Snooker in the St. Louis area

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I am looking for someone that would be willing to play some snooker at Cue and Cushion in Overland Missouri. (near St. Louis)

I'm a very inexperienced snooker player, only played a few games so far. But I would like to give it another try with someone who is already familiar with the game. So if you don't mind playing a newbie and occasionally answering a few questions I would be willing to pay for the table time for your effort.

I don't live in that area so let me know a week or two ahead of time if you want to play.

lucasi1

Registered
I visit the big city 'bout every other month. I've been to Cue & Cushion before and yes they do have 1 snooker table. Not sure of your area, but there's also a table on the Illinois side (Edwardsville) which is where I primarily visit. Don't have any definite plans at the moment, but do have family there, and likely be headed there sometime in the next 4 weeks. Might work out whereby we can get together. Haven't played snooker for sometime myself. (Favorite game)

Miller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visit the big city 'bout every other month. I've been to Cue & Cushion before and yes they do have 1 snooker table. Not sure of your area, but there's also a table on the Illinois side (Edwardsville) which is where I primarily visit. Don't have any definite plans at the moment, but do have family there, and likely be headed there sometime in the next 4 weeks. Might work out whereby we can get together. Haven't played snooker for sometime myself. (Favorite game)

where is the table in edwardsville?

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...there's also a table on the Illinois side (Edwardsville) which is where I primarily visit....

If you are certain about the table in Edwardsville, you should report it to the guy that does the "www.findsnooker.com" website. Here is a link to the appropriate Illinois page:

http://www.findsnooker.com/Illinois.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page to see instructions for submitting information. If possible, you should submit name of the venue, website and/or address/phone number if possible, and size and condition of the table. FindSnooker is an invaluable resource for people who travel a bit and are interested in having a game wherever they go so information from the national snooker community is greatly appreciated.

lucasi1

Registered
Not sure what type of listing qualifies for Illinois tables, but if your looking for a place to play... the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) Morris University Center has a billiard room downstairs. 9" Gold Crowns with a 10' snooker table, all in excellent condition. (My daughter graduated a few years ago) I've hit balls there a few times, and the tables play very well. Nice place to play and they only charge something like $3/hr or so. No real pool action, just kids having fun, but it is a nice, clean room with good equiptment. Snooker table sits empty most of the time.

As for tables, the University of Illinois Union has one as well. They too have 9" Gold Crowns with a 10' snooker and 10' billiard table. Pool tables and billiard table see action, while the snooker table sits. But I must say, snooker table needs new rails. They seem dead to me, and have been that way for several years. No one plays, so I guess they don't care.

For both facilities, parking can be a pain. As for the rooms, SIUE is nicer then U of I.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Not sure what type of listing qualifies for Illinois tables, but if your looking for a place to play... the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) Morris University Center has a billiard room downstairs. 9" Gold Crowns with a 10' snooker table, all in excellent condition. (My daughter graduated a few years ago) I've hit balls there a few times, and the tables play very well. Nice place to play and they only charge something like $3/hr or so. No real pool action, just kids having fun, but it is a nice, clean room with good equiptment. Snooker table sits empty most of the time.

As for tables, the University of Illinois Union has one as well. They too have 9" Gold Crowns with a 10' snooker and 10' billiard table. Pool tables and billiard table see action, while the snooker table sits. But I must say, snooker table needs new rails. They seem dead to me, and have been that way for several years. No one plays, so I guess they don't care.

For both facilities, parking can be a pain. As for the rooms, SIUE is nicer then U of I.

I think I remember hearing about the SIUE table. I found a description:

"Bowling and Billiards – Morris University Center is home to Cougar Lanes and features 16 bowling lanes complete with the latest in automatic scoring and cosmic lighting. The billiards and the table tennis area feature championship quality tables. The arcade area has a wide selection of video games. For more information, call (618) 650-5263 (LANE)."

http://www.siue.edu/search/pdf/green-pages-directory.pdf

Web page for Cougar Lanes:
http://www.siue.edu/muc/cougarlanes.pdf.shtml

And cosmic lighting? Are the billiard tables located far enough away from that?

The pool hall at Illinois used to be bigger, but they moved the tables into an extension of the bowling alley a while back. A while ago I found a photo of the old room online, which I posted in this thread:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3244284#post3244284

I was in Kansas City, MO in December and January and had just a little bit of time to play pool and snooker. At the time I took some notes about which pool halls had snooker tables, and which had sold them, but I still need to follow up and update the website.

I'd appreciate any help identifying tables in Missouri or Illinois. My time to edit the website is a bit limited these days, but if you can send me an email via the website I'll post changes as soon as I can.

Last edited:

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I am looking for someone that would be willing to play some snooker at Cue and Cushion in Overland Missouri. (near St. Louis)

I'm a very inexperienced snooker player, only played a few games so far. But I would like to give it another try with someone who is already familiar with the game. So if you don't mind playing a newbie and occasionally answering a few questions I would be willing to pay for the table time for your effort.

I don't live in that area so let me know a week or two ahead of time if you want to play.

We do have quite a few people that play snooker but they usually bring someone with them in to our place. Feel free to put your email or something on our bulletin board and maybe you can find someone that way. I know I do have occasional people ask me if I know people who play. Good luck!

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
love to give you a game ( English league player for over 30 years )
visiting the USA early April with the misses but visiting NYC and Las Vegas

lucasi1

Registered
Yes, at the U of I they moved the tables few years ago. I agree, the old area was better. Now there's lot more arcade noise and commotion close by. Haven't been there in a year or two, but the ol' Professor still knocking around the billard table and talking every minute. (Same table, same jokes 40 years. He never plays pool, only 3 rail. Doesn't want any real competition, either. Likes students to watch and listen) Tables were recently redone by Neilsen's from Springfield. Have not played on them, but they do excellent work. Said they worked on the snooker table and rails as well. I look forward to playing but haven't made it there yet.

Cue and Cushion table nice place to play. Only been there couple of times, but nice equiptment with friendly, clean atmosphere. I believe snooker table to be 10' and play very well. Recommend this to anyone looking to play in the St Louis area.

At the SIUE facility, the bowling lanes are nearby with glass panels separating the two areas. My experience has been no problems with noise or lighting. They keep doors shut, but they do play music over the PA system which probably drowns out some of it.

Of these three locations, I prefer Cue and Cushion, SIUE and U of I... in that order. No offense to anyone, just stating my experiences and preferences as someone who enjoys the game of snooker.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Yes, at the U of I they moved the tables few years ago. I agree, the old area was better. Now there's lot more arcade noise and commotion close by. Haven't been there in a year or two, but the ol' Professor still knocking around the billard table and talking every minute. (Same table, same jokes 40 years. He never plays pool, only 3 rail. Doesn't want any real competition, either. Likes students to watch and listen)

Is Mary still there at the desk? She'd told me that for the longest time she figured Old Man (as we called him) was just a member of the staff, maybe a janitor or something.

I'm relieved he's still around, at least as of a year or two ago. I haven't seen Professor Marchand for over a decade, but took a few photos of him playing then, and of course applying Illegal Body English. I'm not sure if he still does trick shots, but when I was at Illinois in the early 90s he could be prompted to shoot some doozies.

I took two classes with him--he was a brilliant teacher, and had a different set of jokes in class (including some spontaneous ones, believe it or not). There are quite a few amusing stories by him and about him that extend outside the pool hall.

I have this vague memory coaxing Old Man to play banks once. He played crossover banks and a variety of oddities.

It was an innocuous comment Old Man made in class that led me to adopt the pseudonym and user name Rethunk: "You don't really understand something until you've rethunk it."

Last edited:

lucasi1

Registered
Live and work not far from Champaign. Played at the Union in the late 70's. (Worked nights at Carle) Jeff was the daily man at the counter. He'd be around 60 by now. Mostly students hanging out... hittin' balls... but there were a few of us non-students who were 'regulars' who could play. Those in school would come and go, but we were like clocks on the wall. Our faces were there every winter.

I only remember few students. In particular, names of Cusik and Ross. If memory is correct, Big Ten and Illinois had teams back then, and these two played, and were successful. I played them often, but they left and I have no idea whatever became of them.

At this time, there was always someone on the 2 billiard tables. In paticular was the ol' man called The Professor. Never knew his name or even if he was a 'real' professor, but he was there... Monday thru Friday.. just like us. Average size man probably in his mid 30's, who knew the game well. A polite, gentle man who would talk and tell stories while walking around the table and lining up his shot. A moment of silence, he'd strike the cue ball, and begin again as the balls were rolling. He become quiet as his opponent played, but as soon as it was his turn, he'd pick right back up where he left off. He'd chuckle and laugh 'til about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, leave, and come back tomorrow.

I asked him for a game a few times, but he always turned me down. Not sure why, but needless to say, I quit asking. I will say, his games seemed more lighthearted and entertaining, where I was more aggressive and competitive. No doubt he realized this, and politely said no.

Was there a year ago, and outside of this second location, not much has changed. Young people still hangin' out, playin' the latest video games, with little action in the poolroom. But right up front is the billiard and snooker tables, and sure enough The Professor was walkin' and talkin' to those who would stop and watch for a minute or two. He'd have to be in his mid 70's by now, but time has treated him well. Aged somewhat, but with the same build as I remember, and get's around the table at a nice pace. I did ask him to play, but he kindly turned me down, picked up the balls, and left.

As to a snooker game, the Union has the only table. I would like to find someone local who plays, maybe weekly or so. The younger guys show no interest. I do hope they keep the table, as I'm sure sooner or later I'll find a game.