to hear this. I just saw pics of him attending Harold Worst's funeral a month ago, and I guess more recently Freddy's as well.

I grew up in Racine, had the pleasure of playing with George, Sailor, Willie Munson, etc. as I was coming up. I played 3 cushion with George whenever I could, we golfed together, and of course ran into each other occasionally in pool tourneys here and there.

He had a unique, beautiful, and powerful stroke not to mention a tremendous amount of knowledge and insight into the game. I never saw him get mad or disrespect the game or any one he was playing against. I know he had some health issues a few years ago just before I last saw him, and heard some more recently as well, I can only assume it caught up to him. He will definitely be missed.

Scott

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, sad to hear this. I just saw pics of him attending Harold Worst's funeral a month ago, and I guess more recently Freddy's as well.

I grew up in Racine, had the pleasure of playing with George, Sailor, Willie Munson, etc. as I was coming up. I played 3 cushion with George whenever I could, we golfed together, and of course ran into each other occasionally in pool tourneys here and there.

He had a unique, beautiful, and powerful stroke not to mention a tremendous amount of knowledge and insight into the game. I never saw him get mad or disrespect the game or any one he was playing against. I know he had some health issues a few years ago just before I last saw him, and heard some more recently as well, I can only assume it caught up to him. He will definitely be missed.

Scott

Yea George loved his golf. I had the pleasure of going to Beggars Pizza with him when we bumped into each other at a Red Shoes Bank Tournament about two years ago. We were both watching Freddy in the tournament so George and I decided to go for pizza. He spoke of his love for golf and his desire to go to California to see Pebble Beach. He loved pizza, pool and golf equally. When we left Beggars and went back to Red Shoes Freddy was still playing the same match, George got a kick out of that. He told me that day of his health issues but was very content and super happy to go for pizza! Great guy!!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The first time I seen George was in the 90s.
The first thing I noticed was that his feet were too close to the cue-ball
for my liking....but I wasn't surprised when he showed to be a great player
because that was Bobby Leggs' stance also, and he was very good.
It might've taken a Harold Worst to hang with George in an all-round.

And George deserved the appellation 'Polish Prince'...he conducted
himself like royalty.

I didn't know he played golf, we had a good talk, but it would've been even
better with golf in the mix.

Rest in peace, George

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Player and friend

A Memorial Service celebrating George's life will be held on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 2:00 pm in the Draeger-Langendorf Funeral Home with Rev. Mark Jones officiating. Military honors will follow. Visitation will be in the funeral home on Sunday from 12 noon - 2 pm. In memory of George, memorials to ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have been suggested.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met George in the late 60's. I was never in his league. When I got back into pool in 2006 we reconnected.
I only played him twice for grins. First time he put his cue together and ran 90 plus balls. Second time same thing. After that we just talked or I listened when he had something to say.
I've known he was sick for the past 4 or 5 years. He went through every treatment known to man. Never once did he complain.
The treatments he received would have put a elephant down and yet he kept on showing up to play. Even went golfing.

He was one very tough man. He well be missed.