How would you shoot this shot.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Two balls frozen to the rail.
The 9 ball needs to go to the top corner pocket.
How would you shot this shot.

Attachments

• 20190203_090521~01[1].jpg
    20190203_090521~01[1].jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 552
  • 20190203_090531~01[1].jpg
    20190203_090531~01[1].jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 539

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you mean the straight-down-the-rail shot...

You want to avoid making the CB hop and bounce away from the rail, so a slow to medium natural roll. No "get-in English" or other unnecessary complications.

I don't think this is really an aiming question.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two balls frozen to the rail.
The 9 ball needs to go to the top corner pocket.
How would you shot this shot.
from dr dave
First of all, to have the OB hug the rail, a very accurate hit is required. Also, the cushion must be true, with no bumps or waves. Also, the faster you hit the shot, the more the CB will bounce due to the cue elevation required for the cue to clear the head rail. When the CB bounces off the table, it will deflect off the nose of the cushion some away from the rail since part of the CB is actually under the nose of the cushion when it is frozen to the rail. For demonstrations, see the video below.

One option to improve accuracy on a shot like this is to hit it as softly as possible to minimize how much the CB hops. Another option is to use a touch of inside english (with the right cue elevation for the given shot speed) to squirt the CB away from the cushion and have it swerve back toward the rail. And if the CB doesn't quite swerve back enough, spin-induced throw helps straighten the OB. All options and approaches, along with example game-situation shots are demonstrated in the following videos that include a clip from Vol. V of the Video Encyclopedia of Nine-ball and Ten-ball (VENT):
https://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/rail_cut_shots.html

https://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/rail_cut_shots.html

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I’d Jack up and bank the pass over to the top left just to be an ass then proclaim you should have been more specific lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro