New to 14.1

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I've been playing pool seriously for about seven years. In that time I've Lways played nine ball, a few sessions of eight ball, and in the last year have been playing ten ball ring games whenever possible. I've never played straight pool before and want to learn. I understand the concept, but not the particulars. How to start the game for example. Are there fouls? Ball in hand? So on and so on. Would appreciate any help, or links where I could find this help. Feel free to include equipment preferences

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing pool seriously for about seven years. In that time I've Lways played nine ball, a few sessions of eight ball, and in the last year have been playing ten ball ring games whenever possible. I've never played straight pool before and want to learn. I understand the concept, but not the particulars. How to start the game for example. Are there fouls? Ball in hand? So on and so on. Would appreciate any help, or links where I could find this help. Feel free to include equipment preferences

Here are the WPA rules governing 14.1 Continuous or, as it's informally known, Straight Pool:http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=119&pagetype=rules

Equipment, table at least 4 x 8, preferably 4 1/2 x 9. Not sure what else you want to know.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just play a LOT of straight pool. When you miss, rerack them and start over. You start to recognize the patterns and more importantly you start to recognize the types of ball/situations that will end your runs.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member

Great to read another player is trying straight pool. Now you're playing serious pool! :)

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a ton of straight pool matches on You Tube you can watch to get an idea of how the game is played. Just make sure you're watching a match and not some one just running balls. The runs are good too but you will get a better feel for the game by watching the matches.

Welcome to the world of straight pool.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I Dont think its out of print.

I spoke to phil a few weeks ago, and it seems he has them in his fulfillment center !!!

-Steve

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Its back in print again. When it was out of print, no one had it and sellers on Amazon were asking up to $75.

I Dont think its out of print.

I spoke to phil a few weeks ago, and it seems he has them in his fulfillment center !!!

-Steve

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I played last night for about three hours, and I don't think I ran one rack without a miss. This is a seriously challenging game. Getting position for your breaker ball is harder than calculus. I'm going to stay with it and hopefully will be posting the vid of my 100 ball run.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. I played last night for about three hours, and I don't think I ran one rack without a miss. This is a seriously challenging game. Getting position for your breaker ball is harder than calculus. I'm going to stay with it and hopefully will be posting the vid of my 100 ball run.

LuckyStroke:

You don't have to wait for a 100-ball run before posting a video. One of the great things about this forum is that you can feel free to post videos of lesser runs, and folks are kind enough here to lend you suggestions on how to better play the patterns, pick a better break ball (and key ball to that break ball, for that matter), fundamentals, etc.

We're just thankful to get any video here, and folks genuinely enjoy lending a helpful hand.

-Sean

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I need help in general I think. I break needs work, patterns and position need work. Several times after the break last night I looked at the table and said "that sucks". I'll tak a vid the next time I play some and look for some suggestions. Thanks guys, hard to find straight pool players in this town.

Ben

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
I recently took a lesson from Max Eberle and he opened my eyes to a lot of things i was doing wrong for years and never knew about and since i corrected them, i can see improvement.
I have been playing straights since im a kid and my high is a pathetic 30 balls but lately i have been going into the 20,s more and more. I think its only a matter of time before i reach the mark of 50 which is a realistic goal for myself.
Its a great great game and i dont care how much one pocket or nine ball or whatever everyone else plays or touts, this will always be number one with me. It shows you who you are without the luck factor, good, bad or mediocre.
The one thing i have noticed is my runs always seem to end on a lack of concentration with me, i take a shot for granted and dont bear down and it bites me in the ass, every time. If i can focus more consistently i know i can do better, just got to train the mind, lol.
Like these guys said : Get Phils book and watch the matches on youtube , can definetly learn lots.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Welcome to straight pool, a game that can give you years of good times.

If the opportunity presents itself, try to attend the World 14.1 tourney at Steinway Billiards in Queens, NY, August 19-24. Then, you'd see how it's done by the stars fo the game.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
14.1 the Best

Ben, good to hear that you are liking the game of 14.1
It is the Best & will help you play other games better within the Sport of Pocket Billiards. All comments above are great. Good advice, stick with it, it will lead to good things for you.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accustats has some good 14.1 videos with commentary from experts. Like most things the more you play the easier it will get.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If the opportunity presents itself, try to attend the World 14.1 tourney at Steinway Billiards in Queens, NY, August 19-24. Then, you'd see how it's done by the stars fo the game.
And, since he's in Virginia, he may be able to see the Maryland State Championship which has developed into quite a showcase for the top players.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Thank you!

Thanks guys for all the helpful suggestions. Practiced again, only this time if I missed I re-racked and started over. Needless to say it broke my spirit yet again. After two hours I decided I was moving backwards and decided to switch to ten ball. I ran a three pack and felt good about myself again(Ha!). This game is tough! I will keep at it studying all the things you guys are suggesting

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Still going!

I went and played some Tuesday night and I actually ran a sevevteen. My challenge has been landing on the breaker ball and making the shot to break. I ran out three balls broke and ran then missed the break shot. I almost felt like I was playing the game!! Very challenging game, loving it!

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member